Around the League 2020-21 part 2 *Insert funny thread title here* edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Devils retro reverse jersey kept selling out, so a few of us were flaunting ours. I got Hischier, most got Hughes, and I remember one guy posting his with Gusev. I didn't want to be negative, but I remembered thinking that was a risky choice.

Gusev had a decent second half last year but he reverted back to his bad form this season. He's skilled but has average/below average speed. He is a turnover machine in the offensive zone and totally lost in the defensive zone.

He could use a change of scenery but I just don't know any teams where he fits into a top six role and he's not the guy you want in the bottom six.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Strauss Mann would be a nice addition to the Kings' goaltending pipeline. Stick him as the starter in Ontario immediately.

I'd sign him just for the name alone.

Saw some of him during the Big 10 tourney, looked pretty darn good.

Kings are very close to the 50-contract limit (49 currently). If they can only sign one college FA, better make it count.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Devils retro reverse jersey kept selling out, so a few of us were flaunting ours. I got Hischier, most got Hughes, and I remember one guy posting his with Gusev. I didn't want to be negative, but I remembered thinking that was a risky choice.

Gusev had a decent second half last year but he reverted back to his bad form this season. He's skilled but has average/below average speed. He is a turnover machine in the offensive zone and totally lost in the defensive zone.

He could use a change of scenery but I just don't know any teams where he fits into a top six role and he's not the guy you want in the bottom six.

He chose, poorly. Would be like a Kings fan wasting a Retro Reverse on a Nikita Scherbak.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Still enjoy one person on the main boards still grasping onto Gusev putting up the same numbers to Nikita Kucherov at the World Championships one year. I reminded him of the year when Viktor Tikhonov outscored Alex Ovechkin.

Reactions: Oof and LAKings88

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
York was born in Anaheim Hills if I'm correct but did he play in So Cal and develop here before going to the USNTDP? Or was he just born here and moved away somewhere to play his youth hockey? Me personally I don't really consider him a So Cal kid if his birthplace was the only thing that associates him with Southern California. Just a thought. But I agree pretty strange considering there have been some good SoCal minor teams. But York, Johnson and Brisson are very promising prospects so we shall see.

York played jr ducks under Craig Johnson (along with his son who could probably play for Buffalo right now)

Fun fact, Adam Erne and Eric Comrie both not from SoCal played their youth hockey (well parts of it) in California. With teammate....Trevor Moore!

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
York played jr ducks under Craig Johnson (along with his son who could probably play for Buffalo right now)

Fun fact, Adam Erne and Eric Comrie both not from SoCal played their youth hockey (well parts of it) in California. With teammate....Trevor Moore!

That's pretty cool definitely a SoCal kid for sure then. Rooting for the kid but definitely not for the Flyers. Hoping he has a great career.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Strauss Mann would be a nice addition to the Kings' goaltending pipeline. Stick him as the starter in Ontario immediately.

As a beer league goalie, I hate to fault a guy for being undersized for NHL standards but it seems like many teams will pass on a goalie who isn't 6'2+. Mann would get a two year ELC, so I suppose it depends on whether the Kings are going to sign Parik/Hrenak.

For better or worse, Ingham/Villalta are signed next season, so if both Parik/Hrenak sign then all the pro spots are presumably spoken for already. I suppose you could somebody over to Europe.

Token

May 15, 2019
Hrenak is a sign or he becomes UFA.
Parik has two more years before Kings need to sign him. There is time.

Not having an ECHL farm team may be nipping the Kings a bit with the goalie pipeline.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
On Feb 6th, the Pens were 5-5-1, 23rd in the league, with 1 RW, tied for last with Det and SJ.

Since Feb 7th, the Pens are 19-6-1, best in the league, with 16 RW, also best in the league.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
On Feb 6th, the Pens were 5-5-1, 23rd in the league, with 1 RW, tied for last with Det and SJ.

Since Feb 7th, the Pens are 19-6-1, best in the league, with 16 RW, also best in the league.

They've also gone 6-1-1 since Malkin went out with a knee injury and have only given up 13 goals in those 8 games. Pretty impressive turnaround.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Ryan Johnson went to the same HS I did. It's pretty remarkable that he went from playing AAA to one season in the USHL to 1st round draft pick. He stayed home longer than a lot of kids do.

It's also pretty funny that the Jr. Ducks and Jr. Kings have both had a ton of former player's sons on the team (including guys like Selanne, Blake and Niedermayer) and the guy with the most success is Craig Johnson's kid.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He is, but he's also not a rookie

I get that, because of the KHl. But as it's his first year in the NHL, technically, he qualifies. There are other player s, like Petterson, Matthews, Panarin, who also played in Europe and won. So unless the NHL edits the qualifer to exclude players who hve played in Europe, he and others who do, still qualify.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I equate it to maybe a player coming out of college at 22. Still a rookie.

I personally don't have any problem with it but I can see why people do. I remember the age getting chopped down after...whose year was it...went off at like age 29 lol.

I've seen that some people would 'solve' this issue but taking away Calder eligibility after a couple of years of pro hockey even overseas which would make sense too. Not really fair to punish the college kids, but I can also see why some don't think it's fair to reward a guy who has played SIX professional seasons in the 2nd best league in the world as a 'best rookie'.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I get that, because of the KHl. But as it's his first year in the NHL, technically, he qualifies. There are other player s, like Petterson, Matthews, Panarin, who also played in Europe and won. So unless the NHL edits the qualifer to exclude players who hve played in Europe, he and others who do, still qualify.
Yeah I get he’s still a rookie by nhl rules, just doesn’t seem right that a guy with nearly 300 pro games who’s up to 5 years older than his competition is considered the same as an 18 year old fresh out of junior. Even college players coming out after 4 years would have played what? Half the number of games? And against college competition, not pro. Anyway it doesn’t have any effect on my life, just seems goofy.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I personally don't have any problem with it but I can see why people do. I remember the age getting chopped down after...whose year was it...went off at like age 29 lol.

I've seen that some people would 'solve' this issue but taking away Calder eligibility after a couple of years of pro hockey even overseas which would make sense too. Not really fair to punish the college kids, but I can also see why some don't think it's fair to reward a guy who has played SIX professional seasons in the 2nd best league in the world as a 'best rookie'.
Makarov won ROTY at age 31. Talk about ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad