Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
dang 4.8 is good for 3 years
7ae9022a40328de7907060acf3375d8f.jpg

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is this market price below or above? For sergachev that is

I still don’t think anyone knows what the current market looks like.

Different teams will likely be impacted in different ways and no team actually knows what the impact will be yet.

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
Apparently the Sergachev contract is back loaded. He only makes 2.8 million or something next season and the 3rd year hes owed 7 million and change.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Apparently the Sergachev contract is back loaded. He only makes 2.8 million or something next season and the 3rd year hes owed 7 million and change.
Ow. Doesn't that mean his next contract will start at 7M + 10%?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ow. Doesn't that mean his next contract will start at 7M + 10%?

Canucks return to play nears, Jack Rathbone's status and the Judd Brackett thing

I missed the memo on this, but apparently this rule was tweaked in the new CBA/Memorandum of Understanding. Now it's going to be whatever is lower between:

A) The salary of the final year of contract (Sergachev's case = 7)
B) 120% of the AAV of the contract (Sergachev's case 1.2*4.8 = 5.76)

So Sergachev's QO will be 5.76 mil.

Deals that were signed before the new agreement will go by the old rules if I'm reading correctly. The Athletic writer even declared it the "Timo Meier Rule" since his QO will be 10 million.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

There’s an Athletic article up. Boychuk had a call with reporters saying his playing career was over, because he can’t play, but he said he’s not retiring, since he would still like to get the millions contractually owed him, so if he’s going on some team’s LTIR permanently.

The article is more about him explaining how he he noticed the lack of peripheral vision in one eye in the three bubble playoffs including not seeing Matheson when he gave Boychuk a concussion with a hit in his first game of the qualifying round. He had got kicked in the eye with a skate in a game in March and received 90 stitches on his eyelid but they didn’t notice the damage to the eye then.

It’s not something that can heal I guess so that’s it. He played through it in the bubble because that’s the mentality for the playoffs but he can’t be a sitting duck for hits he can’t see coming and get more concussions.

This all sounds believable and not like an attempt to avoid playing in the AHL or circumvent the cap. Boychuk choked up a few times, I believe this is a sad thing for him, he did have a very gnarly eye injury, so it’s not some weird cover story even though I guess some people will call it “Robidas Island”.

Johnny Boychuk's Islanders career is over: 'It was a life choice'

Reactions: HBK27 and Triumph

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There’s an Athletic article up. Boychuk had a call with reporters saying his playing career was over, because he can’t play, but he said he’s not retiring, since he would still like to get the millions contractually owed him, so if he’s going on some team’s LTIR permanently.

The article is more about him explaining how he he noticed the lack of peripheral vision in one eye in the three bubble playoffs including not seeing Matheson when he gave Boychuk a concussion with a hit in his first game of the qualifying round. He had got kicked in the eye with a skate in a game in March and received 90 stitches on his eyelid but they didn’t notice the damage to the eye then.

It’s not something that can heal I guess so that’s it. He played through it in the bubble because that’s the mentality for the playoffs but he can’t be a sitting duck for hits he can’t see coming and get more concussions.

This all sounds believable and not like an attempt to avoid playing in the AHL or circumvent the cap. Boychuk choked up a few times, I believe this is a sad thing for him, he did have a very gnarly eye injury, so it’s not some weird cover story even though I guess some people will call it “Robidas Island”.

Johnny Boychuk's Islanders career is over: 'It was a life choice'

The sad truth is that pretty much every player after 15 pro seasons will have enough debilitating injuries that they can be declared unfit to play, regardless of whether or not they could take enough painkillers and go through enough pre-game stretches to continue their career. But I also think most guys would rather be out there playing than sitting and collecting a paycheck.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sergachev’s QO doesn’t matter. Kucherov and Vasilevskiy both got their 8 year/9.5m when their three year bridge deal ended and they were still RFAs.

Evolving Hockey actually has his three year deal at 4.27m but his value was always juiced by his potential future value rather than current points, minutes, etc. Sergachev was clearly pretty easy to negotiate with because both Point and Kucherov went into until training camp but this was always going to happen. Like Point, Sergachev wanted to stay on the best team in the NHL, or best situation if you want to add in taxes & winter weather, and then get his big long term deal after this bridge deal.

Cirelli and Cernak were always the only RFAs who might be moved out of desperation because they aren’t as important for the future. Cernak is cheaper and some ways a key player now in the sense that Tampa has nothing beyond the big three on defense but Cirelli is a much more productive and was one their top forwards in the regular season so neither is either is easy to lose though.

As good as Cirelli is they are paying it’s back to their excess of bigger forward contracts. If go you by Evolving Hockey Cirelli is up for more money, he’s listed at 4.489m for 3 years. Cernak is modeled at 3.693m for btw.

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
there was zero chance sergachev was ever going to be the odd man out there

Yeah I never bought that hype that they'd have to move him either, although if they did I'd also conversely think it would be a red flag.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Flyers just loaned out raffl. Hard to believe they do that if the season was starting any time soon

They're not starting January 1, but assuming they loaned Raffl to an Austrian team, it may just be a local team where he can get some game and practice time in.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Due to the NHL and NHLPA fighting it out over escrow, the season may start closer to February at a 48 game season. Read it in today’s NY Post.

Shame on you trusting Brooks to write actual info.

That being said, the timetable was this past week to get Europeans into the USA with a 2 week quarantine and a 3 week training camp. Jan 1st isn't happening.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

That being said, the timetable was this past week to get Europeans into the USA with a 2 week quarantine and a 3 week training camp. Jan 1st isn't happening.

Brooks actually is pretty good with league and labor negotiation stuff. His columns are rarely just straight reporting, though, and instead always seems mixed with supposition, gossip, and opinion. But, if you sift through, the actual reporting is usually accurate.

That said, this is why I found it odd that the Devils recalled Boqvist.

Reactions: Guttersniped

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
NYI 2nd round pick, Carrick (50% retained) or Walsh, one of McLeod/Boqvist/Merkley/Kuokkanen

I assume the best of that lot for Tampa is the 2nd, Walsh, and Boqvist. Interesting. I think Tampa can do better, but Tampa is also shipping out $7 million - $8 million in cap.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

When it comes to league issues he’s mostly accurate on the subject. Do some research before making bold statement on something we has fans know nothing, until it’s reported like Brooks did. Unless you’re a league insider.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I assume the best of that lot for Tampa is the 2nd, Walsh, and Boqvist. Interesting. I think Tampa can do better, but Tampa is also shipping out $7 million - $8 million in cap.

It’s tricky to find a sweet spot. NJ is going to see Killorn as essentially a cap dump. He’s better than a dump but he pushes another young player off the roster and he is good but not good enough to really move the needle. If what’s his face on LV was traded for a third to a VAN team looking to compete I struggle to see Killorn being worth even that much and that’s to a contending team that would actually need and want him. Maybe BOS has cap and could use Killorn to make a difference immediately and they offer something substantial for both Killorn and Cernak? COL seems done and I’m not sure that many teams have enough cap and need for Killorn to pay a premium.

Just my thoughts but if something made sense for TB wouldn’t they have done it already? They couldn’t get Johnson moved for free and at some point they are going to have to add sweeteners or move guys they don’t want to. Not sure where Killorn fits their hierarchy.

Camille the Eel

The situation with the NFL beginning to have major Covid outbreaks in a couple more teams at once this week just makes it doubly clear that playing in a quarantined bubble is the sound way to conduct pro sports right now. Between the NHL’s and NBA’s late summer experience and this current NFL model, there’s just a clear choice. MLB managed this summer, I know, but times have got much worse epidemic wise.
It’s up to the league, ownership and the union to make it work. As it’s a question of keeping our sport alive through a tough patch, they should all be motivated.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The situation with the NFL beginning to have major Covid outbreaks in a couple more teams at once this week just makes it doubly clear that playing in a quarantined bubble is the sound way to conduct pro sports right now. Between the NHL’s and NBA’s late summer experience and this current NFL model, there’s just a clear choice. MLB managed this summer, I know, but times have got much worse epidemic wise.
It’s up to the league, ownership and the union to make it work. As it’s a question of keeping our sport alive through a tough patch, they should all be motivated.

Too bad the players and the owners dont want a bubble. If they have to play in a bubble, then there will not be a season

Reactions: Camille the Eel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad