Around The League 2020-21 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Outperformed the others in ratings, too.

Outperformed who exactly? They didn't do better than the NBA, MLB or NFL...

An Oversupply Of TV Sports Led To Low Ratings

"Stanley Cup Finals: The National Hockey League season concluded on September 28 with the Stanley Cup Finals. The Tampa Bay Lightning won their second championship defeating The Dallas Stars in six games. The 2020 Finals averaged 2.03 million viewers, a 61% decline for last year’s finals and the second lowest ever, behind the 2007 Finals (Anaheim vs. Ottawa, 1.6 million viewers)."

In challenging year, NHL enters Cup Final at low

"The first three rounds of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 844,000 viewers across NBC’s TV and digital platforms, down 28% from last year (1.18M) and the smallest average through the conference finals since the current playoff TV format began in 2012."

"Other games were down significantly, with NFL competition playing a role. Airing opposite Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers debut, Sunday’s Lightning-Islanders Game 4 averaged a 0.52 (-54%) and 944,000 (-49%) on NBC — the least-watched playoff game on broadcast, in any round, since at least 2012."

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Owners, players, CBA and TV contract expiring. Talk about a perfect shitstorm that could set some teams back years if all sides don't come together - SOON. The kumbaya days of the bubble are OVER.

They actually did agree to a CBA extension a few months back, unlike MLB. But yeah it's not exactly going to be ideal to miss ANOTHER season for the second time in a generation.

I just don't understand the sky-is-falling reaction to a batch of positive cases.

When you have professional sports teams and leagues regularly testing players as a matter of protocol, positive tests are inevitable. They should be taken in stride, and there should be additional protocol to isolate those who are infected and to safeguard those who are not. And we just saw the NHL execute this damn near perfectly.

Plus let's be honest, players are gonna be a little more lax when there's no startup date for the season yet and none in sight.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lacksadaisical

2E87CD14-8B31-4BED-A7D8-E570441FE7A4.jpeg

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Owners, players, CBA and TV contract expiring. Talk about a perfect shitstorm that could set some teams back years if all sides don't come together - SOON. The kumbaya days of the bubble are OVER.

They actually did agree to a CBA extension a few months back, unlike MLB. But yeah it's not exactly going to be ideal to miss ANOTHER season for the second time in a generation.

Correct. I should've been clearer about the CBA in that the owners want concessions on an agreement that is only a few months old.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Do you read anything outside of hfboards? There's an aggressive tone I'm getting from your posts on this. Maybe I'm mistaken? I get the frustration, but there's actually been quite a bit reported on this subject lately.

aggressive tone from my words? reach much?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think "aggressive" is not the word here.

More like "snarky".

no its just stupid to me at this point. just like baseball just cancel the season at this point if you are taking weeks between talks then whats the point? a lot of people outside of just arena staff rely on work from these sports and its just sadly comical that they let so much time go by "because there isn't a rush" only then when the deadline comes to actually make an effort?

you are right though i dont read much on nhl news outside of here because i have admittingly lost some interest and at this point if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't my feelings. just sad that the players or owners wont be hurt it will be the workers that get hurt.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Another BS cap circumvention? I'll admit I don't know how all of that works, but he IS owed $6 million for each of the next 2 seasons. :rolleyes:

Reactions: glenwo2

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Another BS cap circumvention? I'll admit I don't know how all of that works, but he IS owed $6 million for each of the next 2 seasons. :rolleyes:

I believe the NHL says you can’t lie about a players injury so did this injury severity only get diagnosed later?

Boychuk ready for return to Islanders after eye injury: report

"My eye seems to be almost like 100 percent," Boychuk told the newspaper Wednesday. "There's going to be a little bit of discomfort, but not much. Nothing to have me worried about being on the ice again."

...causing his skate to lift into the air and catch Boychuk under his visor. He did not sustain any damage to his eye and said he will wear a face shield in lieu of a full cage.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I believe the NHL says you can’t lie about a players injury so did this injury severity only get diagnosed later?

Boychuk ready for return to Islanders after eye injury: report

"My eye seems to be almost like 100 percent," Boychuk told the newspaper Wednesday. "There's going to be a little bit of discomfort, but not much. Nothing to have me worried about being on the ice again."

...causing his skate to lift into the air and catch Boychuk under his visor. He did not sustain any damage to his eye and said he will wear a face shield in lieu of a full cage.

People and doctors lie about injuries under oath every single day in litigation. There are almost no negative consequences. Why should this process be any different?

Reactions: Billdo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I'm not sure it's circumvention if he truely retires. He didn't sign a 35+ contract, he'd be giving up the last 2 years of his contract pay and the Isle's would be on the hook for any recapture fees. Now, if he's "retiring" by being put on permanent LTIR, that's a different story.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not sure it's circumvention if he truely retires. He didn't sign a 35+ contract, he'd be giving up the last 2 years of his contract pay and the Isle's would be on the hook for any recapture fees. Now, if he's "retiring" by being put on permanent LTIR, that's a different story.

Clarifications appear to be he is going to LTIR, not retiring.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The only real difference for him is that he has to go to a doctor a few times a year to confirm that he's unfit to play. He's not retired and players don't really know about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad