Around The League 2020-21 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
what is going on with the season? I was surprised to see college hockey on last night and while I understand that they are two totally different entities the question still is the same. nba is coming back i believe xmas day? what is the problem with the nhl? is it just cba salaries or do they not even know what they are going to try and accomplish?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah the owners and players fight is getting worse. If they keep this up I really doubt they will start Jan 1 or even have a season.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
NBA is not as reliant on gate revenue and NCAA does not have to pay its players. NHL is in a bit of a unique situation, revenue hit will be huge.
But they knew this was going to be an issue since June! How hasn’t there been any progress? Unless your telling me the nhl was being incredibly stupid thinking there would be fans in the stands?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I imagine neither side wanted to deal with the contentious issue of rollbacks/cutting salary versus full pro rata until the last possible minute and I don’t think negotiating earlier would have helped, it took baseball three months of messy foot dragging and cutting the season by 60% to settle that issue.

Reactions: Darkauron

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
But they knew this was going to be an issue since June! How hasn’t there been any progress? Unless your telling me the nhl was being incredibly stupid thinking there would be fans in the stands?

There's nothing for the owners and players to discuss. The owners want X and the players want Y. Now nothing happens until the pressure of the prospect of a scrapped season compels one side or the other to make a concession. You can have 5 years to negotiate and it won't make any difference. Negotiations like this are a function of pressure, not time.

Look how many RFA deals are finished less than a day before the arbitration hearing. Do you think it's a coincidence that all these deals too exactly that amount of time to complete? No, neither side wants it to actually go to a hearing, so the pressure of the hearing date compels one side or another to make a concession and the other side will usually make some concession as a show of good faith, and the deal gets done.

My guess is that eventually Gary Bettman will say "if we don't have a deal by X date we will be cancelling the season" and the players and owners will either get something done or they won't.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Owners, players, CBA and TV contract expiring. Talk about a perfect shitstorm that could set some teams back years if all sides don't come together - SOON. The kumbaya days of the bubble are OVER.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There's nothing for the owners and players to discuss. The owners want X and the players want Y. Now nothing happens until the pressure of the prospect of a scrapped season compels one side or the other to make a concession. You can have 5 years to negotiate and it won't make any difference. Negotiations like this are a function of pressure, not time.

Look how many RFA deals are finished less than a day before the arbitration hearing. Do you think it's a coincidence that all these deals too exactly that amount of time to complete? No, neither side wants it to actually go to a hearing, so the pressure of the hearing date compels one side or another to make a concession and the other side will usually make some concession as a show of good faith, and the deal gets done.

My guess is that eventually Gary Bettman will say "if we don't have a deal by X date we will be cancelling the season" and the players and owners will either get something done or they won't.

then don't let it go til jan before you feel pressure and have to make a decision. have a hard out in oct?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
CBJ had a bunch of players test positive

not feeling great about the possibilities of a season

Yeah, it's gonna happen - the NHL just needs to be prepared for it.

They're going to have to go with a shorter schedule to build in some extra time for makeup games.

They're going to have to figure out testing - maybe each team gets tested the morning of with results available prior to warm-ups.

They may have to have some extra players available for call-ups if certain players come down with it and need to quarantine.

If any player/coach wants to opt-out of the upcoming season, give them the option.

At the end of the day, there is very little risk for the players if they do come down with it as they are elite athletes. Additional precautions may need to be take for older coaches and any individuals with conditions that put them at a higher risk.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Do you read anything outside of hfboards? There's an aggressive tone I'm getting from your posts on this. Maybe I'm mistaken? I get the frustration, but there's actually been quite a bit reported on this subject lately.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just don't understand the sky-is-falling reaction to a batch of positive cases.

When you have professional sports teams and leagues regularly testing players as a matter of protocol, positive tests are inevitable. They should be taken in stride, and there should be additional protocol to isolate those who are infected and to safeguard those who are not. And we just saw the NHL execute this damn near perfectly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just don't understand the sky-is-falling reaction to a batch of positive cases.

When you have professional sports teams and leagues regularly testing players as a matter of protocol, positive tests are inevitable. They should be taken in stride, and there should be additional protocol to isolate those who are infected and to safeguard those who are not. And we just saw the NHL execute this damn near perfectly.
If I’m not mistaken, I remember some players tested positive back in June, right before the restart?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If I’m not mistaken, I remember some players tested positive back in June, right before the restart?

Yes, and that’s kind of my point. The positive cases were inevitable, but they didn’t derail the Return to Play because the league planned well and implemented safeguards. The NHL never had entire teams missing weeks at a time. Hell, we fans even got “extra” hockey, if you look at the play-in and round robin that way—versus cancelling the preseason.

The league developed a thorough and thoughtful plan, and they executed it very well. And we should all take pride in that because, for once, the NHL was the leader of the pack, creating a blueprint for other leagues to follow. No major COVID derailments, no dilution of the product, etc. Outperformed the others in ratings, too.

In other words, thank Christ the league didn’t have the same apocalyptic, shut-it-all-down reaction to RTP positive cases as some are having now. There’s no reason the league can’t adapt to the current circumstances, especially after seeing them exceed all expectations over the summer. Great moments are born from great opportunity...

If people want to be pessimistic about league/player tensions, so be it. That’s definitely a question mark. But a batch of positive cases? We’ve already overcome that.

Reactions: HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad