Around the League: 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
as much as i hate to do it, biega may be harder than usual to sneak through waivers this year with so many cap starved teams, so some thought needs to be given to whether we recover value for him now or commit a roster spot.

Biega should be this team's #5 defender. He's a better player than Tyler Myers right now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Biega should be this team's #5 defender. He's a better player than Tyler Myers right now.

now there is a strategy. if we sign myers for the rumoured price we can waive him anytime we want and paper him down to deal with roster issues.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Leafs signed Johnsson and Kapanen to great deals... they are stacked upfront... D looks like dreadful... I took a look at it:

Current approximate roster:

Hyman-Tavares-(Marner)
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Brown-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Petan

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Rosen - Holl

Andersen, Sparks

Forwards (11) = $47.3 mil
Dmen (6) = $15.8 mil
Goalies (2) = $5.75 mil
Horton = $5.3 mil
Dead space = $1.2 mil

$75.3 mil for 19 roster players.

If they wanted Marner on the opening day cap compliant roster with an assumed $11.5 mil salary... they would need to clear $5.3 of cap space before opening night to be compliant.

If they sign him a minute after the opening season cap compliant roster submission - then they can activate Horton's LTIR and they don't have to shed or hide any salary. - This would mean no camp or pre-season for Marner.

THAT's the way it stands at the moment.

The Leafs aren't even CLOSE to finished shedding salary since the above doesn't have room for carrying healthy scratches/depth.

So they still need to make moves to still get some wiggle room and upgrade their D.

I don't think there is ANY doubt Kadri is as good as gone now... IF they want to upgrade their D.

They cant simply "shed" Zaitsev... since creates another hole and they don't achieve anything by doing that. Has to be a hockey trade.

NOW Dubas has to get creative.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That Burakovsky deal makes me significantly more intrigued by what Goldobin could potentially be swung for.

Burakovsky was in basically the exact same situation as Ben Hutton and a similar-calibre player, except he required an even higher QO. There was some talk Washington wouldn't qualify him as a result.

They did, and get two high draft picks for him. You wonder what a mentally competent GM could have got for Hutton.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Burakovsky was in basically the exact same situation as Ben Hutton and a similar-calibre player, except he required an even higher QO. There was some talk Washington wouldn't qualify him as a result.

They did, and get two high draft picks for him. You wonder what a mentally competent GM could have got for Hutton.

very similar contract positions, but i would have been very happy if we traded hutton for burakovsky.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I wanna say I’m surprised by another one of your wild take
But I’m not
I would agree with him. This past season, better than Biega were Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher. He was clearly better than Pouliot, Gudbranson and Del Zotto.

This coming season Hughes leap frogs him, hopefully, and more likely than not one of the other top 4 goes elsewhere.

#5 doesn't seem like a controversial take at all.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I would agree with him. This past season, better than Biega were Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Stecher. He was clearly better than Pouliot, Gudbranson and Del Zotto.

This coming season Hughes leap frogs him, hopefully, and more likely than not one of the other top 4 goes elsewhere.

#5 doesn't seem like a controversial take at all.
I mean the “better than Myers” part.
Myers isn’t as good as the old school ppl think, but Biega isn’t THAT good either

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
More on Burakovsky...

Caps wanted him a third line role moving forward but he requested a trade last year. They didn’t move him at the deadline as they wanted to maintain depth so had limited options. Now that’s it offseason they were able to move him for picks. Burakovsky asked to be dealt to a team who could give him more of a top 6 role. So I wouldn’t be shocked that he signs a reasonable 1 year show me deal with the Avs.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Explain why you disagree.

I've been told it was a 'wild take' that Biega was better than Sbisa and Gudbranson and others and now pretty much everyone would agree that that's the case, and by a wide margin.

I would say Biega should have been playing as the #5 on the Canucks the last few years. No doubt. You’ll get no argument from me on that. But I think for a team that wants to actually be good you need him in a 7/8 spot. In that spot, given injuries he’s going to be in your top 6 nearly every night and that is perfectly acceptable. I don’t think you want him in your healthy top 5 or 6 and needing to rely on him for 22 minutes Edler or Tanev go down.

Also...Knights trade Miller to the Sabres for 2021 2nd and 2022 5th.

Personally I’d rather pay that for this Miller, keep the assets instead of the Miller they got (or at least knock it down to something reasonable) and not sign Myers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Club

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would say Biega should have been playing as the #5 on the Canucks the last few years. No doubt. You’ll get no argument from me on that. But I think for a team that wants to actually be good you need him in a 7/8 spot. In that spot, given injuries he’s going to be in your top 6 nearly every night and that is perfectly acceptable. I don’t think you want him in your healthy top 5 or 6 and needing to rely on him for 22 minutes Edler or Tanev go down.

Also...Knights trade Miller to the Sabres for 2021 2nd and 2022 5th

Any team that has 7 defenders better on merit than Alex Biega has the best blueline in the NHL by a country mile. Biega should have been playing top-4 minutes on this shambles of a defense the past couple years but on a good blueline should be on the 3rd pairing.

That Colin Miller deal will look brilliant next to the contracts given to Gardiner and Myers. Can't believe a skill RHD making what he is would be traded for so little.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Colin Miller gone to Buffalo for 2021 2nd and 2022 5th

Fak why cant we do a deal like that??

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Highly doubt Vegas wants to do a solid for a divisional team looking for a defenseman. They were never going to trade with us.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
biega's minutes did increase steadily all season last year. if they think biega can play the minutes they gave him in march, maybe he's our number one dman and tanev is trade bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad