Around the League: 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Apparently Luongo might stay with the Florida org. in some way so he might end up getting back some or all of the money he left on the table I guess?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Retire and we'll pay you 3M to be a special advisor to the GM where it doesn't count against the cap.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Looks like I will have to "take the L" on this. I never thought it would actually happen thst the canucks would actually get hit with recapture. Still sorta feel like there will be a way out of it since it makes zero sense, but I also never considered thst Gloria would actually prefer a recapture to dealing with LTIR and basically force Luongo to either play or forfeit his salary.

Interesting.

It's a really bizarre result that doesn't make really any sense for any of the parties involved.

And yeah, it is 'classic Canucks' to end up being the one team burned by this while every other team doing the same thing got off totally fine. And to be burned because the player actually *is* injured unlike most other cases but the team holding his rights would prefer the recapture penalty to the LTIR stuff, and forced the player to play or retire. It's nuts.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's a really bizarre result that doesn't make really any sense for any of the parties involved.

And yeah, it is 'classic Canucks' to end up being the one team burned by this while every other team doing the same thing got off totally fine. And to be burned because the player actually *is* injured unlike most other cases but the team holding his rights would prefer the recapture penalty to the LTIR stuff, and forced the player to play or retire. It's nuts.

? It makes total sense for Florida, who save $3.6M in cash and can deal with a $1M cap recapture penalty easily.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
"Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities."...Elliott Friedman

Looks like he's not coming to the Canucks?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
"Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities."...Elliott Friedman

Unless someone slipped a NTC into his ELC he'll go where he is sent.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'm getting real tired of seeing every player attached to Tampa Bay in some way. Rumor has it Pavelski is signing there. Like, how?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

thank god.

i hear Finland is pretty quiet Jesse

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
The Finnish Enclave in South Carolina, I mean, the Canes traded for Erik Haula in exchange for Nicolas Roy and a 5th, because they needed to get under the cap. It'd be real nice if Canucks would get these kind of deals done. 29 goals in 17-18 and .5ppg pace in 18-19, before season ending injury production for an AHL:er and a late pick is quite a sweet deal. Is this really the real Don Waddell who is doing this stuff in Carolina?

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canes made nice trade in helping Vegas get a bit of cap relief.

Haula for Nicholas Roy and 5th round pick. Roy is a 22 year old middling prospect.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canes made nice trade in helping Vegas get a bit of cap relief.

Haula for Nicholas Roy and 5th round pick. Roy is a 22 year old middling prospect.

Hell of a deal for Carolina - Haula is going to look good in Carolina.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
wow, just had a look at the vegas contract situation to see how the haula deal helped. vegas is still in cap hell. only one goalie, 12 forwards and 6 dmen under contract and they are within $500k of the cap (not counting clarkson).

they still need to trade some salary bad. moving miller does not get it done as they have to replace him.

their only one player move is fix this to get someone to take patches, and i am not sure that is enough. barring that, they need to move miller and swap someone else and find some cheap warm bodies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
wow, just had a look at the vegas contract situation to see how the haula deal helped. vegas is still in cap hell. only one goalie, 12 forwards and 6 dmen under contract and they are within $500k of the cap (not counting clarkson).

they still need to trade some salary bad. moving miller does not get it done as they have to replace him.

their only one player move is fix this to get someone to take patches, and i am not sure that is enough. barring that, they need to move miller and swap someone else and find some cheap warm bodies.

This is where Brannstrom would've really came in handy for them this upcoming season. Still absolutely shocked they dealt him for Stone, instead of trading/pushing to trade Glass instead.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He didn't demand to go to anywhere.

The word 'preference' is quite literally in that sentence.

dangerous game by his agent to be expressing preferences. he really should still just not talk at all and wait. the more he talks like he is still a guy who has some say where he goes, the more inclined holland will be to bury him and the more he comes across as a headache who will be less attractive to anyone else.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is where Brannstrom would've really came in handy for them this upcoming season. Still absolutely shocked they dealt him for Stone, instead of trading/pushing to trade Glass instead.

interesting to speculate what kind of return we might get for a cheap contract like virtanen or biega.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
VHTOs7E.png

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
interesting to speculate what kind of return we might get for a cheap contract like virtanen or biega.

Instead of going hard in FA, we should be all over Vegas trying to pry another good player from them. I would heavily pursue Colin Miller via trade than Tyler Myers via FA.

Miller is also the better player, to begin with.

Tableau Public

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is a bit perverse and arbitrary that the impact of the recapture hit gets worse as the player plays longer.

maybe poile and benning can persuade the nhl to allow those penalties to be paid down over 5 years.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as much as i hate to do it, biega may be harder than usual to sneak through waivers this year with so many cap starved teams, so some thought needs to be given to whether we recover value for him now or commit a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad