Around the League: 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
And to rehash the argument I had then, I’d take my chances with Holland over the potential of Jimbo sneaking into the playoffs and getting another 3-year extension.

Can’t limit Benning’s term because we just don’t know what Aqua will do. In that sense, it’s Holland without question. He towers over Benning in terms of ability. I would make that swap right now.

One of the funniest things on this sub-forum is being saddled with Benning and then casting stones at other franchises for their dinosaur GM... Like, that sound cannot be more hollow. (Chandler voice)

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Can’t limit Benning’s term because we just don’t know what Aqua will do. In that sense, it’s Holland without question. He towers over Benning in terms of ability. I would make that swap right now.

One of the funniest things on this sub-forum is being saddled with Benning and then casting stones at other franchises for their dinosaur GM... Like, that sound cannot be more hollow. (Chandler voice)

That doesn't really make any sense. I did not choose this glass house.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bizarre offseason for them. Normally a new GM comes in and puts a stamp on his team but it’s been just nothing.

Signed two horrible players in Mike Smith and Granlund. Gave another horrible player in Chiasson a huge raise because McDavid bounced 20 pucks off him. And that’s really it.

Hard to imagine them moving forward.

Hard to see what else they could do while she's down by bad contracts like Lucic. They need to give up a lot of futures to clear that mess.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That doesn't really make any sense. I did not choose this glass house.

But you're in it, and you're choosing to cast stones from it. That makes no sense.

Good is good. It doesn't matter if the GM is a dinosaur or an analytics guru. If he can execute at a higher efficiency than other GMs, usually, that will lead to good fortune.

Now granted, Holland hasn't been doing that in recent years. His performance has fallen off. Perhaps 2 of his last 5 years have been good. That said, I would take that performance over a 3rd of the performances around the league during that time. Maybe more. So it's all relative.

So easy to besmirch the record of a once great GM around here. The VAN boards, of all places...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
But you're in it, and you're choosing to cast stones from it. That makes no sense.

Good is good. It doesn't matter if the GM is a dinosaur or an analytics guru. If he can execute at a higher efficiency than other GMs, usually, that will lead to good fortune.

Now granted, Holland hasn't been doing that in recent years. His performance has fallen off. Perhaps 2 of his last 5 years have been good. That said, I would take that performance over a 3rd of the performances around the league during that time. Maybe more. So it's all relative.

So easy to besmirch the record of a once great GM around here. The VAN boards, of all places...

Your premise is extremely flawed.

The idea that I cannot criticize the GM of another team because the team in my city also has a terrible GM doesn't hold up under scrutiny and I would suggest you think about it a bit more.

Benning and Holland are both terrible GM's. I would want neither running my favourite team.

Fandom is not a house.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Your premise is extremely flawed.

The idea that I cannot criticize the GM of another team because the team in my city also has a terrible GM doesn't hold up under scrutiny and I would suggest you think about it a bit more.

Benning and Holland are both terrible GM's. I would want neither running my favourite team.

Fandom is not a house.

You can criticize another team's GM. You just did so. That criticism though rings extremely hollow considering what is here. Considering what is your vantage point as a fan. Especially when you are using a 1 year baseline of Benning to judge the change.

Oh, and I disagree with you that both Benning and Holland are terrible GMs. Benning is, yes.

Beyond that, continue on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->