Around the league 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm pretty sure the regular season is over. But you know the league will do everything in their power to try and recoup some revenue, so I could see a delayed playoff season. And the players will go along because the cap is going to get destroyed the more revenue the league loses.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Jesus if the NBA suspends the season surely the NHL will follow suit.

The mass hysteria is far worse than the actual virus itself.
I thought so first as well but I'm feeling differently after doing some research. While younger people are much less likely to be seriously harmed we do hold a lot of potential for infecting people in the >60 age bracket that are more at risk.

Not only that but the virus is spreading quite quickly and we have no idea what the long term ramifications are nor any vaccine.

It's something that can affect many, many people and it wasn't taken seriously enough here in the US, hence the lack of testing or even the lack of plan to get people tested. Only 8,000 people in California have been tested.

Reactions: Sojourn

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I thought so first as well but I'm feeling differently after doing some research. While younger people are much less likely to be seriously harmed we do hold a lot of potential for infecting people in the >60 age bracket that are more at risk.

Not only that but the virus is spreading quite quickly and we have no idea what the long term ramifications are nor any vaccine.

It's something that can affect many, many people and it wasn't taken seriously enough here in the US, hence the lack of testing or even the lack of plan to get people tested. Only 8,000 people in California have been tested.

Yeah the more I read about it, the more I change my mind on it too. My comments yesterday were pretty ignorant.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm pretty sure the regular season is over. But you know the league will do everything in their power to try and recoup some revenue, so I could see a delayed playoff season. And the players will go along because the cap is going to get destroyed the more revenue the league loses.

They will try and make it up with the playoffs. I don’t see how they can make up these games. Unless they push the playoffs and it runs till like end of July? That would be nuts.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
They will try and make it up with the playoffs. I don’t see how they can make up these games. Unless they push the playoffs and it runs till like end of July? That would be nuts.

Have only 1.5-2 months off for the stanley cup winner/runner-up, that would be nuts.

They could shorten the lengths of the series for the playoffs - best of 5? First round best of 3. Still losing money on revenue because not as many games but at least its something.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m sure that if they can they will play the playoffs no matter the delay (assuming they can sell tickets). Both the owners and players stand to take a financial beating no matter what. Now if they can only play in empty arenas then I’m not so sure they will.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Have only 1.5-2 months off for the stanley cup winner/runner-up, that would be nuts.

They could shorten the lengths of the series for the playoffs - best of 5? First round best of 3. Still losing money on revenue because not as many games but at least its something.
Solutions like that would definitely be in play. They could even do (for example) best of 3 in the first rounds and then best of 5 in the later rounds.

The comment from the NHL about willing to make the cup this year, really got me thinking about this. Obviously, pending the outbreak from the virus, but I`m sure many actions can be taken. Still - I don`t think it will be in front of the crowds, even if a solution is found and agreed.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dylan Strome reportedly made available.

6`3 center just turned 23 years and with 105 p in 164 games so far in the NHL

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Dylan Strome reportedly made available.

6`3 center just turned 23 years and with 105 p in 164 games so far in the NHL

It is a bit weird why he is available, don't Chicago need a 2nd line center? Or do they expect that Dach will be taking his spot starting next season?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It is a bit weird why he is available, don't Chicago need a 2nd line center? Or do they expect that Dach will be taking his spot starting next season?
Even if Dach is taking over, Toews will start next year being 32 years old. And 6`3 center still as an RFA is not a bad asset.
Weird situation, would be interested to have him but don`t see us as a good trading partner

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just checked the 2015 draft: Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

So the Bruins had 3 picks in a row, they picked Zboril, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn. Only DeBrusk has been an NHL regular.
Right after these 3 picks other teams picked Barzal, Connor and Chabot - all three are all star level players.
Man, that would sting. But Bruins are pretty good at drafting outside of this mindblowing set of picks IIRC

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Strome would present a problem for the expansion draft, unless a player we were going to protect went the other way. He's also about to hit the time when he starts getting paid real money.

Reactions: Kalv

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Just checked the 2015 draft: Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

So the Bruins had 3 picks in a row, they picked Zboril, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn. Only DeBrusk has been an NHL regular.
Right after these 3 picks other teams picked Barzal, Connor and Chabot - all three are all star level players.
Man, that would sting. But Bruins are pretty good at drafting outside of this mindblowing set of picks IIRC

Interesting is that at even at the time Bruins got critizised for those picks so it wasn't like they were supposed to be great and just didn't pan out but they were considered as questionable picks even then. Of course it is still possible that Zboril and Seneshyn turn into NHL players but I doubt they will be anywhere near those next three guys. I don't know much about Senyshyn, Zboril I think could be a bottom pairing guy, which is disappointing considering where he was taken.

I was quite surprised to notice that Carlo has played the most games out of the players drafted by Bruins in 2015.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Interesting is that at even at the time Bruins got critizised for those picks so it wasn't like they were supposed to be great and just didn't pan out but they were considered as questionable picks even then. Of course it is still possible that Zboril and Seneshyn turn into NHL players but I doubt they will be anywhere near those next three guys. I don't know much about Senyshyn, Zboril I think could be a bottom pairing guy, which is disappointing considering where he was taken.

I was quite surprised to notice that Carlo has played the most games out of the players drafted by Bruins in 2015.
Senyshyn sucks. 16 points in 42 games in his 3rd full AHl season. I still am blown away they picked him over Connor

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If anyone wants to laugh there’s a poll in the main forum where 40 percent of voters actually think the 2012 kings would beat the 2007 Ducks in a 7 game series.

What a joke. They had a better 1C and third pairing (which is irrelevant as ours never played) and I would say the goalies are a wash. Every other area we dominate them in.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If anyone wants to laugh there’s a poll in the main forum where 40 percent of voters actually think the 2012 kings would beat the 2007 Ducks in a 7 game series.

What a joke. They had a better 1C and third pairing (which is irrelevant as ours never played) and I would say the goalies are a wash. Every other area we dominate them in.
I love JS but there’s no way he’s a wash against Quick that year. In 2003, yeah sure.

ducks still win in 4 or 5

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I love JS but there’s no way he’s a wash against Quick that year. In 2003, yeah sure.

yeah quick is the only upgrade that '12 kings team has over the ducks

the shutdown line made heatley-spezza-alfredsson disappear. they would have had no issues with the kings top line. their forwards wouldn't have even been able to get past the shutdown line. and then there's still niedermayer/pronger on the blueline. the ducks win that series in 5

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I don’t know he was lights out against Detroit. He wasn’t tested near as much as Quick outside of that series (as nobody else put up any sort of a fight) but in that series he was brilliant. I guess I’m going on the assumption that if he was consistently tested he would have been just as good.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The 2012 Kings weren’t even the best Kings team to win the cup this decade. 2012 was the perfect storm of them getting hot and dominating their first two series and then facing two of the worst CF and SCF opponents post lockout.

Other than Detroit in 2008 I don’t think there is a better cup winner post lockout than our 2007 team. Having two Norris level Dmen, a low end number 1 Dman and the best shutdown line in the league to go with Teemu, Jiggy, Getz etc was insane.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don’t know he was lights out against Detroit. He wasn’t tested near as much as Quick outside of that series (as nobody else put up any sort of a fight) but in that series he was brilliant. I guess I’m going on the assumption that if he was consistently tested he would have been just as good.
Jiggy was a big game player, I'd happily put him at his peak against Quick. That f***ing '12 Kings team is just the '03 Ducks with a better 1D and a decade-older Brodeur as an opponent.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah and no Stevens or Niedermaywr on the blue line for NJ in 2012.

03 Giguere vs 2012 Quick would be a great series.
2 Conn Smytge winners going At it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad