Around The League 2019-20 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Take it with a huge grain of salt since it's not coming from one of the main guys obviously.

Would be surprised to see Severson dealt given the lack of quality D on the team and his age, but guess we'll see how things play out the next few days.

Reactions: Guttersniped

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The organization put Subban out there front and center before he ever stepped onto the Prudential ice as a Devil, as if he had done anything to warrant that. The press conference with the drummers and robe. The We Are the Ones video. Let's not forget the Subbanator bobblehead. That idea was sprung within two months of his acquisition. Has anyone in the marketing/promotions department ever hear of Nico Hischier? How about Blake Coleman? No, let's promote PK Subban. Hockey trade my butt. It was a marketing trade FIRST, hockey trade second. A BAD trade all around.

It was probably both close to equally tbh. Sure they wanted a big name who they could market but they were also trying to win (otherwise why bother trading for Gusev or doing a faux dance about keeping Hall?) and thought PK would still be a #1 defenseman for at least this year and next. Absolutely nobody on either side of the border thought he'd crater like he has.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Take it with a huge grain of salt since it's not coming from one of the main guys obviously.

Would be surprised to see Severson dealt given the lack of quality D on the team and his age, but guess we'll see how things play out the next few days.

He has Bruins, Avs, and Oilers along with “unnamed” team in on Coleman so I’m not sure he has a great pulse on Devils doings.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah this guy's been mocked on multiple occasions, I don't remember him actually breaking anything so he's basically Eklund level.

Not that I'd be completely shocked to see Severson dealt but at this point someone's gonna have to really overpay otherwise why bother? You can't play Subban, Ty Smith and four Matt Tennyson's next year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He has Bruins, Avs, and Oilers along with “unnamed” team in on Coleman so I’m not sure he has a great pulse on Devils doings.

It has pretty much been confirmed that the Bruins, Oilers and Avs were in on Coleman, so not sure what you're trying to say.

I don't follow him, so I don't know a whole lot about his track record which is why I said to take it with a grain of salt, but if that's what he was saying about Coleman it's rather accurate.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
"Nearly firsts" aren't firsts though and it's not right using that as part of the argument. NOBODY would've given up two firsts plus Davies for him. They're seconds and should be addressed as such.

That's fair, I just think it's a mistake to think about those 2nd rounders the same way we think about the late 2nd rounders that get traded at the deadline. Maybe it would be better to just say we paid two high 2nd round picks in addition to Davies for Subban.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It was probably both close to equally tbh. Sure they wanted a big name who they could market but they were also trying to win (otherwise why bother trading for Gusev or doing a faux dance about keeping Hall?) and thought PK would still be a #1 defenseman for at least this year and next. Absolutely nobody on either side of the border thought he'd crater like he has.

FWIW, I always just thought it was a hockey trade. The guy was literally two seasons removed from a Norris nomination and it seemed like he had an off year due to injury. Let's not forget that Ray was widely praised for making the deal at the time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
FWIW, I always just thought it was a hockey trade. The guy was literally two seasons removed from a Norris nomination and it seemed like he had an off year due to injury. Let's not forget that Ray was widely praised for making the deal at the time.

Well 'if' you had the owners leaning on Ray to do the deal as was rumored in the wake of his firing then clearly both marketing and hockey were involved.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

He never really seemed to have scoops that turn out but I remember once when looking at his profile that Tom Fitzgerald follows him (TJFITZ (@tjf1097) | Twitter) but since his account is protected now I can't see if he does anymore and I'm not about to go through the list and check lol.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

#NoMoreTwitterBoobs :fence:

Reactions: Darkauron

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Well 'if' you had the owners leaning on Ray to do the deal as was rumored in the wake of his firing then clearly both marketing and hockey were involved.

I don't know, I never really believed that. I think it's much more likely that the owners gave Shero the green light to go big fish hunting and that's what he came back with.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He never really seemed to have scoops that turn out but I remember once when looking at his profile that Tom Fitzgerald follows him (TJFITZ (@tjf1097) | Twitter) but since his account is protected now I can't see if he does anymore and I'm not about to go through the list and check lol.

LeBrun, McKenzie, Dreger, Kevin Weekes, Mike Morreale & Scott Wheeler all follow him, which gives him some credibility in my book.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
LeBrun, McKenzie, Dreger, Kevin Weekes, Mike Morreale & Scott Wheeler all follow him, which gives him some credibility in my book.
yeah he probably has some connections but I don't think he's ever really called anything. He's not really on the level of those guys who usually only report things if it's going to happen.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
That trade was not a huge setback. It wasn’t that expensive because we absorbed the entire contract, which means nothing to us because we won’t be a cap team for the remainder of his contract.

Nothing of major value was lost in that trade.

Agreed, we gave up next to nothing to get him because we had the space to eat the entire contract.

Perhaps more importantly, with only two years left on his contract and us moving in a younger and therefore cheaper direction, we can absolutely afford to eat half of his contract for its remaining duration in order to facilitate a trade at some point.

Yes he has underperformed but our team in general is absolutely dreadful and he’s been paired with literal scrubs. He’s still a solid RHD, teams will be falling over themselves to trade for PK at 4.5m for another 2 years.

Our ability to eat money in the short-term means we can likely get a better return for him than what we gave up, should we choose to do so. I would expect he’s more of an offseason move than a TDL sale however.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
yeah he probably has some connections but I don't think he's ever really called anything. He's not really on the level of those guys who usually only report things if it's going to happen.

Yeah, I agree with all this.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Agreed, we gave up next to nothing to get him because we had the space to eat the entire contract.

Perhaps more importantly, with only two years left on his contract and us moving in a younger and therefore cheaper direction, we can absolutely afford to eat half of his contract for its remaining duration in order to facilitate a trade at some point.

Yes he has underperformed but our team in general is absolutely dreadful and he’s been paired with literal scrubs. He’s still a solid RHD, teams will be falling over themselves to trade for PK at 4.5m for another 2 years.

Our ability to eat money in the short-term means we can likely get a better return for him than what we gave up, should we choose to do so. I would expect he’s more of an offseason move than a TDL sale however.

There’s no way this team is eating 9 million dollars to move Subban. That’s a enormous amount of money. I’m skeptical that they would spend 4 million on the Backes cap dump, but maybe that happens? They definitely aren’t spending 9 million to move the defenseman who’s 2nd in ice time on this team. Fans need to recognize that teams won’t spend 9m, plus the salary of the replacement, for a 1st round draft pick.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There’s no way this team is eating 9 million dollars to move Subban. That’s a enormous amount of money. I’m skeptical that they would spend 4 million on the Backes cap dump, but maybe that happens? They definitely aren’t spending 9 million to move the defenseman who’s 2nd in ice time on this team. Fans need to recognize that teams won’t spend 9m, plus the salary of the replacement, for a 1st round draft pick.

Unless we're getting into a whole owners are being cheap discussion, what else are they going to spend it on? They have nearly $30 million in cap space for next year and that's before they make any decisions on trading (or not) Palmieri, Gusev and Zajac this offseason.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

So we are absolutely keeping Severson, which is what I expected tbh.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Unless we're getting into a whole owners are being cheap discussion, what else are they going to spend it on? They have nearly $30 million in cap space for next year and that's before they make any decisions on trading (or not) Palmieri, Gusev and Zajac this offseason.

We are going to spend 15 of that to sign Hall for a single season and flip him at the deadline again :D

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shero traded away our 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 2nd round picks. This was never a rebuild, Shero got Hall and a 1st overall and then he was off to the races.

They got a 2019 2nd back in the Johansson trade, they got a 2021 2nd back for Greene, they're AT LEAST going to get a 2020 2nd back for Vatanen...you're making it out like the cupboard was made barren. They also never traded a 1st round pick and already have two other firsts next year plus Foote who just got taken with a 1st.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad