Around The League 2019-20 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Unless we're getting into a whole owners are being cheap discussion, what else are they going to spend it on? They have nearly $30 million in cap space for next year and that's before they make any decisions on trading (or not) Palmieri, Gusev and Zajac this offseason.

Bratt and Blackwood do need contracts, but yeah, that won't soak up much.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’ve always thought that PK and Gusev were part of a short term compete plan designed to convince Hall to sign. I think Shero fully realized that the team stunk but he probably wasn’t confident that Hall could be sold on the team’s potential. It backfired and ownership was upset at how it all played out. It may have cost the Devils a decent player but it was a calculated risk. Sometimes those don’t work out.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
NFL expanding season and playoffs. All you guys should start to cherish the current 16 team 7 game we have now it’s gone as soon as they can

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't think Shero was so zero-sum about his signings/trades.

He had a two fold approach to anyone who wasn't a kid: try to make the team more competitive in the short term and flip them if necessary.

Hall, Boyle, Lovejoy, Palmieri, Johansson, Simmonds - all guys well known, established and tradeable. Most if not all of them also were great human beings. Coleman's emergence is a fantastic bonus to this group.

It was always a rebuild, but attempting to open the competitive window earlier without flipping young players or 1sts is a part of rebuilding. Being around success is a big component of building a culture. They f***ed up the success part with the coaching and the mix of players but I think the overall approach is very sensible.

Really if you're quibbling with it, you're saying we should've tore it all down much earlier. Possibly, sure. We might have McDavid, Matthews or whoever instead of what we have now. But we're here now and I think selling high on whoever you can is what works. Draft all these kids, let the cream rise and wreck the league for 10-15 years once more.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even if the NFL expands its season (which is not official yet) and baseball expands to their proposed dopey playoff format, how exactly is the NHL going to expand theirs? Both leagues are trying to catch up to the NBA/NHL in terms of engaging more fanbases for longer in a long regular season. The darn playoffs is long enough here, the only thing you could conceivably do is add a current form of the wild-card game with the 8th and 9th seeds in each conference, or - ahem - what's currently the second and third wild cards in the Bettman NHL lol.

You already have to play a possible 28 games over two months to win the Cup, any further expansion of the playoffs or even the regular season aside from maybe those one-gamers (which would fit in between the break you already get between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs) would be ludicrous.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Even if the NFL expands its season (which is not official yet) and baseball expands to their proposed dopey playoff format, how exactly is the NHL going to expand theirs? Both leagues are trying to catch up to the NBA/NHL in terms of engaging more fanbases for longer in a long regular season. The darn playoffs is long enough here, the only thing you could conceivably do is add a current form of the wild-card game with the 8th and 9th seeds in each conference, or - ahem - what's currently the second and third wild cards in the Bettman NHL lol.

You already have to play a possible 28 games over two months to win the Cup, any further expansion of the playoffs or even the regular season aside from maybe those one-gamers (which would fit in between the break you already get between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs) would be ludicrous.

The wear and tear on teams in the playoffs is already immense. Adding more games is going to shorten careers even further. Teams will have hangovers since the offseason will be even shorter and will decrease the likelyhood teams winning 2 years in a row will fall more.

Besides, it's hard enough to get the casual sports fan to watch the NHL in January. Most can't be bothered when the weather gets nice outside

Reactions: Darkauron

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I didn’t say it would be smart but if all 3 leagues adopt changes the nhl isn’t going to be left holding the bag. That bag being full of $$$$ I’m sure they will have to give up something to the pa to get it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Panthers are so deep, they traded stud Denis Malgin to the Leafs.

He was a huge favorite of you know who at the time. I think he might have even said we should have drafted him (he went at 102nd overall) instead of Blackwood (42nd overall), but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I know there was some question of us drafting whoever else we drafted that year ahead of him instead of him.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Panthers are so deep, they traded stud Denis Malgin to the Leafs.

He was a huge favorite of you know who at the time. I think he might have even said we should have drafted him (he went at 102nd overall) instead of Blackwood (42nd overall), but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I know there was some question of us drafting whoever else we drafted that year ahead of him instead of him.

Florida didn’t even have room for Jacob MacDonald, so they long ago showed how stacked they are.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’ve always thought that PK and Gusev were part of a short term compete plan designed to convince Hall to sign. I think Shero fully realized that the team stunk but he probably wasn’t confident that Hall could be sold on the team’s potential. It backfired and ownership was upset at how it all played out. It may have cost the Devils a decent player but it was a calculated risk. Sometimes those don’t work out.
I think Shero, like just about every one else, thought we were a team ready to make some noise. Maybe not a legit title contender, but a team that absolutely would be fighting for a playoff spot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Pacific is so close. What do we want to happen? I'd like Arizona to miss out and Vancouver get in bc that'll give us three 1sts this year. I'm assuming everyone feels the same.
So if Vancouver misses the playoffs we don't get their pick until next year?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think Shero, like just about every one else, thought we were a team ready to make some noise. Maybe not a legit title contender, but a team that absolutely would be fighting for a playoff spot.

i dont even know why its being debated of course shero thought we would compete esp with jack on board. you don't trade for suban and gusev if you thought this team wasn't competing for a playoff spot

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
with the tv contract coming up how does everyone feel about espn/disney getting hockey games back?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
indifferent. i like the the nbcsn coverage and with nhl network there are enough games and live hockey outside of the devils to satisfy me. it'll be good for the sport i guess to get more visibility but the cable landscape is a lot different than it was when espn was literally the only national channel to watch sports, so who knows if it matters. downside would be barry melrose being on every broadcast

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So if Vancouver misses the playoffs we don't get their pick until next year?
That is correct. Although that might not be a bad option as I don't think it's protected in any way.

I think Winnipeg and Nashville can actually catch Arizona and Vancouver though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That is correct. Although that might not be a bad option as I don't think it's protected in any way.

I think Winnipeg and Nashville can actually catch Arizona and Vancouver though.
I think I'd much rather just have the pick this year. I'll take the short term gain of it as well as the consideration that Vancouver could be better next year then they are this year.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
The Pacific is so close. What do we want to happen? I'd like Arizona to miss out and Vancouver get in bc that'll give us three 1sts this year. I'm assuming everyone feels the same.

Ideally Arizona would drop 4 more spots so the Devils get two top 10 picks. Another first round pick would be nice to have with Vancouver, but I'd also like to see them miss out this year and completely suck next season; enough to get the Devils the third Hughes brother.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ideally Arizona would drop 4 more spots so the Devils get two top 10 picks. Another first round pick would be nice to have with Vancouver, but I'd also like to see them miss out this year and completely suck next season; enough to get the Devils the third Hughes brother.
Hall being on AZ worries me that they'll win the lottery lol.

Reactions: Patrik26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad