Around The League 2019-20 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The entire idea of millionaires playing for a million dollars is bleh beyond belief. honestly the last time this event was interesting as an adult was when john scott was in it. i really think the game would benefit from something like that every year

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I gotta wonder if Poile is on the hot seat if the Hynes hire doesn't work and turn their season around? Not that I think he'll be fired from there, but they ''Fire'' him via promotion like we did to Lou, where they allow him to ''Resign'' or like Detroit did with Ken Holland when they brought Yzerman in.

But just like Lou and Ken, Poile is a guy that will 100% be wanted by someone to be their GM still, if Nashville doesn't want him to be their GM anymore. Although, he's been a GM for 38 years nonstop in the league (except for the one year he was Nashville's GM but they hadn't begun play yet) with no real lapse in employment as a GM and his teams have no cups and he's only been to the finals once and the conference finals twice.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Reactions: artemponomarev

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
While I appreciate the free rankings, I always take these lists with a grain of salt since they tend to have a ton of WJC recency bias. Here's a short history of Button rankings from recent years.

2016: https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.436669 - Riley Barber at #32 seemed a little out of left field.

2017: https://www.tsn.ca/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389 - Danny O'Regan at #28 seemed a little weird even in the moment. Tyler Parsons clocked in at #12 fresh off a gold medal; My amateur scouting thought in the moment was that I wasn't entirely sure Parsons had better pro potential than say Eric Comrie despite the sterling junior career.

2018: https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

2019: https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So... curious:
All of those players except for 3 were drafted by teams during Shero's time as GM. Almost all of them are 18-21.

Lou's fault?

Are you suggesting that is a flaw for Shero? If so, consider that NJ has Nico Hughes Boquist and Bratt all actually playing and having varying levels of success in the NHL. Most of these great prospects likely won’t pan out if past examples are any indication. Maybe no Ty Smith on the list is a criticism but I’m not sure a prospect list is a great way to debate Lou versus Shero on drafting.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So... curious:
All of those players except for 3 were drafted by teams during Shero's time as GM. Almost all of them are 18-21.

Lou's fault?

The Devils drafted #1 overall in 2019. Their next pick was at #60. I feel like I counted 20 players on that list who were drafted in between 2 and 60 at last year's draft. So yeah, maybe do one ounce of thinking about why the Devils might not be well-represented on a list like this.

Smith and Thompson would likely appear on a top 75. Boqvist would likely appear had he stayed in Sweden.

Reactions: Blender

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Are you suggesting that is a flaw for Shero? If so, consider that NJ has Nico Hughes Boquist and Bratt all actually playing and having varying levels of success in the NHL. Most of these great prospects likely won’t pan out if past examples are any indication. Maybe no Ty Smith on the list is a criticism but I’m not sure a prospect list is a great way to debate Lou versus Shero on drafting.

Naw - I was just starting shit as ZBC points out - should have used a sarcasm smiley.

I think it is telling the list is rife with Canadian team bias - Ott, Leafs, Vancouver etc. It is disappointing Ty Smith isn't on there - and that if he didn't make it, certainly none of our other prospects would have.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The Devils drafted #1 overall in 2019. Their next pick was at #60. I feel like I counted 20 players on that list who were drafted in between 2 and 60 at last year's draft. So yeah, maybe do one ounce of thinking about why the Devils might not be well-represented on a list like this.

Smith and Thompson would likely appear on a top 75. Boqvist would likely appear had he stayed in Sweden.

As I was saying - I was just starting shit... but your 1-60 draft pick thing is pretty weak considering Shero dealt our picks to trade down and get Subban. On paper, that's still beautiful so there's nothing to criticize there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad