Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
NHL TV ratings continue to be dog shit in Canada

upload_2020-9-9_22-10-58-png.366741

Below an animated Star Trek series on a specialty channel (and I like Star Trek) is yikes. Sportsnet can't be happy with those numbers.

It's 3 sunbelt teams and the less popular New York team playing in a bubble with no fans and no real superstars left (Kucherov I guess), and also the fact that it's late summer, so this should be no surprise.
I usually watch most of the playoffs and the last bit of the Islanders-Tampa game is the first I've watched of these Conference Finals. It's just not that interesting anymore.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Welp, inc Vegas-Tampa final. Not sure if I’ll bother watching. Didn’t watch much of tonight’s game with a much more exciting Raptors game (and I’m not much of an NBA fan at all) and US Open.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I waltzed into the GDT on the playoff board and saw someone say McDavid doesn't make his linemates better.

Reactions: Beerfish

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Un-believeable.

Sometimes I think it’s best for my mental health that the Oilers only lasted 4 playoff games.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Welp, inc Vegas-Tampa final. Not sure if I’ll bother watching. Didn’t watch much of tonight’s game with a much more exciting Raptors game (and I’m not much of an NBA fan at all) and US Open.

Same, I hate Toronto, don't really care about NBA but that was pretty intense. Kept an eye on the Tampa, NYI score but just watched the last bit. Don't really care who wins.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Un-believeable.

Sometimes I think it’s best for my mental health that the Oilers only lasted 4 playoff games.

I had an LCBO employee tell me the Oilers were probably rebuilding because I'm the only person for 5000 square miles wearing an Oilers hat lol, guy's probably a Leaf's fan.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Kind of look forward to the game starting and then it's boring as stink. What's less climactic than OT?. Winning the game with 7 seconds left.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's 3 sunbelt teams and the less popular New York team playing in a bubble with no fans and no real superstars left (Kucherov I guess), and also the fact that it's late summer, so this should be no surprise.
I usually watch most of the playoffs and the last bit of the Islanders-Tampa game is the first I've watched of these Conference Finals. It's just not that interesting anymore.

I haven't watched one EC conference game all post season. The only teams I've watched are Dallas and Vegas. Even passing on that sometimes. I find it very hard to watch any full game. usually just channel surfing if I am even watching. But I'm watching no sports. Haven't watched 1 minute of the Raptors.

Been an eventful summer as far as getting things done. More active, more renos, more gardening, more home improvement. Life without sports is actually pretty damn good. Suddenly I have all this free time.

The day outside was gorgeous all day. Morning to night. Theres just no way, here in Edmonton I'm going to be missing these days and sitting inside watching sports or anything. Pretty predictably a summer playoffs was a pretty spectacularly dumb idea. Virtually nobody is watching on TV, and thats the only place you can watch. Why are they even doing this?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for the kind words. It's only fate the Lightning lift the Cup in Edmonton if that is in fact what happens here. 6 to go

I didn't even bet against the Lightning this post season. Thats about as much affection as I'll post up on Tampa Bay.

Should've brought your pregame projections along. Tampa and Vegas pregame shows seem to be immeasurably better than anything we've seen here. We have the jumbo projection screen, hardly use it. Go to a game here and its like 90's production values still.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for the kind words. It's only fate the Lightning lift the Cup in Edmonton if that is in fact what happens here. 6 to go

I wouldn’t mind that, it would definitely feel fated like 2004 coming full circular in a way. I just hope to see a more competitive and exciting (for an outsider) series for the finals

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I haven't watched one EC conference game all post season. The only teams I've watched are Dallas and Vegas. Even passing on that sometimes. I find it very hard to watch any full game. usually just channel surfing if I am even watching. But I'm watching no sports. Haven't watched 1 minute of the Raptors.

Been an eventful summer as far as getting things done. More active, more renos, more gardening, more home improvement. Life without sports is actually pretty damn good. Suddenly I have all this free time.

The day outside was gorgeous all day. Morning to night. Theres just no way, here in Edmonton I'm going to be missing these days and sitting inside watching sports or anything. Pretty predictably a summer playoffs was a pretty spectacularly dumb idea. Virtually nobody is watching on TV, and thats the only place you can watch. Why are they even doing this?

You're missing out. The Raptors game today was probably better than any game of hockey I've seen since the restart.

The NBA playoffs in general have been really fun to watch IMO.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
You're missing out. The Raptors game today was probably better than any game of hockey I've seen since the restart.

100% agreed, with the Flames fail a close 2nd (though that’s more subjective). No Toronto fan (was always a Grizzlies kid) but that had my heart pounding

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
NHL TV ratings continue to be dog shit in Canada

upload_2020-9-9_22-10-58-png.366741

Below an animated Star Trek series on a specialty channel (and I like Star Trek) is yikes. Sportsnet can't be happy with those numbers.

Wonder if the league’s contract for these playoffs is based on viewership numbers or is a fixed amount, and SN is the one to suffer and deal with the advertisers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah I generally can't stand NBA basketball. Not a big basketball fan of any kind. Not my sport. Note I'm stating this in this thread, and not the NBA thread.

I'm not missing out at all if I don't enjoy watching Basketball.

I enjoyed going for a walk in the sunset on a beautiful evening. Spent all day doing stuff outside. Spent zero watching sports inside. Win.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

This is what happens when it's best-on-best because there are no upsets due to randomness or luck in the first round. ;)

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
btw, if an Oiler defenseman made that play that Andy Greene (and the rest of the team) just made to lose that game, could you imagine the rage on here?

Weak rim to turn the puck over. Just eat it on the boards dude, there was like 10 seconds left.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yeah I generally can't stand NBA basketball. Not a big basketball fan of any kind. Not my sport. Note I'm stating this in this thread, and not the NBA thread.

I'm not missing out at all if I don't enjoy watching Basketball.

I enjoyed going for a walk in the sunset on a beautiful evening. Spent all day doing stuff outside. Spent zero watching sports inside. Win.
My dad isn't a basketball fan either and he thoroughly enjoyed it. To each their own.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My dad isn't a basketball fan either and he thoroughly enjoyed it. To each their own.

I can't understand watching a sport where typically only the last minute of play matters. I mean not tonight I guess as the game went into OT and I suppose there was some drama to it. But I'd rather paint walls then spend 2-3hrs watching a whole basketball game. To me watching basketball is watching the last minute or two. Which in the NBA takes 15mins to play so I turn it off. I have kind of an Aussie attitude towards NBA basketball. They can't understand how anybody can follow a sport where any contact at all and the game stops. Or how anybody can watch a game where theres 100 stoppages in play in the last few minutes. To me its worse than commercials.

I just change the channel. Always. I need something to be happening when I watch any sport. Not guys going back to the bench and the coach hollering something every 10 secs. How many times outs and stoppages can there be in a sport? If hockey featured 5 secs of action and stops and restarts constantly I wouldn't watch it either. no flow to the NBA.

That said, years ago I would watch the Golden Bears games. its a bit better to watch in person, and possible to get into it. But theres not as many stoppages, and theres more flow to college games. I also prefer being able to see the full court. kind of see the breakouts better and whats going on. its harder for me to get into on Telly. Definitely.

ps you live in Toronto. I live in Edmonton. Basketball has virtually nill following here. Any Basketball team that tries to start up here gets the worst crowds. Its not really a sport that has ever been big here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad