GDT: Around the League 2019-20 v25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You had a rookie Bear and Yamamoto for 1/2 the season and yes, sure look at the results.

The team immediately becomes a playoff team once again. At the 71 game mark they were 4th in the Western Conference.

A crapshoot pre-season tournament played after 4 1/2 months off doesn't change that.

They very much did exceed expectations last year.

There is still a process a young team has to go through even if they have talent on top of that, that's why wasting time not even having a proper roster is dangerous because you have to then factor in time for that group to grow which is another extra few years in most cases.

They did exceed expectations in the regular season, I'd agree with that, but when the real games rolled around the team folded like a cheap tent. Sure, you can blame the break and the special circumstances if you want but it's not like we played one of the better teams in the play-ins. We played the Hawks and didn't even look convincingly good/better at any point in that series to my recollection. And I don't think that was a freak thing either, I think it's a mental thing with this team. They don't understand what it takes to win, or are simply unwilling to do what it takes. Maybe it's the youthful arrogance you were alluding to earlier, I don't know. Either way, as a fan it's really disappointing and I'm sick and tired of following a team that never does anything, even with the two best players in the league on the roster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They did exceed expectations in the regular season, I'd agree with that, but when the real games rolled around the team folded like a cheap tent. Sure, you can blame the break and the special circumstances if you want but it's not like we played one of the better teams in the play-ins. We played the Hawks and didn't even look convincingly good/better at any point in that series to my recollection.

A game being cancelled for a snow storm and having to be played 3 days later is a special circumstance.

The Boston Garden losing electricity and the Finals having to move back to Edmonton to conclude is a special circumstance.

A season being paused for 4 AND A HALF MONTHS is not a special circumstance, lol.

At that point it's basically a pre-season tournament, especially with a best of 5 gimmick to allow teams that shouldn't have been in, now you have a bunch of teams that are effectively playing with house money.

In the same circumstance in say 2017 or 2018, who knows maybe the Oilers win a round even though they didn't earn their way in either, because really you're playing with nothing to lose whatsoever. Win game 1 of a best of 5 (which is much easier when the other team is extremely rusty) and your chances of winning a best of 5 skyrocket to 70% from in March having a 5% chance at playoffs.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A game being cancelled for a snow storm and having to be played 3 days later is a special circumstance.

The Boston Garden losing electricity and the Finals having to move back to Edmonton to conclude is a special circumstance.

A season being paused for 4 AND A HALF MONTHS is not a special circumstance, lol.

At that point it's basically a pre-season tournament, especially with a best of 5 gimmick to allow teams that shouldn't have been in, now you have a bunch of teams that are effectively playing with house money.

So we should just let them off the hook like that and hope it will be different next time around then? This team doesn't have what it takes mentally to win when it matters. They're unwilling to do the dirty work. It's very, very evident what brand of hockey is successful in the NHL and it's not whatever the Oilers are doing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So we should just let them off the hook like that and hope it will be different next time around then? This team doesn't have what it takes mentally to win when it matters. They're unwilling to do the dirty work. It's very, very evident what brand of hockey is successful in the NHL and it's not whatever the Oilers are doing.

This gets said of every team. Washington doesn't have what it takes to win. After the Penguins went a long period after their first Cup, they didn't have what it takes to win.

Tampa after last year's first round? You guessed it? Clearly doesn't have what it takes to win.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This gets said of every team. Washington doesn't have what it takes to win. After the Penguins went a long period after their first Cup, they didn't have what it takes to win.

Tampa after last year's first round? You guessed it? Clearly doesn't have what it takes to win.

Again it has to do with buy-in and coaching. Caps and Pens had everything they needed to be successful but not the right coach.

Tampa last year is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Who did they get beat by? Yep, Columbus, a team that is much worse on paper than Tampa, but they play hard and hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
TSN declares Vancouver as Canada's best hope to end the Cup drought. Five weeks ago it was Winnipeg.

Was going to post about that couldn't stop laughing enough to type it out at the time. Every year they throw their hat in with whatever Canadian team made it furthest in the playoffs (or in the Flames' case, had a top 5 season finish and proceeded to flame out - lel - in the 1st round). Usually it leads to exaggerated expectations and disappointment. Maybe sometime they'll tone it the f*** down so it's not so embarrassing but I'm not holding my breath

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Again it has to do with buy-in and coaching. Caps and Pens had everything they needed to be successful but not the right coach.

Tampa last year is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Who did they get beat by? Yep, Columbus, a team that is much worse on paper than Tampa, but they play hard and hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

The Caps weren't even great defensively under Trotz, so that doesn't really make sense. The Penguins also won one of their 2 recent Cups being mediocre defensively.

Here's a pro-tip a hockey fan should maybe learn: humility. Never go into a playoff round thinking you will win just because of seedings.

Any team can beat any other team especially in a best of 5. You win the first game and you are in business. It's a parity driven league.

"On paper" doesn't mean shit.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They did exceed expectations in the regular season, I'd agree with that, but when the real games rolled around the team folded like a cheap tent. Sure, you can blame the break and the special circumstances if you want but it's not like we played one of the better teams in the play-ins. We played the Hawks and didn't even look convincingly good/better at any point in that series to my recollection. And I don't think that was a freak thing either, I think it's a mental thing with this team. They don't understand what it takes to win, or are simply unwilling to do what it takes. Maybe it's the youthful arrogance you were alluding to earlier, I don't know. Either way, as a fan it's really disappointing and I'm sick and tired of following a team that never does anything, even with the two best players in the league on the roster.
The hawks got the bounces and we didn’t.

we outplayed them by quite a large margin.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Islanders really screwed the pooch by coming up with nothing on that major. They needed to score at least one or two during it. Tampa probably takes this now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a sweep, Islanders lost any offensive ability at the absolute wrong time.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Geoff Ward with one vote for best petering out.

Shouldn't that be for worst GM of the year? :sarcasm:

Edmonton-Oilers-General-Manager-Peter-Chiarelli-at-press-conference.jpg

Reactions: BlackDogg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NHL TV ratings continue to be dog shit in Canada

upload_2020-9-9_22-10-58-png.366741

Below an animated Star Trek series on a specialty channel (and I like Star Trek) is yikes. Sportsnet can't be happy with those numbers.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Shoot! Islanders bumfuggling a lot of opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad