Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I thought they were trash when they first came out and don't seem to remember them being so loved back then. Much preferred the Winnipeg jerseys. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Of course, the current Yotes jerseys are boring so I get it. I'd rather see these full-time over their current ones but I'm not going to pretend it is a great jersey.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
It might be heresy, but as a Kings fan I would love to have a Kachina jersey. It's pretty rad that they've committed to wearing them throughout however many games they last in the 24 team return.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought they were trash when they first came out and don't seem to remember them being so loved back then. Much preferred the Winnipeg jerseys. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Of course, the current Yotes jerseys are boring so I get it. I'd rather see these full-time over their current ones but I'm not going to pretend it is a great jersey.

It's probably just this but I just love unique jerseys and the NHL has trended away from some of the kitschy stuff into boring reds/maroons/blacks finishing off with the Kings monochrome.

I hate the modern 'must be clean' stuff, gimme back some uniqueness, even at the cost of some modernist designer's critique. Gimme back that gaudy silver sparkle on purple, even.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's probably just this but I just love unique jerseys and the NHL has trended away from some of the kitschy stuff into boring reds/maroons/blacks finishing off with the Kings monochrome.

I hate the modern 'must be clean' stuff, gimme back some uniqueness, even at the cost of some modernist designer's critique. Gimme back that gaudy silver sparkle on purple, even.
You can't go wrong with:
Screen-shot-2014-03-14-at-16.03.16-.png

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

The problem with "unique" back in the mid-to-late 90s was that it was generally bad haha. That goes for all sports.

Like you said though, NHL jerseys have generally been bland for awhile now except for Stadium Series ones that are usually air balls. So, sure, bring back the original Yotes jersey and now it looks cool. That being said, I think they get roasted for it if it wasn't a throwback and was actually a new design.

Hell, I'm sure we used to all make fun of the Ducks original jerseys but those are far superior to what they switched to. In 2007 or whatever, we were probably saying the new jerseys suck but at least they aren't "Mighty" anymore and they have Wild Wing off of it. Now I'm like, those sweaters are way better.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

His first act should be to bring these back full-time.
1208263463.jpg.jpg

oct-2000-keith-tkachuk-of-the-phoenix-coyotes-and-jere-karalahti-of-picture-id720307

I had no idea Alex Meruelo bought majority ownership.

Weird, off topic stuff... I taught his son in one of my classes, Alex Jr., who is now the strategic advisor for hockey ops. I also know Pat Murphy, the President of Business ops and Tia Meza, VP of corporate partnerships, as he's been hijacking our best administrators over the last year. I've been trying to figure out the connection and had no idea until I saw this post!

I can send them an email if you like.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I actually think some of the uniforms from the late '60s and early '70s would be decent for today. These are some of my favorites from the old WHL teams I watched growing up. For example I think these Seattle Totems' uniforms from that era are clean and unique. I know people have different tastes in uniforms. Mine tends to lean toward a representative logo and a unique color scheme that allows me to identify the team the moment I see the uniform.

Totems%20uniform%201966-1975.jpg

These late '60s / early '70s Denver Spurs uniforms were also quite good IMO.

Ralph_Backstrom__14_Denver_Spurs_Retro_Hockey_Jersey_Red_-_1.jpeg

Already mentioned the Seattle Totems uniforms. I really liked the Phoenix Roadrunners blue uniforms as well. That's Murray Keogan wearing #11 for the Roadrunners.

s-l400.jpg

Not too much imagination went into the San Diego Gulls uniforms. Of course, that's Willie O'Ree who has just scored for the Gulls against the Portland Buckaroos. He is mostly blocked out in this photo by the Gulls #7, but behind him is #26 Connie Madigan (Ross "Mad Dog" Madison from Slap Shot; he was the player flipping the bird to the crowd as he came on the ice)

WILLIE%2BOREE.jpg

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Just, not this.

pooperalls.jpg

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm still shaking my head at how the 2 black hole teams [Minn, ARI ] found a way into the playoffs, Neither of those teams would've been in had the season played out.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I'm still shaking my head at how the 2 black hole teams [Minn, ARI ] found a way into the playoffs, Neither of those teams would've been in had the season played out.

It's probably fair to say that the play-in round isn't really the "playoffs" in a standard sense. There will still end up being 16 teams playing 4 rounds of 7-game series after the play-in round. Of course, teams like Pittsburgh might get screwed a bit (assuming they don't lose and then luck their way into the Lafreniere or Byfield), but it seems like a decent way to mimic what would have been the last few weeks of the regular season.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It's probably fair to say that the play-in round isn't really the "playoffs" in a standard sense. There will still end up being 16 teams playing 4 rounds of 7-game series after the play-in round. .

Teams play each other after the regular season ends, to advance in a bracket to play more teams.

How are those NOT called playoff games?

Everyone: stop saying "play in." :banghead:

Reactions: Bandit

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Teams play each other after the regular season ends, to advance in a bracket to play more teams.

How are those NOT called playoff games?

Everyone: stop saying "play in." :banghead:
I’m sorry you don’t like it, but that’s what it is: a play-in set of games to advance to a 16-team playoff. It’s a substitute to finishing the regular season that was suspended because of a once-in-a-century pandemic. It doesn’t make any sense for teams like the Kings to play out meaningless regular season games under these highly unique circumstances, so we get a substitute for it. Much like other seasons, only the teams that do not advance to the 16-team playoff will be eligible for the draft lottery.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I’m sorry you don’t like it, but that’s what it is: a play-in set of games to advance to a 16-team playoff. It’s a substitute to finishing the regular season that was suspended because of a once-in-a-century pandemic. It doesn’t make any sense for teams like the Kings to play out meaningless regular season games under these highly unique circumstances, so we get a substitute for it. Much like other seasons, only the teams that do not advance to the 16-team playoff will be eligible for the draft lottery.

all that above ^^^, yet it still feels like old fashioned playoff games / series.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The play-in is the NHL's way of making up for team's who thought they had a legit shot at making the playoffs with whatever amount of games they had remaining in the regular season schedule. Hence, play-in games.

They don't count towards playoff stats nor do they count as regular season stats. So what do you want to call it? Qualifiers?

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The play-in is the NHL's way of making up for team's who thought they had a legit shot at making the playoffs with whatever amount of games they had remaining in the regular season schedule. Hence, play-in games.

They don't count towards playoff stats nor do they count as regular season stats. So what do you want to call it? Qualifiers?

Bullshit? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad