Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
But we already play this game. We choose to drive, even though it kills thousands of Californians every year. We believe, as a group, that the overall good that driving brings is worth all those human lives.
We also choose to eat like pigs and not exercise even though millions of people die from obesity every year.
To me this is what boils down to if you want to open up everything:

80% will have mild to no symptoms

20% will have Pneumonia and body aches

4% will need hospitalization and intubation

1% will die.

These are the core numbers from what we know so far.

If I get exposed, I have a 1 in 5 chance of getting (at least) pneumonia and body aches. No thank you. Moreover, I have a wife who is high risk and mother who is over 70. So, no thank you very much in getting exposed.

I don't know how you can calculate obesity odds but car crashes is 1/300. To me, I'd rather not add this gamble to my life and the life of my loved ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAKings88

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

1% will die.

If I get exposed, I have a 1 in 5 chance of getting (at least) pneumonia and body aches. No thank you. Moreover, I have a wife who is high risk and mother who is over 70. So, no thank you very much in getting exposed.

I don't know how you can calculate obesity odds but car crashes is 1/300. To me, I'd rather not add this gamble to my life and the life of my loved ones.
That math doesn't add up.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
lol Training camp not even set until July. That means the soonest we could see these games is mid-July, early August? Jesus. We'll have a Cup winner in September.
f*** it man, works to our benefit

kids are gonna have a good summer training and getting healthy and everyone else is gonna be slogging through next season

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
f*** it man, works to our benefit

kids are gonna have a good summer training and getting healthy and everyone else is gonna be slogging through next season

Gabe Vilardi showing up at camp like

GuileIRLCROPPED_400x400.jpg

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
If I was a player, I wouldn't go anywhere near a person at high risk. The "money is worth more than human life" narrative is a crock. The players are not in danger of losing their lives, and if they are going to play then they have to be committed to frequent testing and not having any contact with high risk individuals. Sort of like all of us should be doing now since over 50% of the deaths are in nursing homes and probably 80% to 90% of the deaths are among those over 70 years of age, or people with several health issues.

Also, you didn't respond to the basic question. If not now, when and under what conditions?

Shocking before-and-after photo shows what the coronavirus did to an otherwise healthy man in just 6 weeks

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So, is this outlier of a case supposed to be the determining factor in what is done going forward? Do the anecdotal cases President Trump touts for use of hydroxychloroquine count as evidence for the effectiveness of the drug? I bet they don't in your book.

Anecdotes are just that, stories which may or may not be part of a pattern with some cause and effect. Are you in favor of shutting down all professional sports, not allowing people to return to work in order to pay their bills and stave off bankruptcy, until there is a vaccine which is proven to be safe and effective?

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
So, is this outlier of a case supposed to be the determining factor in what is done going forward? Do the anecdotal cases President Trump touts for use of hydroxychloroquine count as evidence for the effectiveness of the drug? I bet they don't in your book.

Anecdotes are just that, stories which may or may not be part of a pattern with some cause and effect. Are you in favor of shutting down all professional sports, not allowing people to return to work in order to pay their bills and stave off bankruptcy, until there is a vaccine which is proven to be safe and effective?

please relax. I don’t need to answer to you. You said that the chances of a player being negatively affected was slim to none, so I posted this story to show that what you said was not a fact.

Also, one thing that we are learning from this virus is that it does very well in cold settings, which is one of the reasons why meat packing plants are places with high levels of break outs in the country. Another thing that we have learned about this virus is that it transfers through the air and in situations like choir practice at churches, many of the participants wind up contracting the virus. So, personally, I would not participate in game at this time, if I were one of the players.

I can’t tell anyone else what to do, so the players and personnel will do what they feel is best for them. But I think that the Hockey environment is a perfect breeding ground for this virus. And we will quickly see if that comes to pass when they start the season up again.

Reactions: LAKings88 and jfont

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
please relax. I don’t need to answer to you. You said that the chances of a player being negatively affected was slim to none, so I posted this story to show that what you said was not a fact.

Also, one thing that we are learning from this virus is that it does very well in cold settings, which is one of the reasons why meat packing plants are places with high levels of break outs in the country. Another thing that we have learned about this virus is that it transfers through the air and in situations like choir practice at churches, many of the participants wind up contracting the virus. So, personally, I would not participate in game at this time, if I were one of the players.

I can’t tell anyone else what to do, so the players and personnel will do what they feel is best for them. But I think that the Hockey environment is a perfect breeding ground for this virus. And we will quickly see if that comes to pass when they start the season up again.
I will respond to you, because according the the "science and data" it is a fact. The chances are slim a player will contract the virus and become severely ill. The players are going to vote on whether or not to resume play. If I was a player, my "no" vote might be based more on the isolation and restrictions having to be endured for an extended period of time, not the possibility of becoming severely ill.

Reactions: crassbonanza

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
I will respond to you, because according the the "science and data" it is a fact. The chances are slim a player will contract the virus and become severely ill. The players are going to vote on whether or not to resume play. If I was a player, my "no" vote might be based more on the isolation and restrictions having to be endured for an extended period of time, not the possibility of becoming severely ill.

And you are entitled to make your decisions based on that criteria. One of my biggest contentions with the way that this virus is being reported on, is that both sides have dug their heels in the sand and no one in the media is moving with the virus as we learn more and more about it.

One thing that is NOT being talked about is how well those who get the virus recover from it, in the long run.

Lingering and painful: the long and unclear road to coronavirus recovery

"In a survey of group members, 89% of the 465 respondents said they had symptoms that fluctuated in intensity and frequency."

"Lauren Nichols, 32, from Boston, Massachusetts, is another member of the Slack group. She has tested positive for Covid-19 twice and still has symptoms more than 50 days after first feeling unwell. She said the experience was a rollercoaster of symptoms and severities.

“My biggest concern is that there is little visibility into the reality of what recovery truly looks like, as recovery from a medical perspective simply means that the patient ‘did not die’ and simply does not capture the lingering and painful symptoms that the Covid-19 recovery road truly entails for some or many,” Nichols said, adding that some of her most alarming symptoms occurred in her third and fifth weeks of being unwell.
“I am concerned that employers and governments are rushing the recoveries of thousands who are still in pain and still symptomatic, without understanding that this causes both mental and physical complications for people already in a very vulnerable and unwell state of being,” she said, adding that she was also concerned about the lack of support for those recovering."

Reactions: LAKings88

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso

1% will die.

And that's just fine. You can make that choice. People can make different decisions based on same facts. Some people think 1% is too high and some think even 0.1% is too high.

The problem we have now is that we don't get to make this decision. The government is making these decisions for us.

As for resuming the season, the players and the owners collective have made the decision to possibly resume the season and I'm all for it. As long as they can make proper accommodations for those who may not want to take that risk and those who can be categorized as high risk.

Reactions: KINGS17

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Alright I think its time to move some of these posts to the Covid thread. Leave talks about the NHL plans for returning to play in here.

Reactions: Faterson

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kinda embarassing that with a 24-team tournament, we still don't qualify.

Given last years finish, I’m not sure the Kings have to feel embarrassed about missing out on a bastardized playoff tournament. I’m in the camp that whoever wins gets the biggest asterisk of all time next to their cup title. If any team should feel embarrassed, it’s Buffalo or maybe N.J.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah, as far as that goes, they ended the season at exactly the worst time for the Kings.
I dunno, I think if it had gone on a little longer and they had somehow managed to win their way into this 24 team farce, that would be the worst thing that could have happened this season. This year's Kings team was not gonna repeat the magic of 2012's "just get in".

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yeah, as far as that goes, they ended the season at exactly the worst time for the Kings.

I get what you are saying, but I'm cool with them ensuring that they don't fall past pick seven.

Now, if they worked their way to 8th worst and were able to get these young guys in a pseudo-playoff series, I wouldn't mind that for development purposes as long as they lost. I think that as long as one of the play-in teams doesn't win the lottery, then the 8th worst team stays at 8. Knowing the Kings though, they'd somehow win that play-in and then get smoked in the actual playoffs and wind up picking in the teens.

I'm happy with how the season went since they seemed to start playing better as the season went on which is important with a new coach. Young guys that won't be stars but possibly important depth contributors stepped up which was great to see. It was also great to see all of the futures that were collected. Hopefully they have better luck in the lottery this year and we can start seeing some ownership of this team being taken by non-legacy guys. I'd like to see these guys flirt with the possibility of making the playoffs up to around the early-March portion of a normal season next year. That would be good progression in the rebuild. 2022 season is playoffs or bust, however. Blake's drafts/acquired prospects will need to be prominently featured at this point along with any necessary trades and/or signings for legit NHL players. If they don't make the playoffs in the third year of T-Mac, we've got a problem on our hands.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, I'm glad with where they finished. I'm just saying from the standpoint of 'missing' the 24 team playoffs, they were well on their way to blackholing.

Reactions: BigKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->