Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Speaking of Connie Madigan:

35955008_10217083179654743_5688203164394717184_n.jpg

Portland went on to win the series against San Diego. When the WHL Finals shifted to Phoenix a creative artist put up a huge banner with a drawing of a ref out cold on the ice. The caption read "Hey Connie, don't get Mad-i-gan!" So much fun being a Roadrunner fan as a kid. Connie was the kind of guy @BigKing would love.

Portland won the WHL's Patrick Cup over the Roadrunners in 5 games.

If you read the article you have to read it in two halves (top and bottom, first four columns in top half, then last three columns in bottom half).

Connie Madigan set record for being oldest rookie ever in the NHL at the age of 38.

The 38-year old Rookie: How injuries opened the NHL door for a veteran journeyman - TheHockeyNews

Madigan was a standout defenseman in the old Western League – most notably with the Portland Buckaroos – when it was a professional circuit on par with the AHL. Early on, he established himself as someone not to be messed with, earning the nickname ‘Mad Dog.’ The moniker came during a game in San Diego when the public-address announcer, seated between the penalty boxes, proclaimed, “Two minutes for delay of game to ‘Mad Dog’ Madigan.” An irate Madigan swung his stick and cut the microphone wires, and the nickname stuck. “There were some wild characters that came out of that Western League, and he was one of them,” said Gary Sabourin, who played with Madigan on the Blues during the ’72-73 season and roomed with him at training camp the following fall. “Connie was his own man, just a strange dude.”

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ran across this picture of an old Vancouver uniform from their WHL days. I think Vancouver needs some new throwbacks, or better yet new full-time uniforms.

99140944_2982982785114375_1460957370824785920_n.jpg

Found the old WHL Portland Buckaroos uniforms as well. Yes, Portland's Doug Messier is the father of Mark Messier.

83737257_2731566226922700_1745081010917212160_o.jpg

LOL, this is what they should be wearing in San Jose. These were before my time.

92219641_10216299702665082_2157467660256804864_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
What could possibly go wrong with all the extra tourists flocking from all over to hang out and gamble in the same area. Add 500 NHLer into the mix and well...
Considering the pictures/videos I’ve seen that show almost no one wearing masks or socially distancing in Vegas, this could be another hot spot soon. NHL would be best to choose smaller communities to hold these playoffs. I know those locales might not have the hotel capacity, but there’s gotta be a better place than LV.
Btw, I think the NBA is crazy going to Orlando too. Florida’s COVID counts are spiking and the Gov. keeps pushing to open the state up. Another bad combination.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What could possibly go wrong with all the extra tourists flocking from all over to hang out and gamble in the same area. Add 500 NHLer into the mix and well...
It is going to be the responsibility of the NHL, teams, and the players to keep themselves isolated from the general public. The players are the ones "at risk", so they should be responsible and not go out, and maintain their "bubble".

The "bubble" was the idea right from the start. If the players can't abide by the guidelines laid down for them, maybe they shouldn't play and forego the revenue generated by the playoff games.

If you start seeing pictures of fans with players popping up on instagram or facebook in the next couple of months, then you know the players are not following the guidelines for resuming play.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Minor league hockey teams use to play with "chicken wire" instead of glass. The players received plenty of nicks and cuts, but I only saw this happen once courtesy of a hip check from Phoenix Roadrunner Harry Shaw. Shaw is #18 in the Roadrunner white uniform and felt bad for his victim. When play stopped he went back to lend a helping hand.

60103118_10213654419464410_599641554088361984_o.jpg
60069234_10213654419904421_2638621894261080064_o.jpg

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Minor league hockey teams use to play with "chicken wire" instead of glass. The players received plenty of nicks and cuts, but I only saw this happen once courtesy of a hip check from Phoenix Roadrunner Harry Shaw. Shaw is #18 in the Roadrunner white uniform and felt bad for his victim. When play stopped he went back to lend a helping hand.

60103118_10213654419464410_599641554088361984_o.jpg
60069234_10213654419904421_2638621894261080064_o.jpg
Hell, Pasadena still had chain link fence when I played midget. More dangerous was the carpet on top of the dasher boards. I have a permanent scar on my right arm from some high speed rug burn from that shit.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It is going to be the responsibility of the NHL, teams, and the players to keep themselves isolated from the general public. The players are the ones "at risk", so they should be responsible and not go out, and maintain their "bubble".

The "bubble" was the idea right from the start. If the players can't abide by the guidelines laid down for them, maybe they shouldn't play and forego the revenue generated by the playoff games.

If you start seeing pictures of fans with players popping up on instagram or facebook in the next couple of months, then you know the players are not following the guidelines for resuming play.

My main issue with Vegas is not only the temptation of gambling , but the exposure to other , non hockey people sharing the same elevator, lobbys and restuarants. By August , you'll have 10,000 tourist circulating Vegas, exposing all the players and support staff, who have not been tested.

Imagine you've isolated for weeks , play a round and get knocked , only to be exposed to the virus by a non-tested tourist from Arizona, who couldn't wait to spend their social security check on blackjack.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My main issue with Vegas is not only the temptation of gambling , but the exposure to other , non hockey people sharing the same elevator, lobbys and restuarants. By August , you'll have 10,000 tourist circulating Vegas, exposing all the players and support staff, who have not been tested.

Imagine you've isolated for weeks , play a round and get knocked , only to be exposed to the virus by a non-tested tourist from Arizona, who couldn't wait to spend their social security check on blackjack.
Again, the players aren't supposed to be gambling, they aren't supposed to be sharing elevators, or be hanging around lobbies or restaurants. At least that was the idea going into this thing. Now if this isn't going to be the case, then I guess they have decided the virus isn't a big threat to their lives.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Again, the players aren't supposed to be gambling, they aren't supposed to be sharing elevators, or be hanging around lobbies or restaurants. At least that was the idea going into this thing. Now if this isn't going to be the case, then I guess they have decided the virus isn't a big threat to their lives.

Which would be inheredly stupid on the NHL's part. Money over health, right? So are they going to rent out the entire hotels, to prevent tourist on the same floors from coming in contact? Because that seems to be the only way to try and prevent any contact with possibly infected people.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Which would be inheredly stupid on the NHL's part. Money over health, right? So are they going to rent out the entire hotels, to prevent tourist on the same floors from coming in contact? Because that seems to be the only way to try and prevent any contact with possibly infected people.
It wouldn’t shock me for the NHL to rent out entire floors and lock out dedicated elevators only for their use but my faith in a group larger than three people being able to keep their shit together In a situation like this is practically non existent.

I guess we’re gonna find out.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It has already been reported that the MGM has not allowed any guests to occupy Park MGM with the intent being to have the NHL use at as their residential base in Las Vegas. I imagine other hotels are making a pitch as well. Not sure which part of the plan you believe to be inherently stupid.

Again, if the players and staff follow the isolation protocols, there shouldn't be a problem. Money over health? The players are grown men. If they don't want to play, then don't play. It's their choice and there are consequences for either choice they make. Life is full of difficult choices, but this one isn't life or death for the players. Let's not pretend the players don't care about the money, because they absolutely do care about it. The NHLPA has been involved in this decision every step of the way.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Hell, Pasadena still had chain link fence when I played midget. More dangerous was the carpet on top of the dasher boards. I have a permanent scar on my right arm from some high speed rug burn from that shit.

I think it was Norwalk that had the brick wall...? Jesus, my memory isn't what it use to be.

I played 3 seasons with Beach City Lightning and 1 w/ Junior Ducks. I just grow by Side By Side last week and it's a huge 3 story condo/villa megaplex whatever-you-call-it. Crazy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just a few weeks ago the Sabres had reaffirmed that Botterill would be staying as the GM.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think it was Norwalk that had the brick wall...? Jesus, my memory isn't what it use to be.

I played 3 seasons with Beach City Lightning and 1 w/ Junior Ducks. I just grow by Side By Side last week and it's a huge 3 story condo/villa megaplex whatever-you-call-it. Crazy.

iirc Norwalk had a chain link fence. Bay Harbor had that wall of death in one corner where there was no glass, just really tall boards. absolutely no give there.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
iirc Norwalk had a chain link fence. Bay Harbor had that wall of death in one corner where there was no glass, just really tall boards. absolutely no give there.
Yeah this is what I remember. Norwalk was a dungeon with fences and netting, had to get changed in the parking lot. I'm pretty sure it was Ontario that had the brick wall the length of the rink on one side. "Hey guys, no checking against the brick wall". Total shitshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad