Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I hope that this corona virus paranoia ends up being as pointless as Y2k. I do have to go to Costco today and that could end up being brutal
There was nothing pointless about y2k. Nothing much happened because companies spent millions to fix or replace their software.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Reactions: KINGS17

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
ummmm
Are you forgetting the hoarding and the end of the world predictions

even king of the hill made fun of the paranoia

Also I know a whole bunch of companies that took zero precautions and guess what...unaffected

Companies that had new software weren't impacted...duh. Legacy businesses that had old software would have put themselves out of business if they did nothing. Not real hard to understand.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Well didn’t the City of LA just announce that nothing is being cancelled with the LA Marathon weekend?

California has declared a state of emergency for coronavirus but i think this is to get funds.

Coronavirus isn’t something to blow off, in fact data so far shows it’s really dangerous to old men with health issues, but it doesn’t seem like the Black Death that has been passed around. Not to mention that it totally just screwed everyone who has 401k accounts.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Companies that had new software weren't impacted...duh. Legacy businesses that had old software would have put themselves out of business if they did nothing. Not real hard to understand.
the word paranoia was key to my post. Not really hard to understand
the paranoia leading in ending up being beyond excessive is that concept hard to understand for you?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Well didn’t the City of LA just announce that nothing is being cancelled with the LA Marathon weekend?

California has declared a state of emergency for coronavirus but i think this is to get funds.

Coronavirus isn’t something to blow off, in fact data so far shows it’s really dangerous to old men with health issues, but it doesn’t seem like the Black Death that has been passed around. Not to mention that it totally just screwed everyone who has 401k accounts.
state of emergencies are always for funding

So far Coronavirus is only slightly more deadly than the normal flu, except is isn't as deadly to young people it really seems to go after the elderly and people with respiratory issues. Take that smokers.

As long as the virus doesn't mutate we should all be just fine , despite the media paranoia

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
the word paranoia was key to my post. Not really hard to understand
the paranoia leading in ending up being beyond excessive is that concept hard to understand for you?
You said y2k was pointless - it wasn't. If you said russia russia russia was pointless you would have had a point.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Getting a bit OT here.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a little like what's going on inother coutnreis where the games are being played but stadiums are empty.

NHL needs gate money so maybe not but still, doesn't mean games will end

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Big night in the western race with Winnipeg, Arizona, Calgary, and Vancouver all playing. Calgary(24-26), Winnipeg(27-28), and Arizona(26-27) all have negative W/L ratios in regulation. Vancouver(26-26) sits even.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
You might want to brush up on your reading

Read...understand..then react. Don't react first
You're writing is vague there, as you didn't say y2k paranoia -- simply y2k. If your intent was y2k paranoia I totally agree with you.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Watching the Leafs inability to score against some of the worst teams in the league is a great example of why going all in on analytics is a mistake. Analytics can show you what worked in the past in a vacuum, but if you follow that path you will always be left behind.

Toronto's current style under Keefe relies on a total puck possession attack. When they gain possession they circle back to their own end before rushing up ice. They almost never use a dump and chase, instead trying to carry the puck in each possession. The stats do show that carrying the puck in generates more scoring chances and goals than a dump and chase, but that does not mean committing fully to the carry in is a good idea. The main reason is that teams will adapt to your strategy, we are seeing it now with the Kings and Ducks backing into a 1-3-1 and challenging the Leafs at the blue line. They know that they don't have to worry about the dump, so they don't have to hedge back in anticipation and are able to directly challenge the entry. The ability to successfully carry in is significantly easier when the opponent does not know what you are going to do; the dump and chase, and carry in work hand in hand.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Just as they were talking about Matthew's defensive abilities, he goes and does that lol. They are so bad

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I hope that this corona virus paranoia ends up being as pointless as Y2k. I do have to go to Costco today and that could end up being brutal

Except the y2k never killed anyone leading up to it and wasn't spread computer to computer just by logging on. The playoff will be interesting this year, and hopefully there will be more info available to prevent further outbreaks and they will still be on.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I took part in Y2K testing/fixing and personally found date related bugs in some clinical systems. Nothing that would have caused planes to drop out of the sky as some predicted but issues definitely existed. The investment in fixes and relatively few issues was actually testimony to a good job being done. There were various issues in big name software that was all fixed and patched in plenty of time, again from personal experience. Companies knew if they got it wrong and their competitors didn’t then they were out of business.

On the other hand the panic over this virus is infuriating.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
From the main board. These are nice to look at!

Z05zDgM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad