Around the League 2019-20 Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It is gnarly though that we were simply looking forward to the draft all year and now we won't get it until when we normally would be talking about training camp and then probably won't get Kings hockey until January.

I mean, I probably said it would be great to not have to watch these guys but I didn't mean for this long. Just when they started to get more interesting...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It is gnarly though that we were simply looking forward to the draft all year and now we won't get it until when we normally would be talking about training camp and then probably won't get Kings hockey until January.

I mean, I probably said it would be great to not have to watch these guys but I didn't mean for this long. Just when they started to get more interesting...

00tcKEV.gif

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I realize it's tough with weather in alot of places, but I think I'd personally prefer it if the NHL were a January-August league instead of an October-June league. To much competition for eyeballs with the two most popular sports in America, NFL and NCAA football.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
So, what kind of package will it take to get Eichel out of Buffalo?

Probably Turcotte/Bjornfot/this years first. Problem is, the main sweetener in most these deals is a real good young NHL’er which the Kings just don’t have.

Ie Simmonds or JJ in the Carter/Richards deals.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Probably Turcotte/Bjornfot/this years first. Problem is, the main sweetener in most these deals is a real good young NHL’er which the Kings just don’t have.

The Richards trade is a good comparison, but with a higher cost given Eichel's age and production. I would hate to see a division rival like Anaheim pull off such a move for a #1 center, because he's the exact type of player they desperately need to replace Getzlaf.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I wonder if they would even consider moving Kopitar in such a deal? Might be too late etc, but Kopitar, Bjornfoot, 1st, for Eichel and say Risto, add filler where needed, makes it interesting to think about I suppose

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I wonder if they would even consider moving Kopitar in such a deal? Might be too late etc, but Kopitar, Bjornfoot, 1st, for Eichel and say Risto, add filler where needed, makes it interesting to think about I suppose

Per CapFriendly, Kopitar has a Modified NMC kick in beginning in 20-21. I’d would suspect the Sabres would be one of the teams on his no trade list.

If I’m the Sabres I don’t think I would be interested in a soon to be 33-year old.

Sabres would be foolish to deal Eichel. They need to jettison Botterill who has been subpar in the GM chair in Buffalo. Get your head out of your arse Pegula.

Can’t believe it’s been close to a decade since they made the postseason. Brutal.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar doesn't help Buffalo, even if he could be traded there. Unless the 1st is the #1, the Sabres might even be likely to mess it up.

Not that the Sabres are trading Eichel any time soon. They'll get at least one more year out of him, and likely at least one more GM after, or in addition to, that. Maybe come the end of 21-22, when his NMC clicks in, they deal him at the 2022 draft or something.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I like Eichel, he not only puts up a boatload of points, but he tends to put a pound of sweat in every shift and has a hunger to win, leadership and other intangibles that would benefit most teams. Unfortunately, he stuck in Buffalo, and as long as Pegula is at the helm, they will continue to swim in circles.
I'm sure a lot of teams would love to rescue Eichel, it's just a matter of what team has top assests and willing to give up a coupld #1's
But given his displeasure , the Sabres should consider it and move on.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eichel is just seething hunger and a desire for a better opportunity and I'm here for it. He's gonna be a phenom elsewhere. Obviously he already is.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think the Kings are an Eichel away from being contenders again, our defense is still swiss cheese. Especially if you're trading Bjornfot away. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and I'd love to have him, but not at the price it would cost.

Reactions: Stimpythecat

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think it would depend a hell of a lot on where our pick falls in the draft this year. I'd trade the #2 overall in a package for Eichel, full stop; he's basically what Byfield turns into in a dream scenario. If our pick is #4-7, however, I'd bet they'd ask for Vilardi given he's shown the most promise of any of our young players at the NHL-level (a la Simmonds or JMFJ in the Richards or Carter trades as those above mentioned). They'd likely require additional compensation given his injury history though. Turcotte is a nice piece, but he didn't blow the doors off this year and hasn't played at the pro level yet. I think it'd be more along the lines of one of these deals:

2020 1st - #2 overall
Bjornfot

or

Vilardi
Kempe
Anderson
2020 1st - #4-7 overall

Eichel is that good, and is "cost-controlled" for a while relative to his production/talent level. Honestly, they could probably get better offers than the second one listed as well. They might ask for Iafallo instead of Kempe, or Bjornfot again rather than Anderson. Not sure how Roy or Walker are valued outside of our team, but they could be trade pieces as well and are both capable of being 2nd pairing d-men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sure sounds like Bob Murray is throwing his coach under the bus. I'm surprised Bob has lasted this long considering the piss poor job he's done managing the Ducks.

“I’ve had enough of, ‘Well, well, well’ … No. Enough,” said Murray, the Ducks’ GM since November 2008. “In hindsight, because of the year before and what happened at the end, I kind of backed off and gave everybody space. I didn’t feel like I could be around as much. I thought I had to let Dallas and the crew (do their jobs).

“In hindsight, that’s a mistake. I’ll point that just as an error in judgment. My people argue with me on that, ‘No, it wasn’t a mistake.’ But now, I think I should have, and that won’t happen again.”

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sure sounds like Bob Murray is throwing his coach under the bus. I'm surprised Bob has lasted this long considering the piss poor job he's done managing the Ducks.

I think Bob has done a very good job overall managing things between drafting and budgeting, but shelf life is a thing, and that does read as the last gasp of a guy who is demanding results from his coach before they both get the axe.

Ducks are relatively in the same boat as as and they may be looking to a new GM to manage a new rebuild.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think Bob has done a very good job overall managing things between drafting and budgeting, but shelf life is a thing, and that does read as the last gasp of a guy who is demanding results from his coach before they both get the axe.

Ducks are relatively in the same boat as as and they may be looking to a new GM to manage a new rebuild.

I'm also starting think Eakins really isn't cut out for an NHL head coaching gig. He's done brilliantly as an AHL head coach, but this is twice that he's shown he couldn't handle an NHL locker room. And I do give Murray credit for doing what he can and his drafting record is pretty good, but the players that they needed to take a step up this season didn't and it could eventually cost him his job.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I like Eichel, he not only puts up a boatload of points, but he tends to put a pound of sweat in every shift and has a hunger to win, leadership and other intangibles that would benefit most teams. Unfortunately, he stuck in Buffalo, and as long as Pegula is at the helm, they will continue to swim in circles.
I'm sure a lot of teams would love to rescue Eichel, it's just a matter of what team has top assests and willing to give up a coupld #1's
But given his displeasure , the Sabres should consider it and move on.

Given his talent and age, I would not move him. And I certainly would not have Botterill be the one who is entrusted to find the right trade for him. Has not done a good job since being installed as the GM there.

Have to try to build around a talent like that as opposed to dealing him for a bunch of futures.

Sure he's pissed, can't blame him, but that's kind of kid you want to have. He desperately wants to win and he'll do anything he can to help get it done.

Personally, I hope the Sabres can right the ship. Good fan base and they deserve better.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad