Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They are only paying 3 million. It's fine. They may even just buy him out. Second round pick for 3 million cash is okay.
Detroit only had 4 defensemen, and that’s counting an unsigned RFA, so they are presumably not buying him out. Spending 3m on a 2nd is not ok and isn’t something teams will do. Staal has a terrible rep but the Red Wings may believe that he’s ok for 3.2m for one year with a 2nd as a sweetener.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Detroit only had 4 defensemen, and that’s counting an unsigned RFA, so they are presumably not buying him out. Spending 3m on a 2nd is not ok and isn’t something teams will do. Staal has a terrible rep but the Red Wings may believe that he’s ok for 3.2m for one year with a 2nd as a sweetener.

Nothing wrong with buying draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylors lost step

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't know what the buyout would cost the Wings, but let's assume 2/3rds of 3.2M which is 2.067M - that's barely overpaying for a 2nd round pick. And I think it's quite possible that they will keep Staal and try to move him for another pick at the deadline, presumably a rather low one, but if they can come out of this with a 2nd and a 4th for a 2/3rds of a year of Staal they'll have done okay.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean someone has to play defense in Detroit. With their own aged vets hitting UFA (Daley, Ericsson, uh... Goloubef) they are likely keeping him as they try to get younger guys outside of Hronek settled in the NHL.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not giving away the whole newsletter but two of the names Cordell floated for the 17th or 20th were Cernak and Dunn.

I haven't really watched either guy much but seems a bit rich. Am I wrong?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not giving away the whole newsletter but two of the names Cordell floated for the 17th or 20th were Cernak and Dunn.

Initial reaction is I think a pick would be coming back with Cernak. He’s more of your stay at home type D with size. Dunn I think is worth more so maybe 1 for 1 at 20?

Edit: If the price is right, I would be interested in both.

Reactions: Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Have you been happy with the content on Cordell's site?

I like it and feel that it's worth it. He's very regular with his posts - there's one almost every other day, if not daily. Sometimes, he sends out multiple posts a day. Sometimes, it's just his opinion (i.e. he does not like Askarov at 7 and goes into why), but I think he's doing his best to make sure it's not fluff. I won't lie - it's similar to his stuff on Hockey Buzz but a little more in-depth and strategy-oriented.

Basically there's almost no lag between the news cycle and his detailed discussion of it. For me, it's him and Masisak and everyone else is fluff related to the team or just not interested in going as deep as Cordell does. It's one of those cases where enthusiasm determines the winner?

Frankly, he's a sharp guy and timed his decision to do this really well. This is the future - a knowledgeable fan/outsider takes the reigns and offers better coverage. If I had to bet, I'd say he's going to get team access sooner rather than later. I think it will grow to be more than just a blog.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I'm fine with that price for either.

Reactions: Oneiro

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I think my ideal trade for us this offseason is 20th overall + something else for Cernak and Killorn (yes I know Killorn has as NTC)

that fills 2 of our needs in one fell swoop and Tampa gets the salary cap help they need to re-sign all their guys

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean someone has to play defense in Detroit. With their own aged vets hitting UFA (Daley, Ericsson, uh... Goloubef) they are likely keeping him as they try to get younger guys outside of Hronek settled in the NHL.

Staal on that Detroit team might be under 40% Corsi, though. He is awful and pretty much always has been. They might be better served trying to pick up half of his deal and getting another pick from someone now - GMs may still disregard Corsi, but they'll look at +/-, and Staal carrying a minus per 2 games played won't look so hot.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Staal on that Detroit team might be under 40% Corsi, though. He is awful and pretty much always has been. They might be better served trying to pick up half of his deal and getting another pick from someone now - GMs may still disregard Corsi, but they'll look at +/-, and Staal carrying a minus per 2 games played won't look so hot.
In the Athletic article on the trade Yzerman says Staal is going into the Red Wings line-up. (I just looked up the article, I don’t closely follow Detroit.) I knew they had some older UFAs ascending to the afterlife but I forgot they also traded Green on top of that so they have spots open for broken down vets.

Yzerman might have felt it would be hard for him to sign a experienced UFA defenseman to a one year deal that’s a whole lot better for the same money and they need some experience in there plus they get the 2nd out of it.

The Red Wings lost 49 regulation games (plus 5 in overtime) out of 71, I’m guessing that’s a tough sell on the UFA market for one year deals. In contrast, in our worst years in this skid we lost 40 & 41 (in 82 games obviously) with more than twice as many OT losses, though there’s a certain efficiency in going straight to the loss in regulation I guess.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yzerman is looking at his team knowing they are, once again, going to get smoked on a nightly basis. It's not about competitiveness but insulating the kiddos with a quality person who's used to taking heat for his poor play. And he gets a 2nd out of it with the chance to take advantage of a dumb GM at the deadline.

Enter Ben Lovejoy.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yzerman is looking at his team knowing they are, once again, going to get smoked on a nightly basis. It's not about competitiveness but insulating the kiddos with a quality person who's used to taking heat for his poor play. And he gets a 2nd out of it with the chance to take advantage of a dumb GM at the deadline.

Enter Ben Lovejoy.

LMAO if Yzerman got Staal just to be a whipping boy. That would rule so hard.

Reactions: Nemo4 and Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Haha, I'm just guessing that losing like that is hard when no one knows what to do. So, from a people management perspective, you get someone who's been through it all.

I generally agree that what happens on the ice is what should dictate 90+% of the decision making but sometimes that's just not relevant when you suck.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think my ideal trade for us this offseason is 20th overall + something else for Cernak and Killorn (yes I know Killorn has as NTC)

that fills 2 of our needs in one fell swoop and Tampa gets the salary cap help they need to re-sign all their guys

That would be an ideal trade for us and the Lightning. As much as I would like Cernak on our blueline, Killorn would be an excellent addition to our lineup.

He’s a hard nose player that’s been through it all and would be a great influence around our youngsters.

That and the fact that he grew up 10 minutes away from where I lived is just another added bonus for me.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In the Athletic article on the trade Yzerman says Staal is going into the Red Wings line-up. (I just looked up the article, I don’t closely follow Detroit.) I knew they had some older UFAs ascending to the afterlife but I forgot they also traded Green on top of that so they have spots open for broken down vets.

Yzerman might have felt it would be hard for him to sign a experienced UFA defenseman to a one year deal that’s a whole lot better for the same money and they need some experience in there plus they get the 2nd out of it.

The Red Wings lost 49 regulation games (plus 5 in overtime) out of 71, I’m guessing that’s a tough sell on the UFA market for one year deals. In contrast, in our worst years in this skid we lost 40 & 41 (in 82 games obviously) with more than twice as many OT losses, though there’s a certain efficiency in going straight to the loss in regulation I guess.

Yeah, that makes some sense. Staal is really bad, though, and I think the Wings might still be getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad