Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
My point is just that the subsequent moves aren't so easy. So, by making one move that requires another, you're creating additional complexity. If it's necessary, fine. Which is where I think the Devils were with Larsson / Hall. But, if it's more of a nice to have? I think avoiding complexity is better.

The Devils do need to improve their goal scoring, but they have Nico, Bratt, Hughes, Gusev (and hopefully Boqvist). That group should improve.

The D, on the other hand, is pretty barren. Maybe Ty Smith will be a player. Bahl seems more uncertain. No one else is really in consideration.

I can see the Devils winning without bringing in a significant upgrade at forward. I can't see that on D.
It’s not a mystery why we don’t have a lot of potential young top 4 defensemen in our system. Shero simply didn’t draft for them. Our top two defense prospects are the only two we drafted in the first three rounds in 2015-2018. Out of the other 29 picks in 15-18 we only drafted 7 defensemen and four of those were 7th rounders.

I know I’m a (long winded) broken record but it’s very hard to trade for young top four D these days unless your sending the equivalent forwards back. Mueller was clearly a reclamation project and San Jose used the 2nd they got to draft Mario Ferraro who was playing on their 2nd pair this season (likely due to injury, but still).

It’s not that I covet that particular player, though he’s a nice one, but I do covet the whole process of drafting & developing defensemen it represents and I wish Ray was more enthusiastic about that process before the 2019 draft.

We need to draft more of them, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd round + wait a few years = profit. I’ll be thrilled if Fitz can get someone from somewhere other than free agency but there are rarely shortcuts and cheats that get you young defensemen worth anything and they cost a great deal. I agree that if we gave up significant assets it would have to be for a defenseman.

I’d also point out we already traded 2020 37th pick for defense and the 2020 68th pick w/ 2021 2nd rounder for offense. We also get to decide if we are keeping the forward we traded for or flipping him before Vegas even uses the 2nd we gave them in the trade.

I’m not bitching about those trades but those assets are gone so we have less to work with. I’m not bitter about Ray but I’m hoping for a shift in drafting philosophy and I’m just not expecting another team to gift us a young defenseman they went to the trouble drafting and developing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
No Stammer tonight. It will be interesting if all he plays is 2 minutes in the entire playoff run.

I expected him to only play 1 of these 2 btb games so it doesn’t surprise me to see him out. Did he ever labor while on the ice that game? Wasn’t he on the bench after those few shifts in the 1st? Such a strange situation.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d love to get Laine but it would delete our assets to get him .
Right now , Devils have the 3 picks , tons of cap room , and a pile of “decent” not great prospects.
I’d rather use the picks and see what we can add by either UFA (Dadanov) or a team that needs to shed salary.
I know it’s not a sexy offseason but I hope we get Dadanov , Zadorov and offer sheet Sergachev from the Lightning . Snag Killorn in trade .
That adds the top 6 winger and 2 D that is rumoured to be what Fitz’s goals are this offseason. .
Draft one of Sanderson Drysdale Raymond Rossi and go from there .
Need a backup goalie or a 1a/1b setup and we would be much better

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ain’t he like 32-33 already? Eh. The term is a bit long, especially since he will probably be one of the oldest defensemen in the league when that contract ends.

You gotta figure Andy Greene at 37 was the 10th oldest player (as far as regulars go, not including call ups or the 44 year old zamboni driver goalie) in the league this year.

And that contract doesn’t start till 2021-2022?

Reactions: Guttersniped

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I expected him to only play 1 of these 2 btb games so it doesn’t surprise me to see him out. Did he ever labor while on the ice that game? Wasn’t he on the bench after those few shifts in the 1st? Such a strange situation.

He didn't look to be laboring, but at several commercial breaks he was testing it. I was surprised because the couple times he was out, he looked fine.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He didn't look to be laboring, but at several commercial breaks he was testing it. I was surprised because the couple times he was out, he looked fine.
Do people know what’s exactly wrong with him? I know it’s lower body but I was just wondering if there was gossip with more specifics.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
they only had to spend a second round pick to save almost $6 million on a cap hit? what the f***

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If that holds up I don’t see NJ making any real trades this offseason. Teams won’t have to move good players.

I can't decide. Part of the problem is the draft being before free agency. If FA was first, I think it'd be far more likely we make a trade.

I definitely don't believe we are doing any cap dump deals. I don't think it's impossible that we make a deal though

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I can't decide. Part of the problem is the draft being before free agency. If FA was first, I think it'd be far more likely we make a trade.

I definitely don't believe we are doing any cap dump deals. I don't think it's impossible that we make a deal though

Certainly not impossible but a legit hockey deal is harder to do and doubly so when you don’t have much in the way of expendable assets. I sort of expected cap space to be more of an asset this offseason based on the media reporting but I guess that was overblown. Nearly 6 mil for a mid second round pick? That’s going to make life much easier for the TBs and VANs and NYIs of the league.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The future consideration will be some irrelevant thing like a conditional 7th or some nonsense. Good for the Rangers but Detroit does this just for a second? Yikes.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
This is what I was saying. Teams like Vancouver will not have to pay that much to fix their cap issues. It’s the same story every year.

That said, I actually think Detroit did well in this deal. They’re getting a fairly high 2nd round pick in a deep draft.

edit: worth noting that Detroit is picking up $3.2 million in salary. Possible they’re paying the $1 million signing bonus - I don’t know when that’s actually due. But I bet the Rangers paid that. And Staal likely plays real minutes for Detroit.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The future consideration will be some irrelevant thing like a conditional 7th or some nonsense. Good for the Rangers but Detroit does this just for a second? Yikes.

They are only paying 3 million. It's fine. They may even just buy him out. Second round pick for 3 million cash is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad