Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Maybe they pay Seattle to take him. I dunno.
Jack Johnson? No way that happens, Seattle wants good players, he’s awful, he’s 33 now and make +3m.

I get the reasons for the Pens resisting buying JJ out, particularly since he has three years left so the cap hit penalty will last six. They have a logjam at defense though and if they don’t get rid of Johnson they will potentially have to trade a better defenseman or have very expensive bottom pair/spare. It’s more than just saving 2m after the buyout.

As I understand it Matheson has some real hockey IQ issues but the Pens do have some meat and potatoes defensemen they can pair with him and hope it works. Matheson is potentially a real step up from Johnson at least, which I realize is very faint praise at best.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
NJ needs defense (Severson)

If the deal were light enough, I'd ship severson in a heartbeat to get Laine. The problem is I think it costs severson and a whole boat load more, which makes it prohibitive.

But our need for defense would not preclude me from using severson to get a much better player, especially when we need scoring as well if the offer was presented

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I've brought up my issues with Laine before

he is not a play driver
he is going to command ~$10 million or more on a long term deal in all likelihood
we would likely have to gut our available assets for a winger
why does Winnipeg want to trade a 22 year old pure goal scorer? Something about it is weird.

This. Time and time again.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Don't disagree with any of that. Laine is more or less just the current example. Honestly, I'd rather get Ehlers, who I've liked for a few years.

But my point is that just because we need defense doesn't necessarily mean that severson should be untouchable or something. He's an okay player, but not irreplaceable

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Don't disagree with any of that. Laine is more or less just the current example. Honestly, I'd rather get Ehlers, who I've liked for a few years.

But my point is that just because we need defense doesn't necessarily mean that severson should be untouchable or something. He's an okay player, but not irreplaceable

I agree in theory, but we pretty much just saw this movie a few years ago when Ray traded Larsson for Hall. The Devils got the theoretically much better player, but in the end they never really replaced Larsson. Maybe you can say they tried finally last year with Subban, but that's still three years later and Shero got fired months later.

I'm not trying to revisit the Hall trade or somehow say it was a bad move. I'm just wondering if we'd really want to do a repeat now.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I agree in theory, but we pretty much just saw this movie a few years ago when Ray traded Larsson for Hall. The Devils got the theoretically much better player, but in the end they never really replaced Larsson. Maybe you can say they tried finally last year with Subban, but that's still three years later and Shero got fired months later.

I'm not trying to revisit the Hall trade or somehow say it was a bad move. I'm just wondering if we'd really want to do a repeat now.

Yeah, but you can't isolate like that. Not having Larsson was not the reason that this team has sucked the last few years. We've been horrible offensively, we've been horrible on defense, and our goaltending outside of Blackwood has sucked. 1 great move doesn't wash everything out, it's just a step. You then have to have successful subsequent moves. The fact that Shero, for whatever reason, didn't replace Larsson isn't really a reason to avoid trading Severson now. The two don't have anything to do with one another.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah, but you can't isolate like that. Not having Larsson was not the reason that this team has sucked the last few years. We've been horrible offensively, we've been horrible on defense, and our goaltending outside of Blackwood has sucked. 1 great move doesn't wash everything out, it's just a step. You then have to have successful subsequent moves. The fact that Shero, for whatever reason, didn't replace Larsson isn't really a reason to avoid trading Severson now. The two don't have anything to do with one another.

My point is just that the subsequent moves aren't so easy. So, by making one move that requires another, you're creating additional complexity. If it's necessary, fine. Which is where I think the Devils were with Larsson / Hall. But, if it's more of a nice to have? I think avoiding complexity is better.

The Devils do need to improve their goal scoring, but they have Nico, Bratt, Hughes, Gusev (and hopefully Boqvist). That group should improve.

The D, on the other hand, is pretty barren. Maybe Ty Smith will be a player. Bahl seems more uncertain. No one else is really in consideration.

I can see the Devils winning without bringing in a significant upgrade at forward. I can't see that on D.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Id love to sign Wennberg to a short contract

I don't see the need, if we're rolling with Nico/Zacha/Jack down the middle.

I also don't really understand this hypothetical buyout from CBJ's perspective, because they're hurting for centers. Wennberg might be underwhelming for what his contract pays him, but he plays a position of need.

If we're targeting CBJ players, it has to be Anderson.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't see the need, if we're rolling with Nico/Zacha/Jack down the middle.

I also don't really understand this hypothetical buyout from CBJ's perspective, because they're hurting for centers. Wennberg might be underwhelming for what his contract pays him, but he plays a position of need.

If we're targeting CBJ players, it has to be Anderson.
maybe we can convert wennberg to a LW? torts started to do that with him, so the brass there has thought about it.
Exploring The Blue Jackets' Experiment To Move Alexander Wennberg To The Wing

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wennberg will almost undoubtedly sign elsewhere if he is bought out. His best chance in the NHL is as a center and there's always lots of demand.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Wennberg will almost undoubtedly sign elsewhere if he is bought out. His best chance in the NHL is as a center and there's always lots of demand.
he'll cost a team 4.9M for the next 3 years, and there are concerns his ceiling is no higher than a checking center, prob a 2/3C at best, and apparently he's not good at faceoffs. in the article i linked, torts tried him at LW w dubois and bemstrom

idk, i might take a gamble if he can pivot. if he fails at LW, maybe he could be an upgrade to zacha

Last edited:

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
So who is going to pay up for this guy? I've heard Jets fans on these boards say that they wouldn't take Hischier as the main piece in a trade. I'm not questioning Laine's ability, but if the price is that high, I don't see who can trade for him without hurting their team more than they help it.

The return in a Laine deal does not revolve around what people on hfboards say.

The return in a Laine deal will be MUCH less than any Winnipeg fan would accept on hfboards.

The return in a Laine deal from a Devils standpoint would be Subban @50% retained salary or Severson + 18th or 20th overall + a good prospect such as Boqvist + something else such as McLeod.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No Stammer tonight. It will be interesting if all he plays is 2 minutes in the entire playoff run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad