Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And they already have Jack Johnson as a boat anchor for the next three seasons lmao

What are they doinggg
Matheson is younger and faster. He is both those things.

Both those deals have issues and are hard to move so they traded problems, I understand Florida more because I’m not going to bother figure out what constitutes the Pens defense right now. Florida had too many big crappy defenseman contracts and they got rid of the longest one so bully for them.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah, I didn't Matheson's deal was tradeable (without a significant sweetener). Pens ownership/management might be focusing for the short term and figure they'll be rebuilding for those later years? Like I said, it's a strange trade just trying to think out loud about how it possibly benefits them.

I agree. I'm shocked they were able to move Matheson. I assume Rutherford figures he's retiring / getting fired in the next couple of years, and that it's the next guy's problem.

I mean, I figured maybe the Devils could swap Schneider for Matheson, but I still thought there would be a material sweetener coming back.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If the Pens gave a 30+ player who plays like Hornqvist a 5 year/5.3m extension without insuring the deal then once again I got to say I don’t understand how insurance works with NHL contracts.

Reactions: NJDevs26

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
This is going to sound hyperbolic but Rutherford is likely the worst GM to ever win as many as three Cups. He was in Carolina forever without much success but had one of his rare good teams in the right season with the right coach then was gifted a ready made team in Pittsburgh.
Didn't he just parlay this into a HOF induction as well?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Didn't he just parlay this into a HOF induction as well?

He did lol...probably any GM with 3+ Cups is in the Hall. I still think he was more or less right place right time with Pittsburgh, and everything fell into place the one year in Carolina where they were pretty close to going out in round one, got a Buffalo team with half its D on the IR in the Conference Finals and an overachieving Edmonton team without its goalie (who was a Smythe frontrunner going into the finals) after the first game of the SCF.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Seravalli had a quick article about contract structure for upcoming FAs. I like this quote from an agent.

“I’ve told my players to expect a crunch,” the agent continued. “Expect teams to be capped out. There will be very few UFA dollars. The goal should be to stay in the league as opposed to getting dollars or term.”

Contract structure to be a major factor in NHL Free Agent Frenzy - TSN.ca

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Seravalli had a quick article about contract structure for upcoming FAs. I like this quote from an agent.

“I’ve told my players to expect a crunch,” the agent continued. “Expect teams to be capped out. There will be very few UFA dollars. The goal should be to stay in the league as opposed to getting dollars or term.”

The week long courting period might have been beneficial this year for us. I wonder if players will sign fast and maybe not look at all of their options.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The week long courting period might have been beneficial this year for us. I wonder if players will sign fast and maybe not look at all of their options.

Id expect each team to have a handful of guys they will want to reach out to. Most will be overlapping and those guys will have some options. Value will be in the second tier of guys. When free agency opens you call guys on the second tier on the first day to see whether they would be receptive to a team friendly deal. It may be the year where you can get a guy you want for an extra $500k over a two year term rather than $6 mil for a seventh year to get a 29 year old UFA to sign with you. Hard to say right now. I also think a number of teams are going to think they are clever and go right to the second tier guys and shy away from guys like Hoffman and Pietrangelo. My guess is that guys who end up out of the league would have anyway.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wonder... You're not allowed to talk to players until the UFA period opens, but can/do teams reach out to their agents earlier to let them know they have interest in a player? I've seen too many players signed in the first minutes of free agency to believe that's not common.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I wonder... You're not allowed to talk to players until the UFA period opens, but can/do teams reach out to their agents earlier to let them know they have interest in a player? I've seen too many players signed in the first minutes of free agency to believe that's not common.

Well in recent years they changed it so that pending UFA players can talk to teams in the days/week leading up to free agency. So that's probably why you see so many deals signed immediately.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well in recent years they changed it so that pending UFA players can talk to teams in the days/week leading up to free agency. So that's probably why you see so many deals signed immediately.
No, of course I know that. I'm talking before we had that talking period.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Officially, no, you can’t contact the agent to discuss the player or even slyly discuss generalities.

Unofficially, it was definitely happening and was why they added the interview week. It made official what was happening anyway.

Reactions: My3Sons

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Its funny because I was thinking the opposite. An team that does not mind spending money may be interested in giving a large bonus this year in exchange for a lower AAV/cap hit on the contract.

For example, Hischier may lose roughly $2mil of his newly signed contract because of a shortened 2021 season. The Devils could instead give him most of the next year's salary in a bonus, but take that $2 mil off from the following years. In the end, Hischier will get the same amount of money but on a $6.5 mil cap hit instead of a $7 mil one.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Officially, no, you can’t contact the agent to discuss the player or even slyly discuss generalities.

Unofficially, it was definitely happening and was why they added the interview week. It made official what was happening anyway.

I once played golf with an NFL GM. While on the cart he fielded two calls from agents. Both asking him about his team's interest in a player. In both cases the player was currently under contract with a different team, one a divisional rival, and the GM told both agents that he'd have interest in their players if the player reached UFA status but couldn't discuss anything further until then. I discussed it with the GM and he said those calls are fairly common and usually just designed to get the current team to up the offer when they are talking extension. I realize contracts in the NFL are different but I'm guessing the process isn't that much different.

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad