Around The League 2019-20 part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Laine next to Hughes would be magical. We just don’t have the pieces if Nico isn’t on the table (he clearly wouldn’t be).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I just can't actually comprehend why Pens make this move, Am I missing something?

Yeah it's a strange move, the only thing I can think of is that they save in 1.8 million in real money this season between Matheson/Hornqvist. I think Frank Seravelli mentioned that several teams were budgeting below the cap and that the Penguins were aiming for the low-to-mid 70s.

Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range; the Arizona Coyotes, who recently failed to make on-time signing bonus payments to a number of players, may be operating just south of $70 million under their next GM; the Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly planning to budget in the low-to-mid $70 million range on an $81.5 million limit.

I have them at a hair under 70 million in salary right now with a couple depth spots and Murray/Jarry both at RFAs plus Casey DeSmith. It seems like they're expected to deal Murray and go with Jarry. I imagine there's a corresponding move to come as they have 8D on one way deals right now.

It certainly seems like a strange move on the surface but perhaps that's just a precursor to more short term salary driven moves in the coming weeks.

That and/or they feel confident that they can rehabilitate Matheson like they did with Justin Schultz.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Today I learned that HF Boards has a much higher view of Hornqvist than I do.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's behind a paywall, but apparently Alex Goligoski's 8 team no trade list is: Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Ottawa, and Winnipeg.

One year left on his deal at 4 mil real cash / 5.475 cap hit.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

So other teams know why WPG would move Laine and are reluctant to offer anything for a guy who is apparently tough to motivate and will demand tip top dollar. Color me shocked.

I’d be happy to have him in NJ for anything other than Nico Jack and pick 7 so long as it’s not crazy but only because he will mature along with the team. From the interviews I’ve read with him he seems like a good kid but really just a kid.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah it's a strange move, the only thing I can think of is that they save in 1.8 million in real money this season between Matheson/Hornqvist. I think Frank Seravelli mentioned that several teams were budgeting below the cap and that the Penguins were aiming for the low-to-mid 70s.

Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

I have them at a hair under 70 million in salary right now with a couple depth spots and Murray/Jarry both at RFAs plus Casey DeSmith. It seems like they're expected to deal Murray and go with Jarry. I imagine there's a corresponding move to come as they have 8D on one way deals right now.

It certainly seems like a strange move on the surface but perhaps that's just a precursor to more short term salary driven moves in the coming weeks.

That and/or they feel confident that they can rehabilitate Matheson like they did with Justin Schultz.

I don't get why you wouldn't just buy out Hornqvist if this is the calculus. You save $3.5M this year and in each of the next 2 seasons and then have to pay $5.1M over the next 3. You should be able to get a Matheson-level D for what's left over if that's what you want.

Reactions: Brodeur

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't get why you wouldn't just buy out Hornqvist if this is the calculus. You save $3.5M this year and in each of the next 2 seasons and then have to pay $5.1M over the next 3. You should be able to get a Matheson-level D for what's left over if that's what you want.
I’m guessing they might buy out Jack Johnson next after trading Hornqvist and replace those players on the roster with what came back from Florida.

I assume they see Matheson as a young reclamation project with some upside.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
we might have a legitimate shot at hoffman. we can probably offer him more than most

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’m guessing they might buy out Jack Johnson next after trading Hornqvist and replace those players on the roster with what came back from Florida.

I assume they see Matheson as a young reclamation project with some upside.

I thought they already said they weren't buying out Jack Johnson, but I can't find any evidence of that now. That would make probably the most sense but I still feel like there's another move coming - they want to be in the mid-70s salary wise and they are already there with 3 forwards and a goalie left to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->