Around the League 2019-20 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's starting to become to late for them IMO. They waiting far to long to get into the game and now NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Crave (HBO), Disney+ ( with ESPN), DAZN (Access), YouTube (Google) and Hulu (Also Disney) have pretty much taken over the market. All of them with much higher budgets and much further global reach.

With how much loses Rogers has on this new deal I think they are going to step aside on the next one and there is no way that CBC will be able to get involved again. Who knows if TSN makes a play on the next one, DAZN jumped hard into the Canadian Market recently getting all the soccer rights they could acquire, we'll see if they make a play for CFL rights eventually. It all depends on if one of the big streaming services makes a play and how they do it. I believe the rights expire in 2025/26 so we'll see who makes a play. I'm hoping and praying that it's DAZN. Though YouTube would be interesting. They already have a massive reach on the teenager market, which would be huge for the NHL to get its hands on. Plus with Google behind it they would have a massive reach on the internet as well. So much can change between then and now but with th way things have been going for Rogers they are bleeding money.

Yeah, I've never even heard of some of those. :laugh: Some of the others don't operate in Canada, at least not yet. By '26 the environment may have changed so that you won't even recognize it.

I don't know to what extent internet streaming = the future. There are a lot of us who do not have high speed, high bandwidth access yet, and no improvement on the horizon. Until quite recently, the streaming services were only competing with cable as a delivery system, not a content provider. Their move into content provision is new and no one knows how it will work out. By the time you pay for your high speed, high capacity, high volume internet + subscriptions to half a dozen streaming services + content charges, you may long for the return of good old fashioned, simple cable TV. :laugh: The future is unknown.

Rogers must be bleeding money on this NHL deal but they still have massive revenues from other streams. Cable cutters are still very much in the minority - though that may not last long. But right now, cable TV is still a cash cow. And then of course, there is cell revenue, which is huge.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, I've never even heard of some of those. :laugh: Some of the others don't operate in Canada, at least not yet. By '26 the environment may have changed so that you won't even recognize it.

I don't know to what extent internet streaming = the future. There are a lot of us who do not have high speed, high bandwidth access yet, and no improvement on the horizon. Until quite recently, the streaming services were only competing with cable as a delivery system, not a content provider. Their move into content provision is new and no one knows how it will work out. By the time you pay for your high speed, high capacity, high volume internet + subscriptions to half a dozen streaming services + content charges, you may long for the return of good old fashioned, simple cable TV. :laugh: The future is unknown.

Rogers must be bleeding money on this NHL deal but they still have massive revenues from other streams. Cable cutters are still very much in the minority - though that may not last long. But right now, cable TV is still a cash cow. And then of course, there is cell revenue, which is huge.

Disney+ launches soon and they already have ESPN included so you get access to everything ESPN provides live and on demand. DAZN has already entered the Canadian market with full unfettered access to the NFL and PAC 12 NCAA football and basketball and now with UEFA, MLS, Europa, FIFA and Premiership rights they have the entire Canadian soccer market now pretty much. They also have the entire cricket market in Canada and have made a big play on the rugby market and Bellator fighting and have already made a play for the US UFC rights, they will likely get Canada's as well soon. You can also stream all KHL games on DAZN. Plus they offer a tonne of pro level niche sports like bowling, darts, tennis, table tennis, billiards and some stock racing. At $20 CAD a month it's a pretty solid deal. That works out to $240 a year which is roughly 2.5 of my monthly cable bills.

I'm really hoping DAZN can make a play for the NHL rights in the states when their current contract expires at the end of 2021/2022 season. If they do I think they'll make a major play for the NHL rights in Canada when the next contract expires, especially if they can provide good content in the US. Hopefully not long after that the CHL and NCAA hockey will follow suit and you have a one stop place to watch all hockey in Canada that costs far less than any cable provider can provide. Even bigger bonus if they can somehow get the SHL and Liiga on board in Canada. I'd never need cable again as I only have it to watch Jets games. After all of that if they can get the CFL rights then TSN and SN are basically done in Canada. Though I think DAZN would be smart to contract out TSN to do Canadian local braodcasts.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Disney+ launches soon and they already have ESPN included so you get access to everything ESPN provides live and on demand. DAZN has already entered the Canadian market with full unfettered access to the NFL and PAC 12 NCAA football and basketball and now with UEFA, MLS, Europa, FIFA and Premiership rights they have the entire Canadian soccer market now pretty much. They also have the entire cricket market in Canada and have made a big play on the rugby market and Bellator fighting and have already made a play for the US UFC rights, they will likely get Canada's as well soon. You can also stream all KHL games on DAZN. Plus they offer a tonne of pro level niche sports like bowling, darts, tennis, table tennis, billiards and some stock racing. At $20 CAD a month it's a pretty solid deal. That works out to $240 a year which is roughly 2.5 of my monthly cable bills.

I'm really hoping DAZN can make a play for the NHL rights in the states when their current contract expires at the end of 2021/2022 season. If they do I think they'll make a major play for the NHL rights in Canada when the next contract expires, especially if they can provide good content in the US. Hopefully not long after that the CHL and NCAA hockey will follow suit and you have a one stop place to watch all hockey in Canada that costs far less than any cable provider can provide. Even bigger bonus if they can somehow get the SHL and Liiga on board in Canada. I'd never need cable again as I only have it to watch Jets games. After all of that if they can get the CFL rights then TSN and SN are basically done in Canada. Though I think DAZN would be smart to contract out TSN to do Canadian local braodcasts.

None of that stuff you listed interests me. But that's me. I know there are lots of sports fans who watch just about everything, but cricket? OK. :laugh:

I think you missed my point about costs. No one streaming service will have everything. It will be $20 a month for each of half a dozen or so. Plus your internet costs are going to go up when you start paying for enough bandwidth for all that data rich content. It will be like cable was in the early days, cheap until they get you fully invested in their universe. Then watch the costs go up.

Nothing is ever simple. Nothing is ever both cheap and good for long. Nothing is ever as good as it should have been. And the mass of little guys always get screwed. Just the way it is.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
None of that stuff you listed interests me. But that's me. I know there are lots of sports fans who watch just about everything, but cricket? OK. :laugh:

I think you missed my point about costs. No one streaming service will have everything. It will be $20 a month for each of half a dozen or so. Plus your internet costs are going to go up when you start paying for enough bandwidth for all that data rich content. It will be like cable was in the early days, cheap until they get you fully invested in their universe. Then watch the costs go up.

Nothing is ever simple. Nothing is ever both cheap and good for long. Nothing is ever as good as it should have been. And the mass of little guys always get screwed. Just the way it is.

Yeah but look at the big picture here DAZN has football, soccer, basketball, combat sports, tennis, rugby, cricket and some hockey in Canada already. All they have to do is be the major player. I have the 2nd highest speed internet SaskTel offers for $80/month. So I'm still coming in at $100/month with DAZN and high speed fiber optic internet. Compared to like $180, I pay now for cable/internet. That's almost half of what I'm already paying and no matter what those costs for both services will always go up. I already sub to NetFlix and with my additional savings I could easily sub to Disney+, YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Crave and still get more content then my cable provider can give me at a higher price tag.

High Speed Fiber Optic - $80
NetFlix - $14
Disney+ - $13
DAZN - $20
Crave - $20
YouTube premium - $12
Amazon Prime - $13
= $172

So with that I'm now saving $8/month and just gave my self near infinitely more content then any cable provider can give me with their best $200/month plans. Literally the only thing stopping me right now is none of those services offer the one thing I want the most. Winnipeg Jets games. The moment that happens and I pray to the hockey Gods that it does I will be done with cable for the rest of forever.

Unless cable providers re-invent the wheel they are likely done the moment they lose hockey in Canada.

Edit: Just checked the SaskTel website and they have a promotion on for the same internet I'm paying $80/month for, for $45/month for 2 years. So you can get even more savings by flipping internet providers every 2 years.

Last edited:

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
Yeah but look at the big picture here DAZN has football, soccer, basketball, combat sports, tennis, rugby, cricket and some hockey in Canada already. All they have to do is be the major player. I have the 2nd highest speed internet SaskTel offers for $80/month. So I'm still coming in at $100/month with DAZN and high speed fiber optic internet. Compared to like $145, I pay now for cable/internet. That's almost half of what I'm already paying and no matter what those costs for both services will always go up. I already sub to NetFlix and with my additional savings I could easily sub to Disney+, YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Crave and still get more content then my cable provider can give me at a higher price tag.

NetFlix - $14
Disney+ - $13
DAZN - $20
Crave - $20
YouTube premium - $12
Amazon Prime - $13
= $172

So with that I'm now saving $8/month and just gave my self near infinitely more content then any cable provider can give me with their best $200/month plans. Literally the only thing stopping me right now is none of those services offer the one thing I want the most. Winnipeg Jets games. The moment that happens and I pray to the hockey Gods that it does I will be done with cable for the rest of forever.

Unless cable providers re-invent the wheel they are likely done the moment they lose hockey in Canada.

Edit: Just checked the SaskTel website and they have a promotion on for the same internet I'm paying $80/month for, for $45/month for 2 years. So you can get even more savings by flipping internet providers every 2 years.

Not sure where you live in Sask, but you should check to see if https://teksavvy.com or CanNet Telecom - Leading Internet Service Provider in Canada is available in your area. They just piggyback of Shaw infrastructure in MB. Cut my internet bill in half, the exact same service.

I

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure where you live in Sask, but you should check to see if https://teksavvy.com or CanNet Telecom - Leading Internet Service Provider in Canada is available in your area. They just piggyback of Shaw infrastructure in MB. Cut my internet bill in half, the exact same service.

I

CanNet isn't available in Sask it says but that TekSavy is and they offer almost double my download speed at the same price, upload speeds are a bit slower but not by much. Thanks for that I might have to look into it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah but look at the big picture here DAZN has football, soccer, basketball, combat sports, tennis, rugby, cricket and some hockey in Canada already. All they have to do is be the major player. I have the 2nd highest speed internet SaskTel offers for $80/month. So I'm still coming in at $100/month with DAZN and high speed fiber optic internet. Compared to like $145, I pay now for cable/internet. That's almost half of what I'm already paying and no matter what those costs for both services will always go up. I already sub to NetFlix and with my additional savings I could easily sub to Disney+, YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Crave and still get more content then my cable provider can give me at a higher price tag.

NetFlix - $14
Disney+ - $13
DAZN - $20
Crave - $20
YouTube premium - $12
Amazon Prime - $13
= $172

I'm not quite following your math. You have internet at 80/month and then you also have cable/internet. Why are you paying for internet twice?

Your high speed fibre optic is cheap. AFAIK most Canadians have to pay more and get less. I don't have any choices to speak of. I can have slow internet or slower and both are expensive. My sat TV is about $85/mo and not much choice there either except that I can change my packages around.
NetFlix - $14
Disney+ - $13
DAZN - $20
Crave - $20
YouTube premium - $12
Amazon Prime - $13
= $92 to replace my 85 cable package. You may or may not be getting more than I am, or less, depending on what you value. As it stands right now, you still don't have NHL or CFL.

If I could get DAZN that had all of those sports, including CFL and NHL and if I could get adequate internet service at acceptable cost I would be inclined to go that route for the $20/mo and cut back on my Sat TV package rather than cutting the cable altogether. Do the same with something like Amazon Prime or Crave and I might be able to cut my Sat TV done to the minimum of ~$25/mo and be ahead of the game.

Just not an option for me though until BellMTS starts providing high speed internet in the boonies. They provide what they call high speed now, but 6 Mbps is not high speed in this day and age. (Actually, they call that Lightning speed. :laugh::laugh::laugh: )

But that still isn't what I'm getting at. By the time we all replace cable/sat/etc TV with internet streaming a huge amount will have to be spent on internet infrastructure. We will have to pay for that. So your internet will cost quite a bit more than $80/mo. When those streaming services push other delivery methods aside, they will own you, and they will go up in price.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not quite following your math. You have internet at 80/month and then you also have cable/internet. Why are you paying for internet twice?

Your high speed fibre optic is cheap. AFAIK most Canadians have to pay more and get less. I don't have any choices to speak of. I can have slow internet or slower and both are expensive. My sat TV is about $85/mo and not much choice there either except that I can change my packages around.
NetFlix - $14
Disney+ - $13
DAZN - $20
Crave - $20
YouTube premium - $12
Amazon Prime - $13
= $92 to replace my 85 cable package. You may or may not be getting more than I am, or less, depending on what you value. As it stands right now, you still don't have NHL or CFL.

If I could get DAZN that had all of those sports, including CFL and NHL and if I could get adequate internet service at acceptable cost I would be inclined to go that route for the $20/mo and cut back on my Sat TV package rather than cutting the cable altogether. Do the same with something like Amazon Prime or Crave and I might be able to cut my Sat TV done to the minimum of ~$25/mo and be ahead of the game.

Just not an option for me though until BellMTS starts providing high speed internet in the boonies. They provide what they call high speed now, but 6 Mbps is not high speed in this day and age. (Actually, they call that Lightning speed. :laugh::laugh::laugh: )

But that still isn't what I'm getting at. By the time we all replace cable/sat/etc TV with internet streaming a huge amount will have to be spent on internet infrastructure. We will have to pay for that. So your internet will cost quite a bit more than $80/mo. When those streaming services push other delivery methods aside, they will own you, and they will go up in price.

My internet is $80/month, my cable is $100, so together they are $180/month. I could do without CFL rights as long as they had NHL rights. SaskTel is pretty connected in Sask, their coverage map is basically everywhere. I'd imagine that BMTS probably doesn't care much about anywhere other than Winnipeg considering like 90% of the population lives there.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Trouba also got dummied on the empty net goal. Stuck his leg out and Draisaitl just walked the puck around him casually.

Reactions: nhlpro

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba also got dummied on the empty net goal. Stuck his leg out and Draisaitl just walked the puck around him casually.
Trouba can sure lack hockey iq at times. Draisaitl is the most under rated player in the league. Nobody talks about him and hes an elite player.

Reactions: Roughneck1

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Trouba can sure lack hockey iq at times. Draisaitl is the most under rated player in the league. Nobody talks about him and hes an elite player.
That's what happens when you have McJesus on your team , all the talk is centered around him . I don't care though because i absolutely HATE the Coilers , deep wounds man , deep wounds . :mad:

None

Feb 22, 2012
That 1 year GM they had pretty much dismantled that team. Not Boudreau's fault. And the new GM doesn't need a scapegoat since he is new himself. I think Bruce is safe for a while. Safe from being fired that is. His head still may explode behind the bench. :laugh:

Maybe Boudreau gets fired if Parise puts out another introspective article (whining) about the team is spinning its tires and how the only thing he wants is to win a cup.
The owner was pretty clear that he didn't want a rebuild when they fired Fletcher but after the debacle with Paul Fenton I wonder how much can be realistically done with that roster without completely gutting their prospects and draft picks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe Boudreau gets fired if Parise puts out another introspective article (whining) about the team is spinning its tires and how the only thing he wants is to win a cup.
The owner was pretty clear that he didn't want a rebuild when they fired Fletcher but after the debacle with Paul Fenton I wonder how much can be realistically done with that roster without completely gutting their prospects and draft picks.

They needed a rebuild - whether the owner wanted one or not. After Fenton they need it a lot more than they did before.

Reactions: Duke749 and None

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They needed a rebuild - whether the owner wanted one or not. After Fenton they need it a lot more than they did before.

previous GM was bad......BUT

The owner and 35 year old Zach Parise decidE its cup time along with Staal (34), Koivu (36) and Suter (34 soon to be 35).

Wild can be a functional team but they are not winning a cup with that older group in tact. They have some really good players but they don’t have enough high end young talent to drive the bus on a cup winning run.

Reactions: Evil Little
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad