Around the League 2019-20 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hasn't the 7pm CBC HNIC timeslot always been Toronto-centric, even prior to SN?

Yes, but much less so than now.

Going back to original 6 days, it was fairly evenly divided between Montreal and Toronto. Sat night saw an awful lot of games between the 2 in the schedule.

I think that prior to SN the broadcast crews were much better. If they were doing a game between Calgary and Edmonton, for example, they would talk about Calgary and Edmonton and the game they were covering. Now they talk about TML while they let us watch whatever other game it is. :laugh:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Yes, but much less so than now.

Going back to original 6 days, it was fairly evenly divided between Montreal and Toronto. Sat night saw an awful lot of games between the 2 in the schedule.

I think that prior to SN the broadcast crews were much better. If they were doing a game between Calgary and Edmonton, for example, they would talk about Calgary and Edmonton and the game they were covering. Now they talk about TML while they let us watch whatever other game it is. :laugh:

Yeah. The one perk of SN is that we can choose to watch our own team games instead of just the early Leafs game (ala CBC era), but I am most annoyed by how every intermission is like 80% Leafs. Our only respite is when Leafs aren't playing, and the Leafs intermission content is cut back to ~40% on good night's.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Actually, that is not all.

Leaf's butts whipped - again.

Leafs defense appears to be even worse than ours with all the missed games we've had. :laugh:

I'm very, very curious to see what happens with the Leafs next off-season when I believe Rielly is their only defenseman signed to a contract. They won't have much cap space available either. Muzzin is UFA so unless they find a way to create cap he's gone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gross, looks exactly like it did the day the Jets made the WCF

They definitely know who gives them the most clicks, at the end of the day the almighty dollar will always prevail. I usually use TheScore app for hockey news. They typically pin Leafs news at the top but they always have a good variety and up to the minute up to date info. Other then that here is usually pretty good for staying on top of stuff.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They definitely know who gives them the most clicks, at the end of the day the almighty dollar will always prevail. I usually use TheScore app for hockey news. They typically pin Leafs news at the top but they always have a good variety and up to the minute up to date info. Other then that here is usually pretty good for staying on top of stuff.

Well of course the GTA brings them the most clicks - they are driving everyone else away by their extreme pandering to that market. They could have a potential market of 35 million people. They prefer 10-15 million potential.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well of course the GTA brings them the most clicks - they are driving everyone else away by their extreme pandering to that market. They could have a potential market of 35 million people. They prefer 10-15 million potential.

I'd imagine they have a lot of statistics driving their content. Many times their CFL coverage is pretty heavily Riders and Bombers based. They know who drives the most clicks so they pander to that market. There are much better sites for specifically Jets news and much better places for all hockey related news than Sportsnet and TSN.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd imagine they have a lot of statistics driving their content. Many times their CFL coverage is pretty heavily Riders and Bombers based. They know who drives the most clicks so they pander to that market. There are much better sites for specifically Jets news and much better places for all hockey related news than Sportsnet and TSN.

Yes, I realize what they are doing and why. I'm suggesting that by overdoing it so badly they are alienating the rest of the market. They could still get all the clicks from Leafs fans, who are spread across the country and still do a much better job of covering the other 6 Canadian teams + the rest of the league. They don't need to go to such an extreme.

It is the same as the way SN covers the "Other 6". When they are doing a Jets game, they are the home team broadcast. They don't need to be complete homers, but please stop pumping the tires of the other team. And - especially - don't take every opportunity to talk Leafs while doing it. If all they want to do is talk Leafs, then leave our games alone ffs.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Historically Winnipeg 1.0 was always a bigger leafs market than jets market. CBC used to show leaf games over Winnipeg games as it made more $$$.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, I realize what they are doing and why. I'm suggesting that by overdoing it so badly they are alienating the rest of the market. They could still get all the clicks from Leafs fans, who are spread across the country and still do a much better job of covering the other 6 Canadian teams + the rest of the league. They don't need to go to such an extreme.

It is the same as the way SN covers the "Other 6". When they are doing a Jets game, they are the home team broadcast. They don't need to be complete homers, but please stop pumping the tires of the other team. And - especially - don't take every opportunity to talk Leafs while doing it. If all they want to do is talk Leafs, then leave our games alone ffs.

Yeah I could do without Sportsnet broadcasts but when you own a team in the league you are going to push that team on everyone hoping it drives up any kind of sale for you. That's the major downside to Canadian sports media being so heavily involved in the actual teams. There is always going to be a bias and it is always going to be pushed.

Sportsnet see's HNIC broadcasts as less about the home team and more about marketing their products. Given how streaming is shaping up I would love for DAZN, Amazon Prime or Disney+ or if they were smart enough, Netflix, to get involved in Hockey. Remove blackouts from our markets and create a streamed only brand of hockey where you get all games every single night of every single team. They'd really have to outbid Rogers and local TSN rights but if they could it would revolutionize the sport IMO. Almost every household in Can and US is subscribed to at least 1 streaming service. Most importantly they would get the brand to that coveted 18-30 year old market that is increasingly moving away from cable. If done right they could even sub-lease to TSN for broadcasts, who do a much better job locally than SN.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Historically Winnipeg 1.0 was always a bigger leafs market than jets market. CBC used to show leaf games over Winnipeg games as it made more $$$.

Leafs will always be a huge market because of their history. They have been around forever and have fans all over the country.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I could do without Sportsnet broadcasts but when you own a team in the league you are going to push that team on everyone hoping it drives up any kind of sale for you. That's the major downside to Canadian sports media being so heavily involved in the actual teams. There is always going to be a bias and it is always going to be pushed.

Sportsnet see's HNIC broadcasts as less about the home team and more about marketing their products. Given how streaming is shaping up I would love for DAZN, Amazon Prime or Disney+ or if they were smart enough, Netflix, to get involved in Hockey. Remove blackouts from our markets and create a streamed only brand of hockey where you get all games every single night of every single team. They'd really have to outbid Rogers and local TSN rights but if they could it would revolutionize the sport IMO. Almost every household in Can and US is subscribed to at least 1 streaming service. Most importantly they would get the brand to that coveted 18-30 year old market that is increasingly moving away from cable. If done right they could even sub-lease to TSN for broadcasts, who do a much better job locally than SN.

Have to agree with the bold. With the amount they are paying for broadcast rights, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. But that's JMO.

The business of distributing the product to peoples homes is changing quite rapidly. It is hard to know how it is going to go from here. So far at least, the cable companies have been dropping the ball. They have a lot of resources and should be expected to fight back.

They should be encouraging potential cable cutters to stay by offering lower cost packages that customers could better tailor to their needs. Even though unbundling was actually legislated a few years ago they just worked around the legislation to maintain the status quo. That only resulted in more cable cutting. To try to maintain their revenues, they are responding by raising their rates on their remaining customers. This is suicidal behaviour on their part. But they may figure it out before they die.

How this is going to affect broadcast rights contracts is anybody's guess. Contractors are going to resist paying the huge sums the contractees have become accustomed to if they are going to be undercut by new distributors.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't believe that was ever true. Yes there are a lot of TML fans in Wpg, and everywhere else in the country. But even in the WHA days there were far more Jets fans in Wpg than Leafs fans. If the CBC was going to show 1 game nationally of course they would choose TO over Wpg. That doesn't mean it made more money in Wpg than a Jets game would have.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Have to agree with the bold. With the amount they are paying for broadcast rights, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. But that's JMO.

The business of distributing the product to peoples homes is changing quite rapidly. It is hard to know how it is going to go from here. So far at least, the cable companies have been dropping the ball. They have a lot of resources and should be expected to fight back.

They should be encouraging potential cable cutters to stay by offering lower cost packages that customers could better tailor to their needs. Even though unbundling was actually legislated a few years ago they just worked around the legislation to maintain the status quo. That only resulted in more cable cutting. To try to maintain their revenues, they are responding by raising their rates on their remaining customers. This is suicidal behaviour on their part. But they may figure it out before they die.

How this is going to affect broadcast rights contracts is anybody's guess. Contractors are going to resist paying the huge sums the contractees have become accustomed to if they are going to be undercut by new distributors.

It's starting to become to late for them IMO. They waiting far to long to get into the game and now NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Crave (HBO), Disney+ ( with ESPN), DAZN (Access), YouTube (Google) and Hulu (Also Disney) have pretty much taken over the market. All of them with much higher budgets and much further global reach.

With how much loses Rogers has on this new deal I think they are going to step aside on the next one and there is no way that CBC will be able to get involved again. Who knows if TSN makes a play on the next one, DAZN jumped hard into the Canadian Market recently getting all the soccer rights they could acquire, we'll see if they make a play for CFL rights eventually. It all depends on if one of the big streaming services makes a play and how they do it. I believe the rights expire in 2025/26 so we'll see who makes a play. I'm hoping and praying that it's DAZN. Though YouTube would be interesting. They already have a massive reach on the teenager market, which would be huge for the NHL to get its hands on. Plus with Google behind it they would have a massive reach on the internet as well. So much can change between then and now but with th way things have been going for Rogers they are bleeding money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad