Around the League 2019-20 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
previous GM was bad......BUT

The owner and 35 year old Zach Parise decidE its cup time along with Staal (34), Koivu (36) and Suter (34 soon to be 35).

Wild can be a functional team but they are not winning a cup with that older group in tact. They have some really good players but they don’t have enough high end young talent to drive the bus on a cup winning run.

I just scanned their roster and their non-roster players. They've got nothing but Dumba and a bunch of over the hill older guys. Really, nothing. Gotta be the weakest system in the NHL, all told and the weakest NHL lineup.

IMO, they should be selling on everybody for futures. Not that they will have much luck moving some of those contracts.

Reactions: ps241

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Very interesting:

Full thread @ EvolvingWild (@EvolvingWild) | Twitter

I do remember looking at Natural Stattrick after the last game against the Pens at home and being very surprised at how low the xGA was for the Jets considering how many grade-A chances the Pens had (both buried and unburied) such as shots on rebounds, banging away in front of the crease and shots from upclose very quickly following another shot which are normally very high xGoal events.

Reactions: hn777 and SLAYER

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
^^ I found an example of this from Pens-Jets game.

The first Zach Aston-Reese goal according to NHL's tracking was "14.4 feet" from the goal, somewhere around close to the bottom of faceoff circle to the left of Brossoit. That's not even close to 14 feet from what I can tell, Zach Aston-Reese literally taps it in from just outside the goal crease.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
The NHL's trying to devalue public facing tools to prop up their own internal tools that they were deploying this year to later sell the data off to their broadcast partners and gambling proprietors.

/conspiracy

I haven't read any of the tweets aside from the ones you've posted @JetsFan815, but I wouldn't even be surprised if what I posted above was close to the truth.

Reactions: hn777

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
^^ I found an example of this from Pens-Jets game.

The first Zach Aston-Reese goal according to NHL's tracking was "14.4 feet" from the goal, somewhere around close to the bottom of faceoff circle to the left of Brossoit. That's not even close to 14 feet from what I can tell, Zach Aston-Reese literally taps it in from just outside the goal crease.

It is 64 feet from goal line to blueline so if you think about it 14 feet is really not that far out from the goal line. 1/3 of 64 is 21.3 feet. So 14 feet wouldn't be to far out from the goal line at all. It's 11 feet from the boards to the goal line, so add 3.4 feet from there and that is actually pretty close to where Reese took that shot from. 14.4 might be a bit much on 2nd look but it's easily 10+. That Mantha goal is well over 14 feet away from the goal line though. Only thing I can think of with that one is are they counting any redirections? Because Mantha's shot might have gone off of a defencemen in front of the net, video is to grainy to tell for sure.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Considering Reese is 6 feet tall and he is probably close to 2 body lengths from the goal plus you add a foot or two on the distance of his stick he probably is pretty close to 14 feet away.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
It is 64 feet from goal line to blueline so if you think about it 14 feet is really not that far out from the goal line. 1/3 of 64 is 21.3 feet. So 14 feet wouldn't be to far out from the goal line at all. It's 11 feet from the boards to the goal line, so add 3.4 feet from there and that is actually pretty close to where Reese took that shot from. 14.4 might be a bit much on 2nd look but it's easily 10+. That Mantha goal is well over 14 feet away from the goal line though. Only thing I can think of with that one is are they counting any redirections? Because Mantha's shot might have gone off of a defencemen in front of the net, video is to grainy to tell for sure.

Twitter's video player is worse than Shaw, but Mantha is right in front of the net, I believe.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Considering Reese is 6 feet tall and he is probably close to 2 body lengths from the goal plus you add a foot or two on the distance of his stick he probably is pretty close to 14 feet away.

To me it looks like they're measuring the travel distance from where the puck was shot to where it crosses the goal line.
The pinnacle of the crease is only 6 feet out from the goal line, from where the curve of the crease ends to the goal line is 4 feet 6 inches. Without the overhead angle of the net it'd be hard to get an accurate point for where the puck was shot from because we don't have the angle that the camera is located relative to the ice surface.
That said, I'd say that's about a foot and a half outside of the shortest part of the crease when the puck is directed towards the net. I think if we were calculating the shortest route the puck could take to pass the goal line it would probably only be around 6-7 feet out.

I think that's the key difference, they're measuring the total travel distance from when the puck was shot (probably accurate around 12-14 feet in the Zach Aston-Reese goal) rather than the shortest distance to the goal line from where the puck was shot. It won't be a big deal for most goals, but anything that goes behind the back of the goaltender and goes in perpendicular to the face of the goal might end up with a longer travel distance and make tap-in goals appear as if they're 6-10 feet out.

The Johansen goal is a little more egregious to me because I think it was basically put in from the goal line rather than the 9 feet recorded. 9 feet would probably be accurate if they were measuring from the initial shot, but it looks like it was the poke that puts it in from under Holtby.

The Mantha goal throws a wrench into my travel distance theory though, because that was tapped in from probably a foot out. A single foot out is a far cry from the 6 feet it was recorded at, unless they're recording body position rather than puck.

Frame 1 shows where the puck ends up after the initial save on Larkin's shot, Mantha hasn't touched the puck yet at this point.
xvnkHnr.png

Frame 2 shows the location of the puck when Mantha directs it into the net, Mantha's closest skate is around 6 feet from the goal line at that point.
eSHDTUI.png

Regardless of what's going on here, the NHL probably needs to explain the inconsistency.

Last edited:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

NHL regularly goes in and sneakily fixes some obvious mistakes and errors every once in a while, including shot locations - i.e. how they sometimes add an assist a day or two after. I've heard often that players or agents regularly badger the league to add on such things because those points are crucial in contract negotiations.

Micah thinks it's a software issue and not an actual difference in tracking methods. Hopefully they'll fix it quickly - in the meantime, all it really does it make most xG models a little more subdued (you'll regularly see teams at <2 xG) in addition to trackers missing about 5-10% of shots that happen but aren't recorded.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With the Stars I was saying to anyone that would listen that their goaltending numbers were going to regress hard this season and that would have a big impact. Past that I don’t mind their team but they have trouble laying off the “old” brand name free agents. They are no where near as bad as this slow start but their goaltending numbers inflated their status after last season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Leafs lose again , 40 million on 4 forwards doesn't buy wins , guess you need some defense too , like the Jets have . :naughty:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Another Golden Knight suspended for PED's, Zykov gets 20 games and of course has not idea how they got into his system.

I believe that McPhee was quoted saying that Zykov told him he was taking them for years, but didn't know it was banned.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Watching That's Hockey on TSN. Panelists seem almost giddy with excitement about Tavares's injury because it gives them another reason to discuss the Leafs incessantly.

Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->