Around the League 2019-20 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh Hutch was a problem. The Leafs have had zero Quality Starts from non-Andersen goalies this year. Keefe probably correctly decided playing Andersen on b2b nights was a better choice than putting in a fresh Hutch...

Probably - but how did that work out?

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Oh Hutch was a problem. The Leafs have had zero Quality Starts from non-Andersen goalies this year. Keefe probably correctly decided playing Andersen on b2b nights was a better choice than putting in a fresh Hutch...

The funny thing is, they almost had a glut of OK back up goalies the last couple of seasons (McElhinny, Pickard, Sparks) but decided on Hutch? I'm guessing cap space was an issue but they just seemed to jettison everyone quickly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, he is due for some regression back up to his .904 career SV%...not sure he'll get the chance though. Maybe he's wasting all his QS in the AHL - he's a .942 in 3 games with the Marlies this season. Hey, the Leafs should hire the Marlies' coach - oh wait...

Hutch is limited by his temperament. In spite of considerable skill, he could never be a starter in the NHL. He just might be a backup. Maybe. But backup goalies are notoriously inconsistent. They can look outstanding in stretches - see Brossoit last year. And they can be horrible in stretches - Hutch this year. Neither of those stretches tells the complete story though.

Considering the team in front of him, is it fair to blame Hutch for playing like he has? Like a backup goalie?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Hutch is limited by his temperament. In spite of considerable skill, he could never be a starter in the NHL.

This seems like the kind of armchair sports-psychology that would be pretty hard to support with evidence. If it's just a hunch, that's fine, but you don't strike me as the type to trade in narratives or speculation.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
All the problems the Leafs have start and end with Dubas, giving Tavares that deal, and caving on the Nylander hold out that has hamstrung the organization, going all in will lead to retooling the team next year meanwhile Mathews gets closer to free agency. They better hope they have some quality D in the minors.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
All the problems the Leafs have start and end with Dubas, giving Tavares that deal, and caving on the Nylander hold out that has hamstrung the organization, going all in will lead to retooling the team next year meanwhile Mathews gets closer to free agency. They better hope they have some quality D in the minors.

Those every-penny contracts were at least partly a holdover from the Babcock hiring.

If they'd already had a players' coach in place, there would've been far less acrimony in those negotiations.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This seems like the kind of armchair sports-psychology that would be pretty hard to support with evidence. If it's just a hunch, that's fine, but you don't strike me as the type to trade in narratives or speculation.

You might call it a hunch. I base it on a combination of his streaks, good and bad, and his demeanor/body language etc. It may not be the best of evidence. It wouldn't hold much weight in a court of law. But it is what I think I have seen from him over 6 years.

That is the simplest form of my armchair psychology. I could try to go deeper but then I really would be overstepping my psychology background. :laugh:

You are quite correct to label it as amateur, armchair psychology but I'm fairly confident in my diagnosis.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Leafs fans were acting pretty smug yesterday about the Jets grabbing Shore off waivers and how we like their 4th line castoffs; I felt like replying how is our goalie and 4th line castoff working out for you guys but bit my tongue (I don't like stirring crap up on other fan boards).
He would probably still be a Leaf if they had any CAP SPACE . :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good for the Yotes. That new owner of theirs seems like he's got it together. Not that this is directly related, but I wish the team success.

Still 28th in attendance. Way better than Ottawa mind you, but there's an easy fix for that problem. :nod:

upload_2019-12-6_10-33-10.png

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: The Western Alienation Dome seems to fit.
There better be zero federal tax dollars spent on that place. In fact, the government should levy an Alberta Entertainment Luxury Tax on this new building and Roger's Place in Edmonton to help pay for arenas in have-not places like Chicoutimi and Trois Rivieres! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad