Around the League 2019-20 - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't much like your solution. The problem in Ottawa isn't Ottawa or fans. They deserve better. They don't deserve to lose their team.

Sens owner Eugene Melnyk named the worst owner in pro sports
Melnyk's a huge part of the problem there. The arena location is also an issue - it's kind of like the Coyotes' situation with Gila River Arena being inconvenient to a significant portion of the fanbase. And Ottawa is not a great sports town in general - their favorite sport is politics (CPAC is literally Channel 22 there, whereas everywhere else it's on Channel 584^10).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Melnyk's a huge part of the problem there. The arena location is also an issue - it's kind of like the Coyotes' situation with Gila River Arena being inconvenient to a significant portion of the fanbase. And Ottawa is not a great sports town in general - their favorite sport is politics (CPAC is literally Channel 22 there, whereas everywhere else it's on Channel 584^10).

Lots of politics and politicians but the area also has a population of ~a million normal people too. :laugh:

The arena situation is very similar to Arizona's. With a better owner than Melnyk they probably would have got the LeBreton Flats new arena project to fix that. Or some other solution.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Optimism is pulling you're goalie while down 3:
Screenshot_20191208-182425~2.png

Reality:
Screenshot_20191208-182439.png

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
That would be very strange as were such a small market. Nbc sure wouldn't let this happen would they? I have a feeling it would be colorado or another rival.

I have to think you're right. Maybe it depends on if they want the gate or the TV viewers.

I imagine the Jets would help fill the stadium much better than the Avs would, but after two Heritage Classics in the last few years it's hard to gauge whether many Winnipeggers would even still have the wherewithal to travel for it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I have to think you're right. Maybe it depends on if they want the gate or the TV viewers.

I imagine the Jets would help fill the stadium much better than the Avs would, but after two Heritage Classics in the last few years it's hard to gauge whether many Winnipeggers would even still have the wherewithal to travel for it.

Not that I'm representative but I'd be much more inclined to head to a winter classic in Minneapolis than the Heritage Classic in Regina. Winnipeggers love their Minny.

Otherwise I agree with both contentions - we're not the draw for TV and not sure that soon after the Heritage that many would want to travel.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Minnesota vs Dallas in the Winter Classic would have made sense, with Dallas wearing some sweet retro North Stars jerseys. But since Dallas is in the upcoming one, not going to happen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Statement from Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill:

"The Dallas Stars expect all of our employees to act with integrity and exhibit professional behavior while working for and representing our organization. This decision was made due to unprofessional conduct inconsistent with the core values and beliefs of the Dallas Stars and the National Hockey League."

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Statement from Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill:

"The Dallas Stars expect all of our employees to act with integrity and exhibit professional behavior while working for and representing our organization. This decision was made due to unprofessional conduct inconsistent with the core values and beliefs of the Dallas Stars and the National Hockey League."

This seems to come out of nowhere.

Or were there hints it might be coming?

None

Feb 22, 2012
This seems to come out of nowhere.

Or were there hints it might be coming?

I thought he was going to get fired earlier in the season before their win streak.

I wonder what he did, the statement from the Stars makes it sound like he may have said or done something to someone outside of the organization. TSN is reporting that it wasn't something that would have fallen under the NHL's new code of conduct for management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad