Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
So ****ing sick of rat hockey.

While I "should" have a problem with what Looch did, I 100% agree that if the refs aren't going to take care of business, treat it like the 1960s.

I thought the same thing. Too many punks under 25 are running around doing whatever they want and are not policed on the ice. They hide behind the refs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought the same thing. Too many punks under 25 are running around doing whatever they want and are not policed on the ice. They hide behind the refs.

I'll never get the image of Tkachuk--TWICE already--spearing people over bench walls out of my head. Infuriated me on my couch.

Even 15 years ago, the refs and players would have just stepped aside and let someone beat the absolute piss out of him for such a chickenshit move.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Yeah, I don't think Malkin raised his arm to protect himself. He saw Oshie coming and gave him a cheap shot.
Oshie lowered his head right into Malkin's elbow area. Keep your head up and it's a elbow to his shoulder. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oshie sit out practice tomorrow to sell it even more.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Oshie lowered his head right into Malkin's elbow area. Keep your head up and it's a elbow to his shoulder. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oshie sit out practice tomorrow to sell it even more.

Honestly Malkin gets away with so much shit, one of the dirtiest players in the league. No benefit of a doubt from me suspend his ass even if it Oshies fault.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So Colorado lost in regulation yesterday.

That means if one of Dallas/Edmonton loses in regulation today, and the Kings win, the Kings will be 4 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Honestly Malkin gets away with so much ****, one of the dirtiest players in the league. No benefit of a doubt from me suspend his ass even if it Oshies fault.

I haven't seen the play in question at all but if it's even remotely borderline, Yeah, Malkin does not get the benefit of the doubt from me ever.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So Colorado lost in regulation yesterday.

That means if one of Dallas/Edmonton loses in regulation today, and the Kings win, the Kings will be 4 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.
But also tied with St. Louis and Vegas in the Western Conference, and with six other teams vying for two wild card spots. At this point in the season I tend to look at how many teams stand between the Kings and a playoff spot. They are all going to play each other, so at least half of those teams will pick up points every night.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I haven't seen the play in question at all but if it's even remotely borderline, Yeah, Malkin does not get the benefit of the doubt from me ever.
Malkin clearly sees Oshie coming and raises his shoulder to make contact with Oshies jaw. I don't have a problem at all with Malkin giving a cold shoulder on that play if he lowers it and delivers the blow to Oshie's chest. Malkin is a headhunter. I have seen him do this too often.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
But also tied with St. Louis and Vegas in the Western Conference, and with six other teams vying for two wild card spots. At this point in the season I tend to look at how many teams stand between the Kings and a playoff spot. They are all going to play each other, so at least half of those teams will pick up points every night.

Need to win divisional games to have a shot. Lots of divisional games this month.

It's a long shot but not writing off yet

Reactions: King Trouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

It's still too early to worry about the number of teams in front. Right now, 3rd in the Pacific is on pace for 97 points, and the 2nd wild card for 93. So they need between 82 and 86 points in the remaining 68 games to have a chance. Not easy, not impossible.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So the Pens dropped their 5th straight last night and are giving up over 3 goals a game (they do miss Justin Schultz)
So Rutherford did a radio interview , quoted in the article below. He is not one to sit long and I'm guessing is looking to make changes. He did say internally first but not ruling out a trade .

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford rips team, says roster changes may be coming

So I wonder if they continue to lose a few more games, if he'll be eyeing up a trade. It could be Muzzin or AMart might fit that need. Kessel was on the block over the summer, he might be going.
But given Rutherford's history, I don't think he'll wait too much longer. He did bring up a couple kids, and I guess he'll see how that works out.
They do need better secondary scoring. Malkin and Crosby carrying too much of the load.
Also , Murray's been brutal at times.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Friedman's 31 thoughts column yesterday, headline was about the Sens and the Uber situation. It was a good read, I thought. I didn't realize until he pointed it out, that the article in the Ottawa Sun had no byline because no reporter would touch it. That the Uber driver was pissed off about the tip not being enough. So IMO, what they did, bitching about the boss, their jobs ,etc, is something that players on every team do when their pissed off , the Sens just got caught. It's no different then anybody in an office or other job does, talking to coworkers when their are not happy with management. It should not have been put on public display

31 Thoughts: The fallout from Senators' Uber video - Sportsnet.ca

Kings reached out to Willie before...

On the Kings hiring Sturm...

Sturm briefly played in Los Angeles, and was going to get an assistant coaching position somewhere in the NHL. The Kings made the pre-emptive jump to make sure it was with them, and whoever replaced Stevens was going to have to understand that. It’s probably not anytime soon, but Sturm is a future head-coaching candidate.

. On Sunday, the Kings made the first coaching change of 2018-19, replacing John Stevens with Willie Desjardins. There is some history here. After Desjardins was fired in Vancouver following the 2016-17 season, Los Angeles contacted him about their “offensive co-ordinator” idea, eventually taken by Pierre Turgeon. Desjardins declined that, and it is believed he said no to at least one more assistant position after leading Canada to a bronze medal at the 2018 Olympics.
“I really want to be a head coach,” he said Monday night. “If you’re an assistant, and you get promoted, you feel so brutal about it.” I respect his willingness to bet on himself, taking a contract for the remainder of the season. “That does not bother me. If we do a good job, they’ll keep me.”

9. No doubt Blake will continue to try and change his roster. One name out there: Tanner Pearson. After breaking through with 24 goals in 2016-17, he’s got 15 in his last 95 games, including none this year. He’s still only 26.

On teams making the playoffs who are 4 or more points out of a playoff spot by Nov 1, on 7 teams since 2004/05 season have overcome it.

19. Readers of this blog know I keep a Nov. 1 stat. Since 2004-05, just seven of 54 teams at least four points out of a playoff spot following games on that date have recovered to reach the post-season. This year, there are five contenders: Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, St. Louis and Vegas.

About those entry level deals and the scoring leaders

20. As the salaries for top players grow, others wonder what will happen to the middle class. Here’s an idea of where we’re headed. The website PuckPedia lists salaries next to scoring leaders. Headed into Tuesday’s games, 42 of the top 43 scorers were either on their entry-level contracts or above $4.65 million. The one exception was Montreal’s Max Domi, at $3.15 million.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sharks fans already talking about moving Jones.

And now with the new contract, it'll be tougher to trade him. Who needs a struggling goalie at $5.75m until 2024? You trade the asset after the trip to the Final, and before the 4th contract. So summer of 2016, before he has a chance to come down from the high during the 16-17 season. The Sharks are just another franchise that holds onto players though. Unlikely that Jones would be better than in the full 15-16 season, so sell high. Two average seasons after that, and now this season so far. Today, what are you getting for him? Probably just an average high priced goalie, at best.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sharks fans already talking about moving Jones.
Remember how they gloated about getting him from Boston?
C7JxBU9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad