Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If I were coaching them I'd bag skate them hard in practice while yelling hows that for changing things up.

Not paying attention in meetings? Holy **** grow up.

The best part is the set of Ottawa fans saying "everybody talks **** about work and coworkers" while ignoring their players are openly saying they aren't paying attention or trying to learn anything.

That uber driver's still a jerk though

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The best part is the set of Ottawa fans saying "everybody talks **** about work and coworkers" while ignoring their players are openly saying they aren't paying attention or trying to learn anything.

Not how I read it, the one guy said, HOW can you learn anything when all the coach does is commentate on what happened, that's not not trying to learn, that's wanting to learn, but questioning the methods of the coach. The not paying attention part, is a byproduct of that, but still a bad move.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I agree the driver is an ahole. This isn't high school. The players have been in the NHL for a while now. You aren't learning anything? How about asking some questions? Never seen a veteran player coach a younger player on the bench? Try to be of some help and not a lazy ass in that situation, because you're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Blackhawks have fired Quenneville.
...and another coach pays the price for terrible contracts given to players who are no longer motivated, or simply are no longer physically capable of performing at their peek.

Grab a clue GMs, you don't have to hand out these contracts to players simply because they were on your roster when the team won a Stanley Cup.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
...and another coach pays the price for terrible contracts given to players who are no longer motivated, or simply are no longer physically capable of performing at their peek.

Grab a clue GMs, you don't have to hand out these contracts to players simply because they were on your roster when the team won a Stanley Cup.

Just curious who are you talking about in Chicago? Kane 6th in league scoring, DeBrincat PPG, Toews, just off a PPG, Seabrook, 20 minutes a night, Keith 22 minutes a night....

Cmon man, again this is just hyperbole

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Toews and Seabrook are not worth the money they are getting. The smartest thing a GM can do in today's game is recognize when the run is over and jettison the still good, but no longer great players then rebuild around the still great players. The GMs act like children in this regard, they buy high and sell low.

Toews at $10.5M, Saad at $6M, Seabrook at $6.875M. All on long term contracts. That's a joke.

The Seabrook contract is particularly offensive if you are a Blackhawks fan.

Contracts so ridiculous Chicago had to bring in a broken down Kunitz for a year. This is what the Kings future looks like going forward.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If I were coaching them I'd bag skate them hard in practice while yelling hows that for changing things up.

Not paying attention in meetings? Holy **** grow up.

I'd install video to their visors and bag skate them while they watched video until they could tell me what they learned or they painted the visor with muck.

Dude. He coached for 10 years. The only longer tenured coaches in any sport are Popovich, Belicheck, and (not anymore) Scoscia.

Reactions: King Trouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'd install video to their visors and bag skate them while they watched video until they could tell me what they learned or they painted the visor with muck.

Dude. He coached for 10 years. The only longer tenured coaches in any sport are Popovich, Belicheck, and (not anymore) Scoscia.

Not only that, but the guys that K17 are bitching about are producing, with the exception of Saad.....

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Q had a great run in Chicago. Agree they over paid several players, but they did have sweetheart deals on Hossa and Keith - but that’s the GM’s fault. Seabrook’s deal is absolutely horrible. That one is a real head scratcher. He was majorly trending downward before he signed it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

So Coach Q was there for 10 years. Did he forget how to coach? Should he go, or should players no longer be given contracts with ridiculous term which makes it impossible to hold them accountable.

The players I cited are not producing on a consistent basis. Toews is finally earning a portion of his money this season. What about last season and the season before that, and the one prior to that? You want to pay a player $10.5M in cap hit to produce sub-60 point seasons? That contract is dog ****. Seabrook is a shell of his former self defensively and not worth the money or the term. It's no big deal when these players decide to have a decent year every other year or every third year of these deals. Still not worth the contract they signed.

Reactions: King Trouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Toews and Seabrook are not worth the money they are getting. The smartest thing a GM can do in today's game is recognize when the run is over and jettison the still good, but no longer great players then rebuild around the still great players. The GMs act like children in this regard, they buy high and sell low.

Toews at $10.5M, Saad at $6M, Seabrook at $6.875M. All on long term contracts. That's a joke.

The Seabrook contract is particularly offensive if you are a Blackhawks fan.

Contracts so ridiculous Chicago had to bring in a broken down Kunitz for a year. This is what the Kings future looks like going forward.

Again, I agree with the underlying theory, but I don't get how you expect it to actually happen.

Toews signed his current deal in July 2014. A few weeks after being one goal away from a likely Cup win, and about 11 months before a Cup win. When was that run over? Do you probably give up on 2015? Their run seems to have been over in June 2015. Do you not sign Toews, and trade him in the summer of 2014? Trade him at the 2015 deadline? Let him walk after you try to win? How about in the summer of 2013? Coming off that Cup, with a couple years left on his good contract, Toews would not have had more value than at that time.

The Kings are one thing. Lombardi didn't manage to win with either Kopitar or Doughty on their ELC's, the way Chicago and Pittsburgh did with at least one of their big guys. The Kings were working in a different time frame. The number of trades giving up future Lombardi had to end up making to just get out of the 1st round is a Kings problem. Seabrook, sure, that came after June 2015, and that was his 4th contract. When do you trade Toews though? When could you notice that run was over?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Again, I agree with the underlying theory, but I don't get how you expect it to actually happen.

Toews signed his current deal in July 2014. A few weeks after being one goal away from a likely Cup win, and about 11 months before a Cup win. When was that run over? Do you probably give up on 2015? Their run seems to have been over in June 2015. Do you not sign Toews, and trade him in the summer of 2014? Trade him at the 2015 deadline? Let him walk after you try to win? How about in the summer of 2013? Coming off that Cup, with a couple years left on his good contract, Toews would not have had more value than at that time.

The Kings are one thing. Lombardi didn't manage to win with either Kopitar or Doughty on their ELC's, the way Chicago and Pittsburgh did with at least one of their big guys. The Kings were working in a different time frame. The number of trades giving up future Lombardi had to end up making to just get out of the 1st round is a Kings problem. Seabrook, sure, that came after June 2015, and that was his 4th contract. When do you trade Toews though? When could you notice that run was over?
The owners are fools if they don't make it happen in the next CBA. Eliminate the guaranteed contract, or limit max term to 5 years or less. No fan should have to spend their hard-earned money to watch players who are no longer motivated.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Not worth it to engage, the guy is a video game GM at best, his revisionist history is made to make it look like he knows what he's talking about....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The owners are fools if they don't make it happen in the next CBA. Eliminate the guaranteed contract, or limit max term to 5 years or less. No fan should have to spend their hard-earned money to watch players who are no longer motivated.

NHLPA will never let it happen

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Damn I'd pick up Q immediately for us now.

It's very tempting. Part of me thinks Blake won't be so hasty, but he'd be a fool if he didn't kick tires on this. On the other hand, how would Q feel about the prospect of joining a team in an identical situation?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Can't disagree. Wonder if the guaranteed money would be a larger hill the PA is willing to die on than the cap itself, but it would be an entertaining battle.

Reactions: KINGS17

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree the driver is an ahole. This isn't high school. The players have been in the NHL for a while now. You aren't learning anything? How about asking some questions? Never seen a veteran player coach a younger player on the bench? Try to be of some help and not a lazy ass in that situation, because you're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game.

I agree. Even if a coach is failing at teaching a point, ask.

There are daily meetings at my job. We have an opportunity to discuss what's going on and sometimes get feedback from management on things that happened or things we did wrong (I work in tech support).

If we aren't understanding the message or what we should be doing differently, we ask.

Do the players ask "Coach. What do we do in a similar situation? How can we prevent or mitigate it in the future? WHAT DO WE DO?"

If they do that, I find it very shocking they omit it in their roast.

I'm sorry, I can't agree in this case.

As the saying goes, coaches are hired to be fired. It's an ugly part of the business where Quenneville lasted much longer than the average coach.

Toews, Kane, etc are all producing. I don't know all the ins and outs of the Blackhawks, but I wouldn't be so quick to pointing out Quenneville's fall is due to underperforming star players. I'm sure part of it is just that it's time for a new voice or a new direction of the team.

They are two points out of top 3 in their division, but have the 4th worst goal differential. Seems more like they have games where things collapse and he can't manage. That's far from the Kings situation where every game was just ugly, and the only time there was a team effort was after Stevens' fate was sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad