Around the League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I only disagree with the bottom statement.

The hard cap helps protect owners from themselves. Is it unfair there's no tax in Florida? Maybe. Is it unfair California doesn't have an annual hurricane season? Is it unfair that Edmonton and Winnipeg have some unforgiving winters?

Players make decisions based on what's best for them. Taxes/finances is certainly a tangible benefit. But I would rather Florida benefit from no taxes than Toronto, Detroit, New York etc benefit from no hard cap.

That's completely irrelevant though. So just because there are nicer places to live they should get taxed for it? Tell me, how is it fair that Florida can offer the equivalent of after taxes money in the form of exact salary when teams like the Kings have to offer higher salaries to get comparable numbers. Why does one team get to escape taxes and another doesn't? If the purpose of a hard cap is to level the playing field for cheap teams vs rich teams then how come the areas with low tax or no income tax get a benefit for the cap ?

Why isn't the cap adjusted for after taxes if they truly want to level the playing field for all teams ?

You shouldn't get levied a penalty against you in a sense for being supposedly a better place to live.

Hurricanes have nothing to do with making a financially fair environment for all teams because taxes in a sense give teams more or less money to spend so the "hard cap" pretty much screws teams with higher income taxes, and let's be honest that's not fair at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Because they can pay their players without personal income tax so their players have LOWER AAVS while making the same money as players with bigger contracts.

Yet, idiots on nationals will continue to suck off Yzerman like he's the one who set no personal income tax.

Hence, why it's bull**** That there's a hard cap

I doubt the PA would want the tax thing to be equalized in some way. The big name UFA's can play the higher tax/lower tax teams against each other. That means less for lesser players, but that's life. The PA already doesn't want the cap, and probably wouldn't want even more limitations on potential salary. They're already complaining about escrow, and that's just to get the split right.

You do increase complexity in the environment when you introduce a salary cap though. Just more variables that have to be accounted for. If you can spend as much or as little as you want, it's a pretty simple equation.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I doubt the PA would want the tax thing to be equalized in some way. The big name UFA's can play the higher tax/lower tax teams against each other. That means less for lesser players, but that's life. The PA already doesn't want the cap, and probably wouldn't want even more limitations on potential salary. They're already complaining about escrow, and that's just to get the split right.

You do increase complexity in the environment when you introduce a salary cap though. Just more variables that have to be accounted for. If you can spend as much or as little as you want, it's a pretty simple equation.

It's already like that though, and that's not the players fault. In a truly balanced and competitive league they should stride to make the cap be whatever money a player gets after taxes to a set amount. The actual money after taxes/aav adjusted should be what's counted towards the cap.

One of the reasons why the Kings are in salary cap hell isn't the bad Deals they made, it's that they had to shell out more for their comparables after taxes. Why do you think no one ever says the Kings got a steal of a contract then go and suck off Yzerman? Because Kings get boned by taxes.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's already like that though, and that's not the players fault. In a truly balanced and competitive league they should stride to make the cap be whatever money a player gets after taxes to a set amount. The actual money after taxes/aav adjusted should be what's counted towards the cap.

One of the reasons why the Kings are in salary cap hell isn't the bad Deals they made, it's that they had to shell out more for their comparables after taxes. Why do you think no one ever says the Kings got a steal of a contract then go and suck off Yzerman? Because Kings get boned by taxes.
While the unreasonable tax rate in California affects the signing of UFAs, I would argue it's the second contract that mattters the most. The GMs have all the leverage on their side when the 2nd contract is being negotiated.

As a general rule, any player seeking 8 years on their third contract should be traded.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's completely irrelevant though. So just because there are nicer places to live they should get taxed for it? Tell me, how is it fair that Florida can offer the equivalent of after taxes money in the form of exact salary when teams like the Kings have to offer higher salaries to get comparable numbers. Why does one team get to escape taxes and another doesn't? If the purpose of a hard cap is to level the playing field for cheap teams vs rich teams then how come the areas with low tax or no income tax get a benefit for the cap ?

Why isn't the cap adjusted for after taxes if they truly want to level the playing field for all teams ?

You shouldn't get levied a penalty against you in a sense for being supposedly a better place to live.

Hurricanes have nothing to do with making a financially fair environment for all teams because taxes in a sense give teams more or less money to spend so the "hard cap" pretty much screws teams with higher income taxes, and let's be honest that's not fair at all.

You do realize they pay taxes when they go on the road, right? So while players may have more paid tax free days, they still pay a high tax rate when they play in Toronto, New York, etc.

It's not like every paycheck is tax free for them.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You do realize they pay taxes when they go on the road, right? So while players may have more paid tax free days, they still pay a high tax rate when they play in Toronto, New York, etc.

It's not like every paycheck is tax free for them.

I get that, but the contract they sign for their team is based upon to location regardless of taxation in the districts they're playing in match ups. Those teams still benefit by far.
While the unreasonable tax rate in California affects the signing of UFAs, I would argue it's the second contract that mattters the most. The GMs have all the leverage on their side when the 2nd contract is being negotiated.

As a general rule, any player seeking 8 years on their third contract should be traded.

I can see a good case for that

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you want some chaotic fun, read the Pens board after this loss to the Leafs. They have a top 5 record right now, the Kings are on a horrible pace as they sit in 31st place, and if you put the posts here and there side by side, you almost couldn't tell the difference. Coach sucks, need multiple trades, comfortable players, the system sucks, old, the next generation isn't pulling their weight. It's interesting.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you want some chaotic fun, read the Pens board after this loss to the Leafs. They have a top 5 record right now, the Kings are on a horrible pace as they sit in 31st place, and if you put the posts here and there side by side, you almost couldn't tell the difference. Coach sucks, need multiple trades, comfortable players, the system sucks, old, the next generation isn't pulling their weight. It's interesting.

Minus their spot in the standings obviously, those were all very real concerns coming into this season for them. They're an extremely flawed team on paper minus the (again obviously) superstars.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
f*** those guys. Locker room cancer right there.

I'd have them sit in the minors for the rest of the season if I were GM.

Funny to watch though.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Would love to hear what the coaches say about the players in private.

How stupid do you think *blank* is? How many times have we told him the most important thing about a point shot is to get it through to the net.

That *blank's* ass is glued to the half wall on the power play no matter how many times we tell him to move.

*Blank* is just a little p***y. Our star rookie gets run and he just stands there.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
**** those guys. Locker room cancer right there.

I'd have them sit in the minors for the rest of the season if I were GM.

Funny to watch though.

Easy solution, vote with your wallet and don't show up, don't watch the games, don't buy merchandise. I wouldn't give that dumpster fire a single penny of my money. From top to bottom a total insult to every fan that supports them, I wouldn't.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Damn that's a bad look. It's just one thing after another with that franchise.

But truthfully that's how people talk in all work places. It's just fascinating to hear because it's so candid and we're used to seeing NHL players being so buttoned up.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Duchene doesn't surprise me one bit. Dude is as soft as they come. Always going to be a loser.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
If I were coaching them I'd bag skate them hard in practice while yelling hows that for changing things up.

Not paying attention in meetings? Holy shit grow up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Uber driver is probably like "Yeah, this is definitely going up on YT later. Make sure to hit that subscribe button. " :laugh:

Reactions: kingscups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad