Around the League 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Why are you being such a bleeding heart about owners? I swear it just sounds like you hate the players. The owners obviously don't care that much about signing bonuses, signing bonuses don't have any affect on us as fans, and it doesn't change how much total a team pays in revenue to it's players. There is still a 50% split, whether in the form of signing bonuses or not. I honestly do not get why people are so worried about those poor owners in this situation.
They aren't poor owners. I am not a bleeding heart for the owners, I am simply pointing out what their motivation may be in certain situations.

For example, and owner of any business would rather cut their losses than continue to invest in an asset, when there is a cheaper asset that will perform better in their portfolio. As the owner of the portfolio, a person should be able to cut the under performing asset lose.

Why are you such a bleeding heart for the players?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
They aren't poor owners. I am not a bleeding heart for the owners, I am simply pointing out what their motivation may be in certain situations.

For example, and owner of any business would rather cut their losses than continue to invest in an asset, when there is a cheaper asset that will perform better in their portfolio. As the owner of the portfolio, a person should be able to cut the under performing asset lose.

Why are you such a bleeding heart for the players?

But, it is not their motivation though or at least not a big enough motivation to lockout the league. The ownership is actually pushing for a 3 year extension currently, so your hypothetical scenario of them losing money over signing bonuses or upset over guaranteed contracts is obviously more concerning for you than them.

I am not a bleeding heart for anyone, the team and it's players enter into contractual agreements and they both seem fairly happy with the current arrangement, thus them not having a labor stoppage. You seem to be the one overly concerned about this situation and I just don't understand why.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I can’t think of many NHL owners whose main source of income is owning a hockey franchise. These billionaires own teams for the clout and status, and if they make an extra buck, great.

There’s also this thing called revenue sharing that exists to help these poor owners who can’t afford signing bonuses. They can also setup a Gofundme fundraiser to raise funds to pay bonuses for those greedy, blood thirsty players.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Have you heard of an issue where a small market team couldn't afford a contract because of signing bonuses?

No, but MTL heavily frontloaded the Aho offer sheet thinking that would be a poison pill for CAR. Guess they forgot Dundon has both an ego the size of the state AND deep pockets :laugh:

I do think the advantage exists and can be exploited though even if it hasn't yet. What if someone did that to Keller in AZ?

On the other hand, even with a cap system, I DO think teams ready, willing, and able to spend deserve SOME advantages, as opposed to budget teams exploiting the cost certainty of the cap world, out of need or not.

I can’t think of many NHL owners whose main source of income is owning a hockey franchise. These billionaires own teams for the clout and status, and if they make an extra buck, great.

There’s also this thing called revenue sharing that exists to help these poor owners who can’t afford signing bonuses. They can also setup a Gofundme fundraiser to raise funds to pay bonuses for those greedy, blood thirsty players.

Pretty much. It's literally a hobby/game to them. Sure some are more competitive but so long as they mostly break even on the squad they DGAF. Besides, it's all creative accounting, like when the Kings were sobbing over losing millions on the 'team' while getting everything from like 10 square miles of parking/conessions/merch/other entertainment on top of what i have to assume are some tax benefits/kickbacks.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What the hell is going on in Winnipeg? Does the whole team hate the coach and captain?
What the hell is going on in Winnipeg?

093daa010ce04c316b1e54c466e723d391c87fd287b1f0803e12f422a11615e5-750.jpg

tracy-eyolfson-winnipeg-new.jpg

NEP5253616.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: riznat

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Still doesn't mean most of them don't look at it as a business. Owners in Chicago, Boston, even AEG were pretty hard line when it came to CBA negotiations.

The players are extremely well paid for their services. Can you think of another business where the employees get 50% of the gross revenue?

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe

He should have let them know sooner. With him 'contemplating' ,they have no right handed D, should be giving Carolina a call about Faulk\

But he should have given the more time and a couple weeks before the opener.

He may have told them earlier, who knows.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

He should have let them know sooner. With him 'contemplating' ,they have no right handed D, should be giving Carolina a call about Faulk\

But he should have given the more time and a couple weeks before the opener.

I bet they would have liked to know about this before moving trouba, ooops

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Still doesn't mean most of them don't look at it as a business. Owners in Chicago, Boston, even AEG were pretty hard line when it came to CBA negotiations.

The players are extremely well paid for their services. Can you think of another business where the employees get 50% of the gross revenue?
Not all businesses are the same. Consumers don't buy hamburgers from McDonald's because they like employees.

People buy NHL tickets and merch largely because of the players. The players are part of the product that the league produces. Surely you can see that.

NBA players get 51% of revenues, BTW.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Jets have beaucoup problems...

Laine and Connor as hold outs

Lost Trouba, Myers and Buff on D.

There top RD is Neal Pionk.

The avenue is clear for Blake to make a Laine for Doughty trade.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not all businesses are the same. Consumers don't buy hamburgers from McDonald's because they like employees.

People buy NHL tickets and merch largely because of the players. The players are part of the product that the league produces. Surely you can see that.

NBA players get 51% of revenues, BTW.
Yes, I can see that. It's why the players get 50%.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What the hell is going on in Winnipeg?

093daa010ce04c316b1e54c466e723d391c87fd287b1f0803e12f422a11615e5-750.jpg

tracy-eyolfson-winnipeg-new.jpg

NEP5253616.jpg

NHL Rumours: Winnipeg Jets, Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche

Rumour: According to a recent article (the article is written in Finnish. Will need translation) written by Finnish sports writer Pekka Jalonen, Patrik Laine is disgruntled about his playing time and linemates in Winnipeg. Jalonen states that according to Laine, he would be playing on the team’s top line anywhere else. However, in Winnipeg, he is on the second line with a rotating group of players.

And he won't be on the top line, as the article points out, Wheeler and Scheifele aren't going to be broken up, but giving Laine stability with a proven 2nd line center would help.

Other issue is $$, Laine felt the Jets offer (rumored at under 6M per ) was not high enough.

NHL Rumors - ProHockeyRumors.com

Avs haven't inked Rantanen yet , both are practicing with Bern (Swiss) and have the same agent.

In fact, their agent Mike Liut joined Sportsnet radio this morning and talked about the negotiations, bluntly stating that they’re “not close” on either player.

Rantanen has 171 pts in his last 2 seasons, and is IMO an elite player. His agent is using Marner (pts and other areas) as a comparable.

Reactions: KINGS17

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

Rumour: According to a recent article (the article is written in Finnish. Will need translation) written by Finnish sports writer Pekka Jalonen, Patrik Laine is disgruntled about his playing time and linemates in Winnipeg. Jalonen states that according to Laine, he would be playing on the team’s top line anywhere else. However, in Winnipeg, he is on the second line with a rotating group of players.

And he won't be on the top line, as the article points out, Wheeler and Scheifele aren't going to be broken up, but giving Laine stability with a proven 2nd line center would help.

Other issue is $$, Laine felt the Jets offer (rumored at under 6M per ) was not high enough.

Avs haven't inked Rantanen yet , both are practicing with Bern (Swiss) and have the same agent.

In fact, their agent Mike Liut joined Sportsnet radio this morning and talked about the negotiations, bluntly stating that they’re “not close” on either player.

Rantanen has 171 pts in his last 2 seasons, and is IMO an elite player. His agent is using Marner (pts and other areas) as a comparable.

Rantanen is elite. He should get Marner money. Anything less than 9 would be great for a long-term deal.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Laine sounds like a player Winnipeg should trade.

The Avs are in a bit of a bind though with Rantanen, because he is probably worthy of something better than a bridge deal.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I bet they would have liked to know about this before moving trouba, ooops

Don't think it would've mattered with Trouba. He's wanted out for years, plus his wife's career was part of the equation. There's a reason all they got back was Pionk. It was basically NY or nothing.

The Jets have beaucoup problems...

Laine and Connor as hold outs

Lost Trouba, Myers and Buff on D.

There top RD is Neal Pionk.

The avenue is clear for Blake to make a Laine for Doughty trade.

I'm going to doubt Doughty would want to go to Winnipeg. If the hockey team isn't even going to be a contender, he'd want to go there that much less than not at all.

Just goes to show, you have to win when you get the chance. 18 months ago, the Jets were riding high. Everyone knew the cap crunch was coming, but some of these other details pop up and bite you. It's like Voynov. Sure, the Kings weren't going to win forever, but nobody saw that one coming. That one hole in the roster quickly ballooned into the last 5 years. The Jets don't win in 2018, and now Wheeler is 33 and in the first year of a new contract where he got a significant raise, Byfuglien 34 and contemplating retirement in September, and even Scheifele will somehow be 27 in March. Statistically, he should now be getting on the down side of his production curve. How many more years in a row can he average a point per game? Now, if he was in SJ, he would never age, or see much of a decrease in production as he doesn't age with time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If the tabloid is even partially correct, Laine isn't going to want to play for the Kings which are not on the cusp of contending or anything. We're in a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad