Around the League 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Isn't what's going on in Winnipeg similar to what happened the first time around? It's going to be bad if attendance drops off this season at a large chunk.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
A couple former Kings blueline prospects on waivers...

Fredrik Claesson has been placed on waivers by Carolina.

The Hurricanes also waived Kyle Wood, Alex Lintuniemi, Roland McKeown and Brian Gibbons on Monday. Claesson signed a two-way contract with Carolina after he started training camp with the team on a PTO.
Source: Stephen Whyno on Twitter

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
can't believe Point came in less than $7m on a 3 year deal.

Truly killer 'show me' deal for Point.

WOnderful bridge deal. He'll still be an RFA when it's up, too, which is good for Point because he'll be able to negotiate his next big deal, good for club because still relatively cost controlled without the distraction/leverage of UFA>

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Point (23 Years Old):
16/17 68gp 18g 22a 40pts
17/18 82gp 32g 34a 66pts
18/19 79gp 41g 51a 92pts

Playoffs: 21gp 8g 9a 17pts

Marner (22 Years Old):
16/17 77gp 19g 42a 61pts
17/18 82gp 22g 47a 69pts
18/19 82gp 26g 68a 94pts

Playoffs: 20gp 5g 12a 17pts

That's about as close as two comps can get, but Marner gets 10.89M and Point gets 6.75M.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto is probably the most expensive city to play for in terms of taxes.

According to this article Kevin Lowry who plays for the Toronto Raptors get paid 28.7M per season, but only takes home 12M (42%).

James Harden who plays in Texas (no state income tax) gets paid 28.3M and takes home 15.1M (53.5%).

If we're to assume Marner and Point pay similar tax rates to their NBA counterparts, than Marner's take home would be 4.57M, and Point's take home would be 3.6M.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

According to this article Kevin Lowry who plays for the Toronto Raptors get paid 28.7M per season, but only takes home 12M (42%).

James Harden who plays in Texas (no state income tax) gets paid 28.3M and takes home 15.1M (53.5%).

If we're to assume Marner and Point pay similar tax rates to their NBA counterparts, than Marner's take home would be 4.57M, and Point's take home would be 3.6M.
Capfriendly has an income tax calculator.
upload_2019-9-23_16-21-31.png

Not sure how cleat the above is on Point but he would pocket about $727k less a year in Toronto than Tampa and $656k less in LA.

it is a great tool

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018

This article is irrelevant to the Mitch Marner situation.

NBA has restrictions that do not applies to NHL players.
Capfriendly has an income tax calculator.
View attachment 256833

Not sure how cleat the above is on Point but he would pocket about $727k less a year in Toronto than Tampa and $656k less in LA.

it is a great tool

This is not a great tool to compare the difference in salary a player would pocket if he was either in Toronto or Tampa Bay.

Players in Toronto, and rich people for that matter, have numerous ways of going around the tax issues and avoid paying the amount this calculator is referring to.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
And what would those restrictions be?

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes

« Sports agents have long bemoaned the tax rates that high-salaried Canadian-based athletes face. For example, Ontario’s top individual tax rate is 53.3 per cent, the highest among all NHL locales.

But wealthy people have tools that can tamp down the effects of those tax rates.

Financial advisers recommend their high-income clients, such as professional athletes, use a vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA) to help offset high income taxes. In basic terms, an RCA allows an individual to sock away up to half of their salary each year and delay accessing it until retirement, when the individual may well be living somewhere else and paying a far lower tax rate.

Mr. Parry has put RCAs to work for numerous pro hockey players among the Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.

He has also tried to put them in place for Toronto Raptors basketball players, but the National Basketball Association’s collective bargaining agreement bans the practice. The NBA felt the implementation of RCAs gave the Raptors, the sole franchise outside the United States, “an unfair advantage,” according to Mr. Parry. »

Reactions: KINGS17

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
To be fair, there are a lot of articles online about tax differences in sport markets and their influences on contracts.

Unfortunately for us, most of those sensationalists articles are simplistic and inaccurate.

There are a lot of ways for players and rich people to get tax breaks, and calculating salary is not as easy as making counting the difference between different state taxes %.

Here is another example in this Forbes article with John Tavares and how he could save money with taxes in Toronto :

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Hope that can shed some light on the subject. ✌️

Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Knew it was only a matter of time before the Leaf sense was tingling and someone came over to tell every forum why the Marner contract is actually good and Point isn't a big deal

(that was actually really informational though)

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Knew it was only a matter of time before the Leaf sense was tingling and someone came over to tell every forum why the Marner contract is actually good and Point isn't a big deal

(that was actually really informational though)

I’m actually a Bolts fan explaining how the taxes advantages people claim Tampa Bay has over Toronto are not as important as people made them out to be.
They are not the main reason why Tampa gets great contracts as opposed to other teams.

I’ve been lurking on LA’s forum and a few others in preparation of my Dynasty League season, as I have a lot of Kings prospects in my pool.

I also have a soft sport for LA as I’ve been a Lakers fan since I was a kid.

And for the record, I think Marner’s
contract is atrocious lol.

I’m happy if the informations were appreciated.

Cheers

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m actually a Bolts fan explaining how the taxes advantages people claim Tampa Bay has over Toronto are not as important as people made them out to be.
They are not the main reason why Tampa gets great contracts as opposed to other teams.

I’ve been lurking on LA’s forum and a few others in preparation of my Dynasty League season, as I have a lot of Kings prospects in my pool.

I also have a soft sport for LA as I’ve been a Lakers fan since I was a kid.

And for the record, I think Marner’s
contract is atrocious lol.

I’m happy if the informations were appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry for the faulty assumption. Too used to getting visitors within three posts of saying "Marner," "Dubas," or any permutation of "leaf." :laugh:

It's like saying Beetlejuice.

Reactions: Max McBolt

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This article is irrelevant to the Mitch Marner situation.

NBA has restrictions that do not applies to NHL players.

This is not a great tool to compare the difference in salary a player would pocket if he was either in Toronto or Tampa Bay.

Players in Toronto, and rich people for that matter, have numerous ways of going around the tax issues and avoid paying the amount this calculator is referring to.

fully agree that there are loopholes to avoid tax, however I disagree and I really like this tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad