Around the League 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I just don't see how such a minimal issue for teams is worth losing a couple of seasons in a protracted labor battle. Especially because unless you explicitly outlaw guarantee language in contracts, then the very players able to command the big contracts people complain about are also going to be the ones able to command guarantees. Eriksson is the current example mentioned and as a UFA who signed for nearly 6 million there was obviously interest for him and consequently he would have worked out guarantee language in his contract. Just like the NFL, where players like Cousins, Gurley, and Bell all have a majority of their contract guaranteed and basically can not be cut.
That's why the years a contract can be guaranteed would be limited by the CBA. Either that or just make the max contract length 4 or 5 seasons, and live with the current system.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
That's why the years a contract can be guaranteed would be limited by the CBA. Either that or just make the max contract length 4 or 5 seasons, and live with the current system.

Eriksson signed a 6 year 36 million dollar contract, of that contract 28 million is in signing bonuses.
If you eliminated the 6th year from Erikssons contract you would have a 5 year deal worth 32 million and 27 million of that in signing bonuses.

So, basically even with 5 year contract limits and non guaranteed contracts, you would only be able to get out of paying Eriksson a maximum of 4 million if you cut him following his first season. I don't think he is a good example to use for non guaranteed contracts, because he shows that unless you basically make signing bonuses illegal non guaranteed contracts will not have the effect you think they will.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
i could have sworn toronto fans said that marner, matthews, and nylander were all going to sign team-friendly deals so the gang could win a decade of cups together, and that our dumb dumb gms signed guys to player-friendly deals because of their tiny brains

Every fan base (including this one) thinks their players are going to give hometown discounts, there was a debate here on if Kopitar would sign for 8 or less. People in Chicago thought Toews would give one, nope, both got every dime they could.

They will probably have a 3-4 year window to win, just like the Kings did when they went all-in. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Bob McKenzie and TSN's top 10 for the 2020 draft.
https://www.tsn.ca/lafreniere-leads-loaded-class-in-tsn-hockey-s-pre-season-draft-ranking-1.1364438

`Clear cut #1 is LW Alexis Lafreniere who has size, skill, vision, playmaking, ability and most of the other tools

I love a player like this:

Many scouts agree that Lafreniere doesn’t necessarily possess elite skill in any single category but is very good to great in so many of them that the total package simply can’t miss.

Getting 5 of the 10 #2 votes is 6'4 , 215 lb center Quinton Byfield

#6 goes to a goalie, which is pretty rare

Yaroslav Askarov: The 6-foot-3 Russian has been billed as the second coming of Carey Price and even though there’s great hesitation to take a goaltender in the top 10, or even the top five of the draft, the sky could be the limit for this guy

Only 2 defensemen in the top 10 (8 and 10)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Signing bonus bullshit is another thing we need to get rid of in the next CBA. Something like no more than 50% of the AAV can be paid out in signing bonuses.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
What exactly is your problem with signing bonuses? How in the world does that effect fans in any way?

It’s a way for big market teams to lure UFAs. If we’re going to pretend we’re a league of parity, signing bonuses need to be reined in a little bit, in my opinion. A lot of small market teams can’t afford huge signing bonuses paid all on one day.

Reactions: KINGS17

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It’s a way for big market teams to lure UFAs. If we’re going to pretend we’re a league of parity, signing bonuses need to be reined in a little bit, in my opinion. A lot of small market teams can’t afford huge signing bonuses paid all on one day.
it really f***s the buyout procedure too, i do think it needs to be toned down a fair bit

maybe a percentage cap or something

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
Kubalik with 2 goals in his preseason debut, the second with a rocket. I’m still pissed off we weren’t able to sign him, while the Hawks did.

We are going to regret this big time, dude is a gem

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Kubalik with 2 goals in his preseason debut, the second with a rocket. I’m still pissed off we weren’t able to sign him, while the Hawks did.

We are going to regret this big time, dude is a gem

He looked head and shoulders above the rest. The play by play guys were gushing all night.

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
He looked head and shoulders above the rest. The play by play guys were gushing all night.
I watched him play 2 seasons in Switzerland and he was NHL ready already 1 year ago. With the bunch of crap we have as top6ers, I’m really wondering why we could not find a way to seal a deal with him. And on top of this, he ends up in Chicago.

f***

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Sounds like those owners shouldn't be in this business.
Nah, some owners just have a different idea of fiscal responsibility. They don't steal cash from one operation to support another operation which is essentially a hobby. Owners have a responsibility to expect a return on their investment and positive cash flow. The only time an owner should see negative cash flow is when he/she is making a major investment that will pay off in a big way down the line. For example, building a new arena or stadium.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He wanted a one way deal, the Kings didn’t meet his request. He’s making 900k in Chicago, not 5 milion

It's more semantics, but Kubalik had to sign a two way deal (which he did with Chicago) as per CBA rules. Seemed more like Kubalik wanted assurances that that he'd be kept in the NHL and/or he saw more open roster spots in Chicago.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Nah, some owners just have a different idea of fiscal responsibility. They don't steal cash from one operation to support another operation which is essentially a hobby. Owners have a responsibility to expect a return on their investment and positive cash flow. The only time an owner should see negative cash flow is when he/she is making a major investment that will pay off in a big way down the line. For example, building a new arena or stadium.

Why are you being such a bleeding heart about owners? I swear it just sounds like you hate the players. The owners obviously don't care that much about signing bonuses, signing bonuses don't have any affect on us as fans, and it doesn't change how much total a team pays in revenue to it's players. There is still a 50% split, whether in the form of signing bonuses or not. I honestly do not get why people are so worried about those poor owners in this situation.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Have you heard of an issue where a small market team couldn't afford a contract because of signing bonuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce