Around the League 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Doughty just had a terrible season (by his standards) where he wasn't one of the better d-man in the NHL. So I just have a hard time believing that he will age like some of the people being suggested here. I think the same rules apply to DD that should apply to everyone, it's just very rarely a good idea to commit that much money to players well into their 30's.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty just had a terrible season (by his standards) where he wasn't one of the better d-man in the NHL. So I just have a hard time believing that he will age like some of the people being suggested here. I think the same rules apply to DD that should apply to everyone, it's just very rarely a good idea to commit that much money to players well into their 30's.

He gets a benefit of a doubt from me because 1. it's literally the first time in his career and 2. his game is based on his brain rather than immense physical gifts.

A guy having a bad season in his late 20s isn't a harbinger that you should dump someone and it's not big money to star players that's crippling franchises, it's the overpaid middle class.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Doughty vs EK is starting to feel like Borque vs Coffey to me. Drew seems like our version of Ray Borque. He is great at all facets of the game, logs major minutes for full seasons and is just a natural athlete who ages well.

In that same sense, Drew always reminded me of Scott Niedermayer (with a personality). I probably spent too much time in the old days of HF defending Niedermayer, especially when he was one of the first eight guys named to the 2002 Canadian Olympic team. Vaguely recall one guy telling me that Sandis Ozolinsh was better than Niedermayer.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Dominik Kubalik has signed a one-year contract worth $925,000.

Kubalik is expected to compete for a roster spot with the Blackhawks going into the 2019-20 season. He registered 25 goals and 57 points in 50 games with HC Ambri-Piotta of Switzerland's NLA in 2018-19. The 23-year-old also had a strong showing at the recently-completed IIHF World Championship. Kubalik recorded six goals and 12 points in 10 matches for the Czech Republic at the tournament. He is worth keeping an eye on at training camp.

Source: Chicago Blackhawks on Twitter

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
In that same sense, Drew always reminded me of Scott Niedermayer (with a personality). I probably spent too much time in the old days of HF defending Niedermayer, especially when he was one of the first eight guys named to the 2002 Canadian Olympic team. Vaguely recall one guy telling me that Sandis Ozolinsh was better than Niedermayer.
You're kidding right:huh:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
is that really feasible?

palm springs is pretty out there, at least boise is a sort of city

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, Palm Springs only has a population of around 50,000. Maybe it's more in the winter though.

Lotta tourism traffic/snowbirds, for sure, including many Canadian transplants. But I think it would be a gimmick. Not that there hasn't been hockey out in the desert, played many games there when younger, just not sure about sustainable demand, but hey, if they could get some love from the Kings org like the Reign and some IE facilities have, let's have at it

The city itself is also undergoing a bit of a resurgence so building an arena might be of interest

Reactions: KINGS17

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yeah, Palm Springs only has a population of around 50,000. Maybe it's more in the winter though.

There's a population of Canadian snowbirds with property in the desert that come down in the winter. Once you add surrounding desert cities like Palm Desert, Cathedral City, La Quinta, Indio, Rancho Mirage, and Thousand Palms, you're looking at over 300,000 people. And you're potentially 30 minutes from Morongo, which may be a factor.

Reactions: KINGS17

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
ran a shop out there on and off for the last 12 years and there is more like 435 thousand once everyone comes back including a hefty segment from Seattle and areas surrounding it. Would make for interesting home/home type hype and the season starts just as they come back into town and ends right before the season ends where they would be back home for the playoffs . just have to remember what JKC said in a interview after a few years here with his kings , paraphrasing here , he did his research and found out there was 250,000 Canadiens living within 25 miles of the forum but after suffering with low attendance he figured out they left Canada because they hated hockey lol

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
He gets a benefit of a doubt from me because 1. it's literally the first time in his career and 2. his game is based on his brain rather than immense physical gifts.

A guy having a bad season in his late 20s isn't a harbinger that you should dump someone and it's not big money to star players that's crippling franchises, it's the overpaid middle class.

I tend to side with the crowd who rightfully criticizes signing players well into their late 30s. But I do agree that Doughty will age better than others.

Carter always relied on his speed and shot. Richards relied on outworking his opponents. Etc. These are all advantages that rely on prime physical conditioning and strength.

Doughty’s skating has always been a major asset, so that will likely diminish as he ages. But he’s always been a high IQ player. That should stay with him for a while.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
This is another factor that could play into the Kings drafting Byram. If he can get to the league within 1-2 years, he could extend Doughty's effectiveness and be a great support player. His game has been compared to Doughty in some ways so there would be no better vet to learn from in that regard.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad