Around the League 2018-19 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
f*** it I'm going to say it. Matthews is absolutely a top 10 player in the league. 9 goals in 5 games. 12 points in 5 games.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Curious to know if leaf fans are slightly worried at what either Matthews or Marnier will want in the off season

Leafs fans are not worried. Matthews will get his obligatory 10-11 million and will be worth every penny, he won't be getting more than McDavid unless he puts up 100+ points and even if he does it'll likely be the same 12.5 mill. But I doubt that. Matthews is a franchise #1 centre who is also clearly a generational goal scoring stud, he will be paid like one.

Marner should be coming in at around 8 million.

Personally I'm all for attempting to move Nylander for help on the defence, Kapanen has more than proved in the early going that he can replace him on the top line on Matthews wing. The new "Big 3" is IMO moving forward Tavares, Matthews, Marner.

Tavares - 11 million
Matthews - 10-11 million
Marner - 8 million

Big 3 at combined 29-30 million. Certainly doable.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Leafs fans are not worried. Matthews will get his obligatory 10-11 million and will be worth every penny, he won't be getting more than McDavid unless he puts up 100+ points and even if he does it'll likely be the same 12.5 mill. But I doubt that. Matthews is a franchise #1 centre who is also clearly a generational goal scoring stud, he will be paid like one.

Personally I'm all for attempting to move Nylander for help on the defence, Kapanen has more than proved in the early going that he can replace him on the top line on Matthews wing. The new "Big 3" is IMO moving forward Tavares, Matthews, Marner.

Tavares - 11 million
Matthews - 10-11 million
Marner - 8 million

Yeah, I honestly don't see why Nylander is part of it. Best move is to trade for a good defenceman and go on a cup run before he gets paid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Tavares - 11 million
Matthews - 10-11 million
Marner - 8 million

Matthews is not taking 10, even 11 is probably flying out the window. Freaking Eichel is making 10 when the cap was lower.

I think Marner starts at 8.5 too.

12-13 for Matthews and 8.8 for Marner are my guesses.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews is not taking 10, even 11 is probably flying out the window. Freaking Eichel is making 10 when the cap was lower.

I think Marner starts at 8.5 too.

12-13 for Matthews and 8.8 for Marner are my guesses.

All that means is 'Bye Bye Connor Brown and Zach Hyman' when they come up for extension.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I want them to keep telling Matthews he’s on par with McDavid or better. Keep raising his price tag and Marner’s as well in relation to Matthews.

That's what the media does here. Team is looking good so they have to create drama and 'mess it up' any way they can.

All that means is 'Bye Bye Connor Brown and Zach Hyman' when they come up for extension.

Brown isn't great. Can be replaced internally easily. Hyman has two more years after this. His pay raise won't be that much.

And Gardiner and probably Kapanen too. They probably will have to go.

Gardiner maybe. Kapanen is going to be getting bottom six minutes with no PP time once Nylander is back. He'll get a couple years at under 2m.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Tavares - 11 million
Matthews - 10-11 million
Marner - 8 million

the more Matthews scores the more he will get

you are looking at McDavid money for Matthews

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
And Gardiner and probably Kapanen too. They probably will have to go.

Gardiner, for sure.

Kapanen is an RFA and his absolute ceiling for points this year is probably 35-40 just because there's no room for him on the PP. He's getting a 3 year bridge deal at $2 million.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Tavares - 11 million
Matthews - 10-11 million
Marner - 8 million

If you think Matthews will get less than McDavid, you are delusional. It isn't about how many points he gets, it's the simple fact that he will want a percentage of the cap that McDavid got in percentage. No way he will get less than Tavares. He will want more.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If you think Matthews will get less than McDavid, you are delusional. It isn't about how many points he gets, it's the simple fact that he will want a percentage of the cap that McDavid got in percentage. No way he will get less than Tavares. He will want more.
He told you this? Cool

Matthews can only ask for that kind of money if he has a McDavid esque season point total wise, and if he does, the Leafs will have no problem giving that contract to him.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
mcdavid has won 2 lindsey, 2 art ross, and a hart trophy. matthews wont get the same money imo. definitely north of an eichel but unless he scores 75 goals hes not getting 13m. 11.5 - 12 i could see though.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
mcdavid has won 2 lindsey, 2 art ross, and a hart trophy. matthews wont get the same money imo. definitely north of an eichel but unless he scores 75 goals hes not getting 13m. 11.5 - 12 i could see though.

McDavid signed that deal after 1 art ross, and there will have been 2 good cap increases since he signed it. Matthews also makes the leafs much more money in marketing because of the larger market which is totally valid for a player to bring up negotiating. If Matthews goes to RFA, he likely will also be able to lay offersheets on the table that his agent has been sent from other teams. Doesn't have to sign them for them to be a negotiating tool. If he scores 50+ there will definitely be offers coming in.

I dunno, if Matthews wants to get paid what is possible for him to be paid, he could still get the 12.5M and possibly more depending on how much the cap is about to go up.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
McDavid signed that deal after 1 art ross, and there will have been 2 good cap increases since he signed it. Matthews also makes the leafs much more money in marketing because of the larger market which is totally valid for a player to bring up negotiating. If Matthews goes to RFA, he likely will also be able to lay offersheets on the table that his agent has been sent from other teams. Doesn't have to sign them for them to be a negotiating tool. If he scores 50+ there will definitely be offers coming in.

I dunno, if Matthews wants to get paid what is possible for him to be paid, he could still get the 12.5M and possibly more depending on how much the cap is about to go up.
i mean if he can bring up the fact he makes the team money, the team could also bring up being a leaf gives him more sponsorship dollars too. i just dont see the same cap %. time will tell. in reality though, mcdavid does everything in EDM effectively on his own(sorry not trying to make a disparaging remark)if matthews gets 60 goals this year it will be because i think he gets 20 or more on that stacked PP. i just dont see the argument for the same dollars given he hasnt had any major awards besides the calder and hasnt broken even 80 points yet. he really could beast all year long though, then all bets are off.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
i mean if he can bring up the fact he makes the team money, the team could also bring up being a leaf gives him more sponsorship dollars too. i just dont see the same cap %. time will tell. in reality though, mcdavid does everything in EDM effectively on his own(sorry not trying to make a disparaging remark)if matthews gets 60 goals this year it will be because i think he gets 20 or more on that stacked PP. i just dont see the argument for the same dollars given he hasnt had any major awards besides the calder and hasnt broken even 80 points yet. he really could beast all year long though, then all bets are off.

No offense taken. The oilers are undeniably 100% McDavid right now. Bad mangement and bad coaching are conspiring against him right now to have him on an island until there are some sweeping changes in this org. To McDavid's credit though, if he waited 1 more year, he likely would have had a 15M AAV offersheet on his desk and had a better idea of what a disaster was forming around him, and he decided not to go there. Thank goodness he didn't do that.

It's a different situation for sure. It's up to Matthews' agent to try to paint a picture like Matthews is the driving force behind his own production. I can definitely see him scoring 50+ this year and over PPG. It's up to the leafs to try to talk that down and bring up the support cast helping ease the ice time and his ability to produce. It's somewhere in the middle of course. And you never know what motivates a player. Some guys will do the discount to win, some have their pride in terms of waiting to be paid what they are truly worth. Next summer will be very interesting for the leafs without a doubt.

Reactions: RegDunlop

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
No offense taken. The oilers are undeniably 100% McDavid right now. Bad mangement and bad coaching are conspiring against him right now to have him on an island until there are some sweeping changes in this org. To McDavid's credit though, if he waited 1 more year, he likely would have had a 15M AAV offersheet on his desk and had a better idea of what a disaster was forming around him, and he decided not to go there. Thank goodness he didn't do that.

It's a different situation for sure. It's up to Matthews' agent to try to paint a picture like Matthews is the driving force behind his own production. I can definitely see him scoring 50+ this year and over PPG. It's up to the leafs to try to talk that down and bring up the support cast helping ease the ice time and his ability to produce. It's somewhere in the middle of course. And you never know what motivates a player. Some guys will do the discount to win, some have their pride in terms of waiting to be paid what they are truly worth. Next summer will be very interesting for the leafs without a doubt.
ye should be interesting, to me the nylander stalemate has more to do with matty and marner than nylander himself. dubas knows he's gonna have to play hardball. so many leafs fans are now on the "trade nylander, he's selfish" train, but he cant and wont be traded because of the message it sends to matthews and marner next year. hold out and you will eventually get your money even if we have to trade you. gonna be an interesting 12 months. good luck to the oilers this year! i dont really cheer for any team when my leafs arent good, but edm being in the playoffs is good for hockey. much better than other teams where their fans couldnt give a tiny rats ass about the team if they are losing :(

Reactions: RegDunlop

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Unlikely, at 85-90 point he won’t be getting McDavid money. It’s more likely he’s given an identical contract as Tavares.

It will depend on this season, a lot. Unless they do take a discount, I don't see Matthews + Marner signed at less than $20 mil together. That's the floor imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad