Around the League 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They added quite a few decent shot suppressors and Lehner has been able to handle the rest of the load. Tavares is a good player on the offensive side of the puck but not so much the defensive side.

But who did those shot suppressors replace? Other than JT leaving, I really don't think there was much significance to the roster changes. Add a little here, subtract a little there. They also lost CDH.

The goaltending was certainly a strong point with both goalies playing very well. Might that have been influenced by better play in front of them?

I'll stick with the coach.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But who did those shot suppressors replace? Other than JT leaving, I really don't think there was much significance to the roster changes. Add a little here, subtract a little there. They also lost CDH.

The goaltending was certainly a strong point with both goalies playing very well. Might that have been influenced by better play in front of them?

I'll stick with the coach.

Trotz is definitely more of a defensive minded coach. But I don't think he gets the same results out of the 17/18 Isles as he does this seasons Isles. He's always been about shot suppression and puck retrieval. I do give Trotz credit though in the way he is able to get through to players. They respect him and he gets them to play a team game, it doesn't always lead to victory. The guy has only ever been to one Stanley Cup final in his entire 15 year NHL coaching career. But it usually leads to the playoffs.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
D44bbSaW0AA_87b.jpg

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I fully expected to see Vegas onto round 2 this morning. Went to bed it was 3-0 Vegas.

Happy that the Sharks won but that was not a major penalty. But karma Knights. Karma.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Lol I love how the Knights first bad call ever and now all the media and the Knights are crying for a overhaul of the rules and to put in video review of all major penalties. Jeeze that blown call would have just been another week for the jets.

I watched the out come, ive never been happier about seeing another team lose. After all the slimy crap they pulled on us last year during the playoffs from shutting off the lights to throwing our fan made signs into the garbage including Canadian flags, taping off the ice so we couldnt practice with police tape. Karma baby her name is Karma and man her vengence is brutal.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
How does Vegas rank in all time game 7 meltdowns, top 5? Above or below Toronto/Boston a few years back?

Given the fact that this is the first time in NHL history that a team gave up 4 goals on one 5 minute power play in the playoffs... and still managed to tie it up to get it to O.T., just to still lose the game... and it being a game 7 .... It's epic. It's gotta be #1.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lol I love how the Knights first bad call ever and now all the media and the Knights are crying for a overhaul of the rules and to put in video review of all major penalties. Jeeze that blown call would have just been another week for the jets.

I watched the out come, ive never been happier about seeing another team lose. After all the slimy crap they pulled on us last year during the playoffs from shutting off the lights to throwing our fan made signs into the garbage including Canadian flags, taping off the ice so we couldnt practice with police tape. Karma baby her name is Karma and man her vengence is brutal.
I fully expect that this situation directly leads to reviews for major penalties. It happened to the wrong team at the wrong time and this situation is definitely not over.

Suckers!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I fully expect that this situation directly leads to reviews for major penalties. It happened to the wrong team at the wrong time and this situation is definitely not over.

Suckers!

Yup... when one of Bettman's favorite franchises gets the short end of the stick, you know changes are coming.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I turned the Sharks Knights game off after the third Vegas goal, I should really stop doing that. I've missed so many good comeback games. Either way I'm so glad that Vegas is out.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I turned the Sharks Knights game off after the third Vegas goal, I should really stop doing that. I've missed so many good comeback games. Either way I'm so glad that Vegas is out.

I had the game on but wasn't paying much attention. Then Eakin got a major. Suddenly, it was 3-1. Then 3-2. And I thought to myself, OK don't sit down and start watching or they'll see me (yes, Romper Room had a lasting effect on me) and the comeback will fall short. So, I did what any self-respecting jinx would do and turned the game off for the betterment of the hockey world. Didn't find out the final score till I got up for my usual 3 am piss. Slept the sleep of the just after that.

And now, a little musical interlude for our friends in Vegas.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know I think the bigger difference for the Isles is adding depth in Filppula, Komarov, Martin, KKunhackle, Toews and a capalbe goalie in Lehner. Tavares being out doesn't seem to hurt them much either.

The Blues turned things around sharply but the talent was always there it just wasn't meshing well. Only a matter of time for them really.

Coaching can make a difference, there's no doubt about it, but the difference between the best coaches and the worst coaches is nowhere near as large as the optics make it seem. Or to quote Don Cherry unironically, "show me a Vezina winner and I'll show you a Jack Adams winner"

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I had the game on but wasn't paying much attention. Then Eakin got a major. Suddenly, it was 3-1. Then 3-2. And I thought to myself, OK don't sit down and start watching or they'll see me (yes, Romper Room had a lasting effect on me) and the comeback will fall short. So, I did what any self-respecting jinx would do and turned the game off for the betterment of the hockey world. Didn't find out the final score till I got up for my usual 3 am piss. Slept the sleep of the just after that.

And now, another musical interlude for our friends in Vegas:

So long,
good luck,
goodbye,
you suck.

(not all lyrics need to be a kanadalanian masterpiece :P )

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And now, another musical interlude for our friends in Vegas:

So long,
good luck,
goodbye,
you suck.

(not all lyrics need to be a kanadalanian masterpiece :P )

The moment I saw this I said to myself.. "She seems like one of those pop punk teenage divas girls that Canada was turning out in the late 2000's like Nashville turns out Country singers."

I was not wrong.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Ok Vegas, like bad penalties are never called.

Shut the **** up and learn to PK next time.

4 goals?!

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Call it a bad penalty all you want, but the expected value of a good penalty kill even on a five minute major isn't even one goal. At the time they got the major, the Sharks had a 1.2% chance to win. The other 98.8%, that's all you :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

With great power, comes great responsibility...

Thought about switching after the 3rd Vegas goal, but was just kind of keeping half an eye on it. Then Pavelski goes down (which I had to rewind to figure out what happened thanks to the slow replay reflexes of NBC Sports). And then I cheered on the Sharks like they were the Jets... :laugh:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The moment I saw this I said to myself.. "She seems like one of those pop punk teenage divas girls that Canada was turning out in the late 2000's like Nashville turns out Country singers."

I was not wrong.

You were, in fact, absolutely correct. "Manufactured anti-establishment pop punk" is still establishment manufacturing all the same :)

Her first hit ("Operator") was even more on-the-nose than this one; most of her work is this generic. The one that really stands out is this one, mostly-positive, still a little strategically bitchy, but still pretty darn good IMO:

But no, by god, you are not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad