Around the League 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure. And then teams would learn how to make better choices :)

Like they have learned to be good at picking goalies? :laugh:

I like the current system. Except for the circumstance of a WC team crossing over, all Divs produce a champion. Then each conference produces a champion. Those 2 play for the cup. As long as the schedule is unbalanced this will remain logical.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I try to tune most of it out. And agreed, it is pretty much always the same across all fan bases.

I try to avoid excessively blaming the coach. I think in our case this year there is a little more substance to it. Because the Jets played the entire season like a poorly coached team, IMO.

Still, I think there is near zero chance of Mau being fired this year. He will need to under-perform at least 1 more time. So the 'fire Mau' talk is really just venting, except for a few who have never liked him.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Found this on the Vegas board. Clearly, the fix was in. :sarcasm:

upload_2019-4-24_10-23-8.png

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Although to be fair Babcock has been a pretty bad coach. He hasn't won a playoff series since 2013. Maurice has more playoff wins then Babcock since 2011. I think he might be the poster child for how little coaching can matter when you have a **** load of talent.

Must kill Tavares that his old team is still in it while hes off to the golf course. But hey.. he went to Toronto to win right? :biglaugh:

The Isles are a testament to how much difference a coach can make. As are the Blues.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Bad call I think. Maybe 2 minutes. Cross check was not high, to the face/neck, or from behind, into boards etc. I do not think intent was to injure; that sort of play happens with a fair amount of regularity with no call.

The end result however, I love! (I mean the score, not the injury)

Reactions: Guardian17

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Isles are a testament to how much difference a coach can make. As are the Blues.

I don't know I think the bigger difference for the Isles is adding depth in Filppula, Komarov, Martin, KKunhackle, Toews and a capalbe goalie in Lehner. Tavares being out doesn't seem to hurt them much either.

The Blues turned things around sharply but the talent was always there it just wasn't meshing well. Only a matter of time for them really.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I completely agree that the call in Vegas was wrong and unfair to Vegas.

That said, f*** 'em. They had so many calls go their way last year in the playoffs and so many more non-calls let go that this is nothing but a heaping, steaming bowl of Karma. Sure, it's sour grapes to say that about the Jets-Vegas series. But everyone noticed it versus the Caps and all of a sudden it stopped when the national media started mentioning it. And it did happen versus the Jets, sour grapes or not.

Neener, neener, neener.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I am so enjoying listening to the Vegas players whine and complain about last night.

The bottom line is you guys had a 3 games to 1 lead.

You just had to win 1 of your last three games!

You had a 3 goal lead with 10 minutes left in the third.

Even with a brutal, unfair, 5 minute call, your penalty killers should not give up 4 goals.

Last season in the first round Josh Morrissey got suspended 1 game for cross checking Staal in the face.

In the WCF, Mark Scheifele got cross checked in the face and was bleeding from a dirty Vegas player, no penalty, no suspension.

Bad calls happen.

Bottom line Vegas is you choked HARD and I am savouring every moment of it!

Couldn't agree more. I've been trying to keep my schadenfreude in check lately, but I will allow myself to enjoy seeing the bitter and salty tears of the Knights and their fanbase.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Okay, I just watched more Vegas post game interviews.

The sense of entitlement is nauseating bordering on Justin Trudeau levels!

You guys had a 3 games to 1 lead and a 3 to 0 lead with 10 minutes left.

You blew it!

Also, I loved how Marc Andre Fleury lost his smile in the handshake line!

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I am so enjoying listening to the Vegas players whine and complain about last night.

The bottom line is you guys had a 3 games to 1 lead.

You just had to win 1 of your last three games!

You had a 3 goal lead with 10 minutes left in the third.

Even with a brutal, unfair, 5 minute call, your penalty killers should not give up 4 goals.

Last season in the first round Josh Morrissey got suspended 1 game for cross checking Staal in the face.

In the WCF, Mark Scheifele got cross checked in the face and was bleeding from a dirty Vegas player, no penalty, no suspension.

Bad calls happen.

Bottom line Vegas is you choked HARD and I am savouring every moment of it!

I can't like this post enough. Well said!

Reactions: Guardian17

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know I think the bigger difference for the Isles is adding depth in Filppula, Komarov, Martin, KKunhackle, Toews and a capalbe goalie in Lehner. Tavares being out doesn't seem to hurt them much either.

The Blues turned things around sharply but the talent was always there it just wasn't meshing well. Only a matter of time for them really.

I'd need to take the time to compare this year's depth with their depth in a few previous years. Funny how Lehner is a good goalie this year after having been the reason for Buffalo's failure in the past - regardless of how well he might have played. Isles goaltending was poor last year but it wasn't their problem for a few years before that.

I don't see a lot of significant change in their roster compared to the last few years, except for the departure of Tavares.

I think it is the coaching change.

I thought Yeo was bad in Minnesota and he was exactly as successful as I expected him to be in StL. I think the time would have been as long as Yeo was there.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
As a Jet fan I take pleasure at last night results of the Leafs and Vegas loss.
Vegas got robbed of the win by the refs call though

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Couldn't agree more. I've been trying to keep my schadenfreude in check lately, but I will allow myself to enjoy seeing the bitter and salty tears of the Knights and their fanbase.

Embrace your schadenfreude. I think it's like love and hate. To truly feel empathy for other people, you must also be able to derive joy from their suffering. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Results achieved
Leafs out
Vegas out

No teams left that I have a particular hate on for. :DD

I have to hate any team that gives Marchand a job. I couldn't cheer for or against either team in that series. Apart from Boston, there is no team left that I give a damn about, one way or another. That really isn't a good thing. Probably won't watch much of the rest.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
T
As a Jet fan I take pleasure at last night results of the Leafs and Vegas loss.
Vegas got robbed of the win by the refs call though

imo they lost because they gave up 4 on the penalty kill. First time that has happened in nhl playoff history. Bad calls go both ways.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd need to take the time to compare this year's depth with their depth in a few previous years. Funny how Lehner is a good goalie this year after having been the reason for Buffalo's failure in the past - regardless of how well he might have played. Isles goaltending was poor last year but it wasn't their problem for a few years before that.

I don't see a lot of significant change in their roster compared to the last few years, except for the departure of Tavares.

I think it is the coaching change.

I thought Yeo was bad in Minnesota and he was exactly as successful as I expected him to be in StL. I think the time would have been as long as Yeo was there.

They added quite a few decent shot suppressors and Lehner has been able to handle the rest of the load. Tavares is a good player on the offensive side of the puck but not so much the defensive side.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I agree, that sholdn't have been a 5 minute major. Give it a double minor and it's fine. They might score 2 goals on it which would be tough enough. But on the other hand, there is NO WAY you're team should be giving up 4 goals in 5 minutes of a 5on4 PP, that is embarrassing for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad