Around the League 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Boston was my team after the Jets left the in the 90’s and the eastern team I still follow . It’s a sweet-sweet feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: jokesondee

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Did you see him throw Frederick Anderson under the bus during his post game presser? Lots of speculation that Babcock will be fired this offseason.
Anderson let in a couple of very weak goals but did anyone see that great pass from Gardiner to the Bruins ? Just awful , makes Myers pizzas look good . :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every game is meaningful. I mean look at the Pens this year. Without the loser point they don't even make the playoffs, same as Colorado. Chicago doesn't even sniff a WC spot either. 90 points would likely be the playoff mark at that point.

It still doesn't make every game meaningful. The problem of less than full effort in the regular season has been around for a very long time. It eliminates playing for the tie, which is a different, but related, issue.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It might have been a bad call in the sense that it maybe shouldn't have been 5 minutes, but the refs have been reffing by severity of outcome forever.

The two exact same hits to a player will result in two different outcomes depending upon the amount of distress the player being hit appears to have received. The refs felt they had to give 5 minutes because of the result, not because of the action.

Regardless, Vegas should be embarrassed by letting in 4 goals on a 5 minute penalty. Hell, if it had been the Jets , the Jets would have been lucky to get 4 shots on a 5 minute man advantage.
Jets were #8 in playoff PP % (ahead of the Sharks before last night's outburst). The Jets were #4 in the NHL in PP % in the regular season. The Jets had a number of flaws last season, but the PP wasn't an important issue.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Reading some other forums and online articles... lots of people wanting an apology from the NHL on what is perceived to be a blown call , like the NFL apologized to the Saints.

Be prepared to wait...People in Buffalo are still waiting for their apology RE: Brett Hull skate in the crease.

Reactions: amethyst

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Those are easily the most craziest playoffs I have experienced since following the NHL actively. I really wonder if there is one person in the hockey world who's playoff-bracket is still intact.

And oh boy... is it fun to read the Leafs "season is over" thread :laugh:
I would've been a lot closer if I Constanza'd my bracket and picked the opposite of what I thought was going to happen...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, I realized this proposal would have more teams out of the running earlier. Still, you gotta hope that having more intense games leading up to the point of mathematical elimination would make up for it. Might get a few more good games as teams try to play spoiler. But really, if you're going to a game between a couple of cellar dwellers, you probably shouldn't have high expectations of seeing playoff style hockey anyway. :laugh:

It isn't just the games between cellar dwellers. It is also games involving .500 teams. We would have 14 teams out by Thanksgiving and 6 more out by Christmas.

There are plenty of games where at least 1 team has something to play for but we still rarely see PO style hockey in the regular season. We are dealing with human nature here. The first game of the season is worth exactly as much as the last, but humans don't perceive it that way. It is far off at the beginning and there are many chances to make up for a bad performance.

You can't manufacture PO intensity. I think the best you can do is create rivalries between teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The worst thing about a bye is that it is actually incentive to not finish first. You would lose up to 4 games of playoff revenue. I like the idea of a financial incentive for winning. Maybe 10% of game ticket revenue goes to the winning organization. In fact, make it 10% per goal difference. Lose by 10 goals, kiss all that money goodbye. Of course, if the players are pissed off at the owner, this might drive the wrong behavior. :nod:

I was thinking of paying the players based on performance. :laugh: Not that it matters. That will never happen.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
tenor.gif

OMG I died and went to Heaven (which it seems has internet access). The Leafs losing was a tasty enough hors d'oeuvre but that Sharks comeback was a Vegas sized all-you-can-eat buffet of karma's a bitch!

That series needs to be made into an HBO original mini-series. Gotta be on cable cause... you know, language. Round up your usual scuzzballs to play the Knights. Maybe Denis Leary as Stastny, Quentin Tarantino as Stone and the irascible Steve Buscemi as The Goat Formerly Known as Cody Eakin.

I guess I'll disappear for a while and go spend some quality time lurking on the Knights board. Treat myself to a heaping helping of Schadenfreude. Oh yeah, almost forgot...

f*** Vegas!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It still doesn't make every game meaningful. The problem of less than full effort in the regular season has been around for a very long time. It eliminates playing for the tie, which is a different, but related, issue.

It's never been done in this league as far as I know. We've always had either a loser point or a tie. But never neither. If the only thing you got was points for a win and nothing for a loss and no chance of a tie. Then you might be more inclined to win some games.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Reading some other forums and online articles... lots of people wanting an apology from the NHL on what is perceived to be a blown call , like the NFL apologized to the Saints.

Be prepared to wait...People in Buffalo are still waiting for their apology RE: Brett Hull skate in the crease.

I'm waiting for some lawyer in Vegas to file an injunction in federal court to have the game results overturned. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's never been done in this league as far as I know. We've always had either a loser point or a tie. But never neither. If the only thing you got was points for a win and nothing for a loss and no chance of a tie. Then you might be more inclined to win some games.

I can't remember if there were always ties or not. Doesn't matter. Your solution would eliminate a problem we used to have, teams/players playing for the tie late in games. The current system much reduced, but did not eliminate that. It would not affect the lack of intensity in the regular season. Those are 2 different issues that exist separately. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a step in the right direction.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can't remember if there were always ties or not. Doesn't matter. Your solution would eliminate a problem we used to have, teams/players playing for the tie late in games. The current system much reduced, but did not eliminate that. It would not affect the lack of intensity in the regular season. Those are 2 different issues that exist separately. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a step in the right direction.

But it wouldn't hurt to try. Teams used to play for the tie, now they play for the point and maybe give it a bit more juice to get that extra one if needed. If there is no loser point then those 10 games you take to overtime actually mean something.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have the answer, though I am nowhere near the first to say it, so I'll make no effort to pretend I'm the brainchild behind it. I'm just the messenger.

Anyways:

Highest seed (either by league or by conference) gets to hand select their first round opponent. Either within the conference only or league wide. But they pick who they play.

Do you pick a team you match up well against? do you pick a rival that you direly want to crush for your fan base's edification? Do you pick a team that seems to have some serious dysergy going on (i.e. perhaps our own Jets)?

Being able to hand-select an opponent would be an advantage manyfold greater than a mere extra home game. And best of all, it's a skill-based edge. I love it when perks are skill based.

And best of all, it will throw any and all ridiculous accusations of "bracket-fixing-by-tanking" right out the window.

I see lots of potential for this to go wrong for teams. :laugh: Bad choices would be very common.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
There's one game left in the first round but let's be honest, last night was such a crowning jewel it's hard for me to think that the first round isn't over.

Although maybe today's game will find a way to top the bill. Somehow.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The loser point seems like the least of the NHL's problems this morning... :laugh:

But really, a bad call costs a team a game/series? Yeah, that's the NHL for ya. Shit happens. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Vegas blow that series and game though. The next-best thing to watching the Jets win is watching Toronto and Vegas lose!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And it's always at the coach. Never the guys on the ice. So and so plays to much. So and so plays to little. We don't have the right lines. They don't give good enough speeches. they don't adjust properly. They adjust to much. They adjust to little. The lines change to much. The lines are to static. Th coach needs more control. The coach needs less control. It's become a comedy among fan bases on here now.

Its nothing new. It is a lot easier to blame 1 coach (or 5) then it is to blame 25 players.

Reactions: Daximus

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But it wouldn't hurt to try. Teams used to play for the tie, now they play for the point and maybe give it a bit more juice to get that extra one if needed. If there is no loser point then those 10 games you take to overtime actually mean something.

I would be OK with eliminating the loser point. I just have zero expectation of it leading to more PO like hockey all season long. It isn't like players put in zero effort all season. Even teams eliminated early try. Or they think they are trying. But PO bring out another level of intensity. That isn't going to change.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I have no problem with that call. When a player's actions result in another player being injured, whether malicious or accidental, a major and a game is warranted. Plus review and possible supplemental punishment. There's just too much disregard for other players' safety and I'm getting tired of the whole "the game is played at high speed and shit happens" defense. Now, maybe Eakin should have gotten a minor and Stastny the major and game for delivering the injuring blow. That was just reckless seeing that Pavelski was already off balance when he gave him that last push downward. And if it takes the eye in the sky to make these calls if they're missed by the on-ice officials, I'm fine with that too. And it's not just because I hate Vegas, although that certainly adds a teaspoon of sugar to my cup of joe. :nod:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am so enjoying listening to the Vegas players whine and complain about last night.

The bottom line is you guys had a 3 games to 1 lead.

You just had to win 1 of your last three games!

You had a 3 goal lead with 10 minutes left in the third.

Even with a brutal, unfair, 5 minute call, your penalty killers should not give up 4 goals.

Last season in the first round Josh Morrissey got suspended 1 game for cross checking Staal in the face.

In the WCF, Mark Scheifele got cross checked in the face and was bleeding from a dirty Vegas player, no penalty, no suspension.

Bad calls happen.

Bottom line Vegas is you choked HARD and I am savouring every moment of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->