Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
YES!!! Head back to Vegas, you bunch of clowns

0A433E72-B76D-4C66-BC06-B04CA9823FD8.jpg

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
It's definitely questionable, but the NHL determines severity of penalties based on whether the player is injured as a result. It doesn't matter where the crosscheck lands. Pavelski doesn't get injured at all if Eakins doesn't crosscheck him and that's really all that matters to me.
I think you and I both know that's a horrible precedent to set and there hasn't been one because of it. We can name a few Buff hits where he only got a minor as someone writhed on the ice in pain. Stralman's hit to Little as he was thrown off balance 3-4 years ago comes to mind as one that wasn't called and there was no call after either. I get it's not apples-to-apples necessarily but you can probably talk to a fan of every fanbase and they should be able to pick one instance for and one instance against - it's terribly inconsistent.

What Eakin did is way more dangerous powering out of a squat with a crosscheck to the head/neck area. He literally sends him airborne with an illegal check. Stick makes first contact with Pavelski’s shield, follow through is a bit lower. Wouldn’t be surprised if Eakin gets another playoff game or a couple regular season games if they lose.
Pavelski was still bringing himself up after a faceoff and Eakin was going to power right through him, illegally with a crosscheck, but through the body. At no point did Eakin's stick go above Pavelski's shoulders, let alone the neck. If Stastny wasn't trying to go through the middle too and instead veered somewhere else, we wouldn't be talking about this play at all because Pavelski likely would've been able to catch himself - instead, Stastny braced for impact and (up to your judgement of whether or not it was malicious) extended his arms all the way through, making the Pavelski's head the first thing that hits the ice with momentum.

No excuses for Eakin but someone could probably put together a compilation of similar cross checks throughout the season that were not penalized. The problem is the ref, in retrospect without any sort of method for review other than what he might have actually seen, called a major based on the result. The ref in the back does not have his hand up nearly 6 seconds after the faceoff. The ref looking right at it does not have his hand up roughly 1-2 second after the hit. As such, the following statement is bullshit:

Now, regardless - it doesn't change the fact that Vegas couldn't stop 4 pucks from going into their net. It didn't stop Vegas from winning the series when they were up 3-1. But they were at a massive disadvantage, undeservedly - that's a huge factor in the outcome.

EDIT: At the end of the day I suppose, adding video review is just opening Pandora's Box to the plethora of penalties that actually go uncalled, or we get into a situation where no one knows what the hell goaltender interference actually means, but at the bare minimum should be being able to make a decision with an appropriate review.

EDIT 2: I should also have it on record that I think the NHL doesn't call enough penalties, playoffs or not, and I'm tired of elite talent being forced to play at 70% the majority of the time because they're labouring from some injury (because they delivered or received a hard check; or they took a slash to the wrists; etc.), or missing time entirely. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: None and hn777

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
He’s such a baby. Man how can a team possibly be this entitled just their second year in the league? Boo hoo they haven’t even experienced missing the playoffs yet. No sympathy at ALL :)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I hate Vegas and I was hoping they'd get crushed but watching that video it's hard to not feel bad for them, since that was a pretty bad call. That's sports though.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That's what you get Stastny because you didn't sign with the Jets , you and the Jets would still be in the playoffs AND the Jets would still have their 1st round pick this year , bastard . ;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think you and I both know that's a horrible precedent to set and there hasn't been one because of it. We can name a few Buff hits where he only got a minor as someone writhed on the ice in pain. Stralman's hit to Little as he was thrown off balance 3-4 years ago comes to mind as one that wasn't called and there was no call after either. I get it's not apples-to-apples necessarily but you can probably talk to a fan of every fanbase and they should be able to pick one instance for and one instance against - it's terribly inconsistent.

No excuses for Eakin but someone could probably put together a compilation of similar cross checks throughout the season that were not penalized. The problem is the ref, in retrospect without any sort of method for review other than what he might have actually seen, called a major based on the result. The ref in the back does not have his hand up nearly 6 seconds after the faceoff. The ref looking right at it does not have his hand up roughly 1-2 second after the hit. As such, the following statement is bull****:

EDIT 2: I should also have it on record that I think the NHL doesn't call enough penalties, playoffs or not, and I'm tired of elite talent being forced to play at 70% the majority of the time because they're labouring from some injury (because they delivered or received a hard check; or they took a slash to the wrists; etc.), or missing time entirely. It's ridiculous.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. The NHL's referees are inconsistent at best, and I think they're given too much leeway with their interpretation of the rules. It's absolutely crazy that the NHL can send a memo out mid-season to their referees to start calling slashes as if they were previously ignoring those calls (2016-17 season after McDavid complained).

With Buff in particular I think he's a poor example because earlier in the year there was a roundtable between periods for a nationally televised game with Elliotte Friedman. I think he mentioned the Jets had taken issue with a penalty called against Buff and wanted clarification, the league and referees best response was that his hits were clean on replay but so violent and caused injury so they felt they had to call a penalty.
That is an issue with the league and the referees, they're literally allowed to call things they don't actually see.

They can pick and choose how tight a game is called in the name of reducing their influence on the game they're calling while ignoring that the calls they're letting go are influencing the game just as much as the reverse. I've made my opinion on this known before, the NHL's stance on obstruction and crosschecking calls in particular are ridiculous and it lets old and slow players survive in a league using skills completely unrelated to hockey.

Reactions: Gm0ney and WPGChief

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Imagine if Washington goes down too? Holy crap!

I can't see Washington getting knocked out, but anything is possible from what we've seen this year. If Tampa can lose, it's possible.

I'd say the Caps will win the Stanley Cup again this year ( 2 in a row)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille