Around the League 2018-19 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Its like groundhog day for oilers.

5 more years of tanking
Incoming NMC to Adam Larsson. They may even tried to trade for the rights to Datsyuk & give him a 5 year NMC if he returns to the NHL.
On the other hand they may find a few Bryce Larkins & Cholowski in the draft & they draft Boldy 8th overall.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yzerman has been the better GM for the past decade now

Their careers are actually similar in a couple ways in the sense that they inherited some amazing pieces and really made the most of it(on different scales)vand the ability to find some great value in the draft.

I actually really like this for Edmonton, if for no other reason that he has full autonomy where other guys wouldn't. I think Mark Hunter would be a great GM but Holland has a great track record and that level of control will save the Oilers from themselves.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Bringing Holland in as GM (with full autonomy!) is pretty much the only move they could've made. Holland is easily the most experienced GM available, he just might be able to simultaneously handle the meddlesome ownership/upper brass and the frustration of the fan base. A rookie GM could have interesting visions for the new NHL, but most likely would eventually collapse mentally under that kind of pressure.

From an EDM perspective, the frightening part is figuring out what old Ken will do with this newly vested "autonomy"? Main board jokes aside, I think he's learned his lesson about overcommitting on players with NMCs, but IMO he must have a bit of a chip on his shoulder after he was ousted from Detroit like that...

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
My bet is that Holland apologises to McDavid and then does with Edmonton what he did with Detroit the last few years. Just blows it apart because it's not working, accrues a massive amount of picks, starts drafting smart. Then steps aside when they start getting better again and lets someone younger take the reins from there.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
My bet is that Holland apologises to McDavid and then does with Edmonton what he did with Detroit the last few years. Just blows it apart because it's not working, accrues a massive amount of picks, starts drafting smart. Then steps aside when they start getting better again and lets someone younger take the reins from there.
It's a good plan. It's also Edmonton, though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly oilers prob just need to do that at this point.... but they cant cause they have McDavid so they have to give off the illusion they are trying to make a winning team. I really cant imagine them saying "hey mcdavid were going to trade everyone and do a full rebuild, you in?"

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
So Lindell just got a spanking new deal securing him $5.8 mil AAV for the next six years. Haven't followed him too much, but that does sound a little rich to me. I thought he was good but is he that good? MB seems pretty divided between awful and great. Not sure how much of the greats are the usual insufferable Finnish homers though. I just love the deals Manson and Lindholm have.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
So Lindell just got a spanking new deal securing him $5.8 mil AAV for the next six years. Haven't followed him too much, but that does sound a little rich to me. I thought he was good but is he that good? MB seems pretty divided between awful and great. Not sure how much of the greats are the usual insufferable Finnish homers though. I just love the deals Manson and Lindholm have.

It's mostly Stars fans who watch their team every night and know his value to the team. It's a fair contract due to salary cap going up. I'd love a prime Francois Beauchemin signed to that deal, which is basically what Lindell is. Very steady minute-eater who excels at penalty kill.

Lindholm and Manson are signed to crazy good deals. Murray really nailed those contracts.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Not only is Lindell good in his own end but he has been improving his offensive output every year. 30+ points from top pairing defensive expert is very good I would say.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro

The Sharks f***ed up. In a few years they'll reputation as the eternal chokers of the league will be set in stone and we'll be laughing.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Karlsson gets healthy and ages well that’s a great deal. If not it could be a disaster.

That said the Sharks are in win now mode, if they let him go they’re an incredibly old fringe playoff team.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Sharks have 14m in cap space left and currently only have 7 forwards under contract, 4 of them being 4th liners. Got to think Pavelski might be gone at this point unless they can dump a guy like Braun.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Sharks had to do it, but that's going to be a Kesler-esque contract within the next 3 or so years.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
If they can get at least one Cup out of the 8 years with him, then it's a good contract. It's not going to happen though with their god awful goaltending.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Pavelski/Burns/Vlasic/Couture & Thornton on the wrong side of 30.
The only guys 25 or under they have is Hertl/Meier/Lablanc. Donskoi/Kane/Karlsson/Jones are in their late 20s.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
What Wilson is doing in SJ is just straight madness. $26.5 million invested in three 30+ defensemen until 2025. $12.5 million cap space for 19-20, 8 forwards (Meier, Labanc, Pavelski, Thornton, etc. !) are in various stages of free agency. Only four top-90 picks in the next three years, one of them being a first rounder.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What Wilson is doing in SJ is just straight madness. $26.5 million invested in three 30+ defensemen until 2025. $12.5 million cap space for 19-20, 8 forwards (Meier, Labanc, Pavelski, Thornton, etc. !) are in various stages of free agency. Only four top-90 picks in the next three years, one of them being a first rounder.

He’s gone all in. They’re f***ed if they don’t win in the next 2-3 years. I just think it’s crazy that they’re going for it and still employ Jones as their starting goalie. I guess he was good until a couple of years back.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He’s gone all in. They’re ****ed if they don’t win in the next 2-3 years. I just think it’s crazy that they’re going for it and still employ Jones as their starting goalie. I guess he was good until a couple of years back.

They had to do it. They were pretty close to having no flexibility and no real future without Karlsson, this just solidifies that and improve their chances the next couple years. It's almost certainly gonna end badly but I don't think they had much of a choice.

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad