Around the League 2018-19 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
McLellan is really getting underrated as a coach on this board.
He’s fine but that roster is horrid. Look at their blue line after Doughty. That team will be in the basement the next few years, so why pay a coach $5 million?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s fine but that roster is horrid. Look at their blue line after Doughty. That team will be in the basement the next few years, so why pay a coach $5 million?

Yeah agreed that roster is going nowhere. But if you’re Blake and are delusional enough to think they can compete then it’s definitely not the worst hire.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That Kings defense is gonna be crap for many years unless they draft Byram at #5 & Seider with their later pick.
What can their coach do other than play Doughty 30 minutes a game ?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For the first time in years the NHL Norris nominations match my top three and the obvious three candidates. Maybe holding reporters accountable by making them publish their ballets is doing some good.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For the first time in years the NHL Norris nominations match my top three and the obvious three candidates. Maybe holding reporters accountable by making them publish their ballets is doing some good.

Honestly I suspect it's mostly just a coincidence of sorts. All three played on top 6 teams, two had outputs that couldn't be ignored and the other was the top defenseman on a historic team(and is the reigning winner). The other top names also had down years and/or missed time and some trendier names didn't stand out enough. Morgan Rielly was really the only true challenger IMO, although his exclusion does surprise me a bit, in a good way.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Honestly I suspect it's mostly just a coincidence of sorts. All three played on top 6 teams, two had outputs that couldn't be ignored and the other was the top defenseman on a historic team(and is the reigning winner). The other top names also had down years and/or missed time and some trendier names didn't stand out enough. Morgan Rielly was really the only true challenger IMO, although his exclusion does surprise me a bit, in a good way.

It surprises me in a good way too. I thought for sure he would be nominated and while he had an outstanding offensive season I still don’t think his defensive ability is near good enough yet to warrant a Norris nomination.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It surprises me in a good way too. I thought for sure he would be nominated and while he had an outstanding offensive season I still don’t think his defensive ability is near good enough yet to warrant a Norris nomination.

Its gonna be interesting to see the breakdown because you know full well he got some first place votes from the hometown media and probably more than a few seconds from other Canadian writers yet still didn't make the cut. I suspect he's a really close 4th in voting.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Didn`t followed Rielly and Leafs throughout the season but yesterday Rielly was really really good. Not elite, but close to that, I would say. Making great plays offensively

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Didn`t followed Rielly and Leafs throughout the season but yesterday Rielly was really really good. Not elite, but close to that, I would say. Making great plays offensively

What about the brutal turnovers in his own zone though? He’s a high risk high reward guy, great offensively but nowhere close to the likes of a Hedman defensively.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I wish the Norris went to the best defensemen, not the defensemen who scores the most points. Burns is not someone I consider to be a good DEFENSEman. of the three, Hedman is the best overall D. and also f*** Gio, dirty ass player.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wish the Norris went to the best defensemen, not the defensemen who scores the most points. Burns is not someone I consider to be a good DEFENSEman. of the three, Hedman is the best overall D. and also **** Gio, dirty ass player.
It does go to the best defenseman. Burns happens to be the best and scores the most points (by a considerable margin)

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It does go to the best defenseman. Burns happens to be the best and scores the most points (by a considerable margin)
except he's not good defensively. getting the most points doesn't mean he's the best defensemen at actually playing defense. Norris should go the best defense who can play defense. have another award for the defense who scores the most.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
except he's not good defensively. getting the most points doesn't mean he's the best defensemen at actually playing defense. Norris should go the best defense who can play defense. have another award for the defense who scores the most.
It's about overall impact man. It's weird to define the award the way you are. It's not about being the best at defending the other teams forward. It's the best defenseman in the league overall. Yes, that includes offense

Hedman had 30 less points and worse possession numbers than Burns playing on a more stacked team.

Like, on what planet is he better than Burns this year?

After looking at the numbers more, Giordano probably has an argument for it. But I'd still give it to Burns personally. Hedman is not even in the ballpark

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Adam Foote should have won then a few times. The Norris was always more point driven. Burns, with his numbers, is a well deserved one.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Out of all the stories of Finnish players finding success in the NHL, Roope Hintz is the one that probably surprises me the most. Dallas wouldn't be where they are right now, if it wasn't for his elevated level of play. And I'm not just talking about the playoffs (4 goals/7 points in 8 games), as he had 11 points in Dallas' last 14 regular season games. As a team, Dallas went 8-4-2 during that stretch and secured a wild card spot.

Lazy, complacent and, at times, completely disinterested is the image I have of him from his Liiga years. Definitely a talented guy, but had massive holes in his overall game, to the point that it was predicted that he'd never play anywhere near a top-6 role in the NHL. His time in North America seems to have worked wonders for him -- we'll see if he keeps this up, or if this ends up being a flash in the pan.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Out of all the stories of Finnish players finding success in the NHL, Roope Hintz is the one that probably surprises me the most. Dallas wouldn't be where they are right now, if it wasn't for his elevated level of play. And I'm not just talking about the playoffs (4 goals/7 points in 8 games), as he had 11 points in Dallas' last 14 regular season games. As a team, Dallas went 8-4-2 during that stretch and secured a wild card spot.

Lazy, complacent and, at times, completely disinterested is the image I have of him from his Liiga years. Definitely a talented guy, but had massive holes in his overall game, to the point that it was predicted that he'd never play anywhere near a top-6 role in the NHL. His time in North America seems to have worked wonders for him -- we'll see if he keeps this up, or if this ends up being a flash in the pan.
Eh, would be great if Nattinen (who was picked few spots later), would have developped the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad