Around the League 2018-19 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I believe that the philosophy for San Jose is, if you can go for the Cup, do so. You don't get that many real chances at winning. Like others I think that the payroll is unbalanced with too much money spent on three defensemen.

Reactions: The Baffled King

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Thats all Trouba got.....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They had to do it. They were pretty close to having no flexibility and no real future without Karlsson, this just solidifies that and improve their chances the next couple years. It's almost certainly gonna end badly but I don't think they had much of a choice.
Yeah I agree. They’re going to be in bad shape no matter what in a few years may as well swing for the fences and sign Karlsson.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Did Teaford actually compare New York’s package for Trouba to the equivalent of us giving up Steel/Terry and a first?

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Maybe we can get Ehlers for the 29th + some middling prospect :laugh:
I've actually been toying with an idea like this, but it would take more than a middling prospect I think. Ehlers is a skilled player signed to a reasonable $6M deal for 6 years, and that's valuable.

I was thinking #29 plus Sprong and Lundestrom. They get a good prospect and a body with some scoring ability to fill the hole Ehlers leaves. This is a draft day deal, because it's easier to do if it looks like there may be a center still available at #9 to replace Lundy. It's why I argued about trading a pick to get Stralman so we can talk to him and maybe get a deal done by then. If he's locked up, we don't have to worry about possibly needing #29 for a defenseman.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've actually been toying with an idea like this, but it would take more than a middling prospect I think. Ehlers is a skilled player signed to a reasonable $6M deal for 6 years, and that's valuable.

I was thinking #29 plus Sprong and Lundestrom. They get a good prospect and a body with some scoring ability to fill the hole Ehlers leaves. This is a draft day deal, because it's easier to do if it looks like there may be a center still available at #9 to replace Lundy. It's why I argued about trading a pick to get Stralman so we can talk to him and maybe get a deal done by then. If he's locked up, we don't have to worry about possibly needing #29 for a defenseman.

We need Lundy/Steel and another good young center just to have sufficient depth for the future - and we have enough young winger assets of similar trade value to move instead.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Toronto is such a **** show
How so now? Is it because Marner won’t take a discount like all Leaf fans said he would? And now if he leaves it won’t be that big of a deal because he was lifted by Tavares and that he’s not a play driver and not much better than Nylander after all? Or that they would rather have 4 mid-late first round picks in exchange for Marner instead of assets that would help them win now?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How so now? Is it because Marner won’t take a discount like all Leaf fans said he would? And now if he leaves it won’t be that big of a deal because he was lifted by Tavares and that he’s not a play driver and not much better than Nylander after all? Or that they would rather have 4 mid-late first round picks in exchange for Marner instead of assets that would help them win now?

Well that and the now marleau situation.... they were talkin bout how easy it would be to move him and they wouldnt pay more than a 4th.... and even if they get through all this their defense is worse than last year... and muzzin is a fa at end of year.

Reactions: dracom
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kevin Hayes is about to get a 7mil for 6 or 7 years... these contracts for players are getting ridiculous.

Over 7, 50 over 7 years. That's why I laughed when people said Rico's contract is one of the worst in hockey and has no value or that Fowler's is really bad(can probably throw Silf in there too). Salaries are rising again and that train probably isn't stopping for a while.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Kevin Hayes is about to get a 7mil for 6 or 7 years... these contracts for players are getting ridiculous.
Wait until the rest of the players see the end result. Without a cap, a rising tide lifts all boats. With a cap, the more the top players get, the less is left for the mid to bottom level guys. The squeeze on the PA "middle class" is not going to be pretty.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Teams like Philly & NYR like to end their rebuilds a bit premature. Seems like Philly & NYR think that after the draft + their trades that they suddenly are contenders.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Teams like Philly & NYR like to end their rebuilds a bit premature. Seems like Philly & NYR think that after the draft + their trades that they suddenly are contenders.

I don't know what the hell Philly was doing with that Hayes contract, but I'd never fault a team for that Trouba move. When you have the chance to get a top pairing d-man in his prime for that little value, you do it every single time, no matter what.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Hayes contract goes up there as being one of the worst in the NHL before it even starts. He’s going to be in the Lucic/Eriksson territory by year 4 of the deal IMO.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Philadelphia is a terrible franchise. They never actually move forward, perpetually in the black hole.

Haven't been good since Pronger got hurt. I feel bad for Giroux, he seems like a lifer there and there's no way they're winning a cup before he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad