Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Going by the logic of some on here

Until proven otherwise the top 6 playoff spots will be pitt wash jackets bolts bruins leafs.

Last two spots for flyers devils panthers buffalo

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's a lame analogy cause the 'analysts' weren't overrating us going into any recent season.

I wouldn't neccesarily put Florida in with Buffalo and Carolina though. All kidding aside they DO have a good young core, my main issue with them is their goaltending short-term (with Luongo's age and Reimer being eh) and ownership long-term.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
We were labeled an "up and coming" team for years before we made the playoffs?

Lol a couple of different words makes that much of a difference? Is that any better? Just means our season was a fluke then lol. But I get the argument all the mentioned teams are going to be bad until they aren’t. And all the good teams will be good til they aren’t

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's a lame analogy cause the 'analysts' weren't overrating us going into any recent season.

I wouldn't neccesarily put Florida in with Buffalo and Carolina though. All kidding aside they DO have a good young core, my main issue with them is their goaltending short-term (with Luongo's age and Reimer being eh) and ownership long-term.
I think Florida will be right around where they were last season. I don't think they are any worse, but I don't think they are any better either. They will be fighting for 7-10.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

You can make the playoffs with shoddy goalies. Making noise is different.

I don’t know where people get Carolina from they won’t be competing for a playoff spot this year.

Imo the flyers buffalo panthers will be fighting for the 7/8.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Florida will be right around where they were last season. I don't think they are any worse, but I don't think they are any better either. They will be fighting for 7-10.

Well they did add Hoffman and I don't think subtracted anyone of note.

You can make the playoffs with shoddy goalies. Making noise is different.

I don’t know where people get Carolina from they won’t be competing for a playoff spot this year.

Imo the flyers buffalo panthers will be fighting for the 7/8.

Carolina was a bit below a bubble team last year and while they've made a lot of changes it's questionable to whether they're actually any better. Buffalo was WAY below a bubble team last year and traded one of their two best players.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would love if Zacha hired him. Zacha has all the tools but he needs someone to show him how to become a dangerous player especially in the offensive zone. I think that guy could do miracles with him.

I think Belfry would be great for Zacha, but like he said in the article, it's the best when the player approaches him and doesn't have to be sold on it. In my experience, that holds true for most serious people wanting to get better at anything - they seek out the methods of improvement, it's never brought to them on a platter.

That's the thing about pro sports teams: they try to put all these resources in front of the players but [insert phrase about leading a horse to water] it's always going to be on the player to grow his game. Look at what Hall accomplished with a clear re-evaluation of his game.

The mental edge is where it all really happens because the physical edge is rare at this level.

Reactions: Verdoux

Camille the Eel

Is this meant as a joke? They only added the biggest and best UFA in the history of the league. How do you add a franchise player in his prime and NOT improve? I mean the idea that they aren't much better is insane.
No it isn’t a joke. I was, I suppose, using alleged to mean probable but with a certain amount of doubt.

They upgrade with Tavares - though he certainly wasn’t a winner in NY and I regard him as a grinder, the best lacrosse player in the NHL I call him. Still he does give them a stronger second line threat. But who is to say whether their defense can handle the stress and provide the structure they need to be truly a contender. It’s still weak in my eyes. Reilly (sic, spelling) as a # 1 pair guy in this league? Not sure. Then their goaltending was very good last year, but will it repeat?

So they are probably better, but maybe not all that much. Let them show they can get out of the first round of the playoffs before I start to get out the superlatives. Do they win their division even? Far from clear.

Query - why did my slipping “alleged” into the phrase piss you off so much? Because really the context was that Boston’s competition was going to be tougher and the Bruins might not rack up the points this year as copiously as last.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
No it isn’t a joke. I was, I suppose, using alleged to mean probable but with a certain amount of doubt.

They upgrade with Tavares - though he certainly wasn’t a winner in NY and I regard him as a grinder, the best lacrosse player in the NHL I call him. Still he does give them a stronger second line threat. But who is to say whether their defense can handle the stress and provide the structure they need to be truly a contender. It’s still weak in my eyes. Reilly (sic, spelling) as a # 1 pair guy in this league? Not sure. Then their goaltending was very good last year, but will it repeat?

So they are probably better, but maybe not all that much. Let them show they can get out of the first round of the playoffs before I start to get out the superlatives. Do they win their division even? Far from clear.

Query - why did my slipping “alleged” into the phrase piss you off so much? Because really the context was that Boston’s competition was going to be tougher and the Bruins might not rack up the points this year as copiously as last.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say you are alone in thinking that of JT. i doubt teams were willing to give him 13 million a year for a grinder. if jt doesn't improve their second line scoring then what would it take to improve it?

honestly too you can't really fault them on not winning their division since tampa is a runaway cup favorite already. getting to the second round wont be easy either having to go through boston.

Reactions: Nubmer6

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That is kind of funny to think about.

Toronto spent years being terrible, and they're finally emerging as a contender, only to have to deal with the Lightning in their division.

But hey, even the Caps eventually won the cup in the same position.

Reactions: BHD

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Is this meant as a joke? They only added the biggest and best UFA in the history of the league. How do you add a franchise player in his prime and NOT improve? I mean the idea that they aren't much better is insane.

I mean, it's not totally crazy to think that Toronto might actually not put up as many points as they did last year. They lost the production that JVR put up, which isn't anything to sneeze at. Their defense is pretty iffy, and actually might not be any better than ours. And I wouldn't say that Andersen is a sure thing quite yet.

When you look at it, Toronto and Philly are pretty similar in terms of pure talent, and Philly might actually turn out to be significantly better in that regard if Patrick takes a big step forward this year, which is quite possible. And for whatever reason, Philly doesn't have nearly the hype that Toronto does.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel

i'm going to go out on a limb and say you are alone in thinking that of JT. i doubt teams were willing to give him 13 million a year for a grinder. if jt doesn't improve their second line scoring then what would it take to improve it?

honestly too you can't really fault them on not winning their division since tampa is a runaway cup favorite already. getting to the second round wont be easy either having to go through boston.
I will grant you much of that. I’m not alone (see the post above, thank you very much) but those who think like me and along with me - we are definitely a minority. Time will tell. But then I’ve never been a big big Tavares fan. He’s a superb player to be sure. But “the greatest signing in the history of free agency” or something like that said above: I really don’t know about that. (I’d have taken Hossa and 2 cups in Chicago if indeed they got him in free agency). Anyway nobody can settle that debate.

My biggest criticism and doubt is that he hasn’t been a guy who has necessarily made the team around him all that much better on the Isles. (I will take Hall last year with us over him without hesitation as a transformative teammate). This stint with Toronto is going to tell us one way or the other just how major a talent he is.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I will grant you much of that. I’m not alone (see the post above, thank you very much) but those who think like me and along with me - we are definitely a minority. Time will tell. But then I’ve never been a big big Tavares fan. He’s a superb player to be sure. But “the greatest signing in the history of free agency” or something like that said above: I really don’t know about that. (I’d have taken Hossa and 2 cups in Chicago if indeed they got him in free agency). Anyway nobody can settle that debate.

My biggest criticism and doubt is that he hasn’t been a guy who has necessarily made the team around him all that much better on the Isles. (I will take Hall last year with us over him without hesitation as a transformative teammate). This stint with Toronto is going to tell us one way or the other just how major a talent he is.

To be fair people were saying the same thing about Hall before he left a clueless organization and came here. Now JT's leaving a clueless organization for Shannyworld.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Even odder, we drafted both Santini and Wood in the same draft that those two came from, in later rounds. Mirco was also drafted in that draft.

We came out of that draft with Cory Schneider, Santini, and Wood. Not bad, Lou.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Even odder, we drafted both Santini and Wood in the same draft that those two came from, in later rounds. Mirco was also drafted in that draft.

We came out of that draft with Cory Schneider, Santini, and Wood. Not bad, Lou.

That was the year Marty drafted his kid, wasn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad