Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Carolina can at least hang their hat on having an overall good defense from top to bottom.

Isles have a good top line depending on how Barzal adapts, but forward depth is nothing special. D isn’t good either, and question marks in goal.

Plus I expect it to take longer then one camp for Trotz to break some of the very bad habits that team developed last year.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Carolina can at least hang their hat on having an overall good defense from top to bottom.

Isles have a good top line depending on how Barzal adapts, but forward depth is nothing special. D isn’t good either, and question marks in goal.

Plus I expect it to take longer then one camp for Trotz to break some of the very bad habits that team developed last year.
The Isles had the one of the highest scoring teams in the league last year. I'd expect them to be able to adjust to losing Tavares and still be reasonable. Obviously their main issue is on D and between the pipes.

I'm beginning to wonder if Lou's moves aren't as bad as I thought. I mean, they're horrible lengths, but he's got his formula of 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a mucking line. Replacing their 4th line with those pugilists probably isn't losing them all that much offense and gives them a different dimension.

Or... maybe I'm just tired and not thinking straight.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm beginning to wonder if Lou's moves aren't as bad as I thought. I mean, they're horrible lengths, but he's got his formula of 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a mucking line. Replacing their 4th line with those pugilists probably isn't losing them all that much offense and gives them a different dimension.

And no defense with a wild card in goal. I mean people are hand-wringing over our D, and it looks great compared to what the Isles are icing. I know that's the easiest part of the game for Trotz to mask but he hasn't had a defensive grouping this suspect since his early days in Nashville.

I'm not even sure they have two scoring lines, I guess they could put Barzal-Lee and Bailey-Eberle on seperate lines and hope whoever rides shotgun on each can draft into some points but people to have to remember this isn't going to be the wide open offense they had the last couple years.

Plus as much as we bag on the whole 'everyone's going to compete in this division' meme, it really does have a whiff of truth to it, there aren't too many easy nights in division play which makes it harder for an upstart team like the Isles to make headway.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think at their respective peaks Lundqvist was better, but the longevity Luongo has had kind of evens it out for me. CuJo was probably my second favorite goalie to watch behind Marty because he was more of an athletic goalie, plus his mask is still probably my favorite mask ever.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Isles had the one of the highest scoring teams in the league last year. I'd expect them to be able to adjust to losing Tavares and still be reasonable. Obviously their main issue is on D and between the pipes.

Or... maybe I'm just tired and not thinking straight.

They lost nearly 40 goals alone in one player. They aren’t going to play nearly as wide open as they did last year, and it generious to say they have two scoring lines.

Barzal is also not going to be potting a lot of goals. It simply isn’t his game, he is a playmaker.

This is what happens when you lose a top center. Your forward depth falls apart in a hurry. All you have to do is shut down Barzal and you win.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rank their careers

Lundy
Luongo
CuJo
Probably Lundqvist slightly ahead of Luongo and both ahead of Cujo.

Lundqvist and Luongo both should be in the HOF (I feel like Lundqvist is a lock, Luongo might get screwed, or at the very least have to wait quite a few years past eligibility) and Cujo (rightfully) just missed the HOF.

For me, Luongo probably had the better years, but Lundqvist has had more just a little more really dominant years than Luongo has had? Even though Luongo's most dominant year was better than Lundqvist's most dominant year. At the same time, Luongo's efficiency may very well be outlasting Lundqvist's, despite being 3 years older, but Luongo has also been breaking down the last couple years with injuries and missing time.

03-04 was one of the best year's a goaltender (Luongo) has ever had, yet he still lost 8 more regulation games than he won, and almost doubled his wins total that year with games lost and tied. And for a team that missed the playoffs by almost 20 points! That probably cost him the Vezina that year, which would tie him with Lundqvist for total Vezina's won. Luongo hasn't won any because of that. That's a prime example of why it's stupid to say wins/losses are the be all, end all stat for goalies. Between that year from Luongo and that stupid season where people argued Nabokov should win the Vezina over Marty with mediocre goaltending, because he won more games in fewer starts.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Probably Lundqvist slightly ahead of Luongo and both ahead of Cujo.

Lundqvist and Luongo both should be in the HOF (I feel like Lundqvist is a lock, Luongo might get screwed, or at the very least have to wait quite a few years past eligibility) and Cujo (rightfully) just missed the HOF.

For me, Luongo probably had the better years, but Lundqvist has had more just a little more really dominant years than Luongo has had? Even though Luongo's most dominant year was better than Lundqvist's most dominant year. At the same time, Luongo's efficiency may very well be outlasting Lundqvist's, despite being 3 years older, but Luongo has also been breaking down the last couple years with injuries and missing time.

03-04 was one of the best year's a goaltender (Luongo) has ever had, yet he still lost 8 more regulation games than he won, and almost doubled his wins total that year with games lost and tied. And for a team that missed the playoffs by almost 20 points! That probably cost him the Vezina that year, which would tie him with Lundqvist for total Vezina's won. Luongo hasn't won any because of that. That's a prime example of why it's stupid to say wins/losses are the be all, end all stat for goalies. Between that year from Luongo and that stupid season where people argued Nabokov should win the Vezina over Marty with mediocre goaltending, because he won more games in fewer starts.

lu also got right f***ing shelled on the bookends of the 05 lockout…..surprised he didnt need treatment for PTSD after that

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Players like Tennessee
w43ZGHu.jpg

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They lost nearly 40 goals alone in one player. They aren’t going to play nearly as wide open as they did last year, and it generious to say they have two scoring lines.

Barzal is also not going to be potting a lot of goals. It simply isn’t his game, he is a playmaker.

This is what happens when you lose a top center. Your forward depth falls apart in a hurry. All you have to do is shut down Barzal and you win.
Some people think Barzal and his line got points as a total fluke. When the Barzal line was on the ice they would usually gain posession, bring the puck into the opposing zone, maintain posession and pin the opposition into their own end. When you do that it's not a mystery that it led to goals and points.

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad