Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I hate Pajama Boy because he turned out to be a fake phoney lying dishonest fraud and a snake (Don't believe me? Go read all the interviews he did the last several years talking how much he loved the Isles, how the team meant so much to him, how he would never leave and how the idea of going to Toronto was ridiculous. Why do you think everyone thought he would stay? They believed what he had repeatedly said)

to be fair, when he did those interviews there was a different team running the office. it’s not really intellectually honest to hold him to things he said prior to the changes

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
to be fair, when he did those interviews there was a different team running the office. it’s not really intellectually honest to hold him to things he said prior to the changes
Gun to your head: if the team kept Garth and Doug do you REALLY think he would've stayed? I mean, give me a freaking break. He knew exactly what he planned to do. Did you see his quote about how it was a big positive his beloved Leafs didn't have to give up anything to get him. Gee, I wonder why he begged the Isles not to trade him? I know why: if he had been honest it would've hurt his beloved childhood team, so instead he f***ed the Isles harder than Stormy Daniels.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gun to your head: if the team kept Garth and Doug do you REALLY think he would've stayed? I mean, give me a freaking break. He knew exactly what he planned to do. Did you see his quote about how it was a big positive his beloved Leafs didn't have to give up anything to get him. Gee, I wonder why he begged the Isles not to trade him? I know why: if he had been honest it would've hurt his beloved childhood team, so instead he ****ed the Isles harder than Stormy Daniels.
Hell no, I don't think he would have stayed.

Garth and Doug sucked. Garth should have been gone 6-7 years ago.

Reactions: sabremike

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If a pending UFA the team wishes to keep doesn't extend by the end of July when his extension window opens up, that team should trade said player in my view. No, the return will not be better than the player sent away, but a player that wants to stay with an organization will either sign or at least say "I want to stay and if you can make it work to pay me X more than you are offering I will sign right now", and anything along the lines of "I'll think about it" is a no from said player. The Isles whiffed on JT in that they said ok when he asked not to be traded at the deadline. At that point, you sit down with him a week prior to the deadline ask if there is any extension he will sign and if he is evasive or says we'll talk after the season you trade him. If a player is not interested in staying then the organization owes him no immunity from a trade in the absence of a contractual clause. Again, my opinion and others will see it differently.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Gun to your head: if the team kept Garth and Doug do you REALLY think he would've stayed? I mean, give me a freaking break. He knew exactly what he planned to do. Did you see his quote about how it was a big positive his beloved Leafs didn't have to give up anything to get him. Gee, I wonder why he begged the Isles not to trade him? I know why: if he had been honest it would've hurt his beloved childhood team, so instead he ****ed the Isles harder than Stormy Daniels.

i think the front office he grew with in long island had a better chance of retaining him, yes. he may have chosen the leafs anyway, but i think it would’ve been a lot closer.

i remember when parise went home. it hurt initially and i’m sure i ranted like a maniac too...but it’ll pass

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

A) He didn't sign with them and had plenty of time to do so before they left, as much as he may have loved the organization
B) I wouldn't neccesarily want a guy who would rather play for a perrenial loser organization than for guys like Lou and Trotz.

Well he didn't have to say he only wanted to go to Toronto at the deadline, just that he wouldn't re-sign with the Isles. They could easily have gotten something from Boston or whomever. Toronto probably wouldn't have bothered trading major assets for an offensive rental at the deadline anyway.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I wouldn't neccesarily want a guy who would rather play for a perrenial loser organization than for guys like Lou and Trotz.

of those two teams, the leafs are the perennial loser organization? even if that was true, lou was just their GM. and trotz was literally a perennial loser until he finally won a cup last year.

the leafs have a better team, a better future and better management than the islanders. and they know where their arena will be in 5 years, which is probably nice for tavares

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
of those two teams, the leafs are the perennial loser organization? even if that was true, lou was just their GM. and trotz was literally a perennial loser until he finally won a cup last year.

the leafs have a better team, a better future and better management than the islanders. and they know where their arena will be in 5 years, which is probably nice for tavares

I was referring to the Snow and Weight Isles as the loser organization since you were the one playing devils' advocate that he might have stayed if they hadn't been canned.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I was referring to the Snow and Weight Isles as the loser organization since you were the one playing devils' advocate that he might have stayed if they hadn't been canned.

ohhh hahaha ok...makes more sense. like i said he may still very well have left. and the isles were a gong show. but there was a history there that he no longer had to consider once they restructured.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
.913 save percentage, league average was .912 last year. Kinkaid had a .913 also.

What's so outstanding about that?

He does seem to suffer from Craig Anderson Syndrome where he's good one year, bad the next, so maybe he's good this upcoming season. Still, if Luongo gets injured or time finally catches up with him, James Reimer is not really the guy I want to go to war with in what will likely be a dogfight between a handful of teams for a couple of spots.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah as much as I love Strombone, the Panthers goaltending is a bigger question than given credit for, especially since their D allowed one of the highest shot totals in the NHL last year and Luongo held up remarkably well - albeit in about a half season while Reimer was just average in his share of games.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Stop with the nuclear weapons grade bullshit about the arena. Belmont is 100% going to happen. Do you think like a dozen goddamned nutfudge lunatics are going to take out the governor's pet project (that also just happens to be 100% privately funded)? Lou said it could open ahead of schedule, and you guys are all aware he has a history with these things. Remember when George Zoffinger said Pru Center was going to be delayed and the Devils would have to stay longer at CAA? And remember how Lou said the guy was full of crap? Guess what: Pru Center opened exactly on time.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hate FLA and their two dozen fans but they have a strong lineup and have a few high end prospects like Tippett and Borgstrom just about ready to be in Sunrise

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Stop with the nuclear weapons grade bull**** about the arena. Belmont is 100% going to happen. Do you think like a dozen goddamned nutfudge lunatics are going to take out the governor's pet project (that also just happens to be 100% privately funded)? Lou said it could open ahead of schedule, and you guys are all aware he has a history with these things. Remember when George Zoffinger said Pru Center was going to be delayed and the Devils would have to stay longer at CAA? And remember how Lou said the guy was full of crap? Guess what: Pru Center opened exactly on time.

i guarantee stability factored into his decision. he’s a smart guy, how could it not? the islanders have had arena stability/attendance issues for years, and that was before they started playing on some of the worst ice in the league. you think that didn’t factor into the equation when deciding where to the pay for the next decade?

the prudential center is completely different. that would be like me referencing Xanadu or whatever that mess is called to say belmont won’t happen

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
i guarantee stability factored into his decision. he’s a smart guy, how could it not? the islanders have had arena stability/attendance issues for years, and that was before they started playing on some of the worst ice in the league. you think that didn’t factor into the equation when deciding where to the pay for the next decade?

the prudential center is completely different. that would be like me referencing Xanadu or whatever that mess is called to say belmont won’t happen
You are totally right: Belmont is going to collapse because of the heroic efforts of Parlamentarian Matthew Sexton and his band of about a dozen lunatics and wierdos. A project that is the signature accomplishment of the governor on state owned land that is ENTIRELY PRIVATELY FUNDED has as much chance of not happening as Chris Christie does of winning the Mr Olympia bodybuilding contest. Barclays necessitated stealing people's f***ing property to get done and it still happened because the state wanted it done. How the hell do you see Belmont not happening???

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh, and take a guess which former Islander was once quoted as saying the ice in Toronto was worse than the ice at Barclays? Go on, take a guess!

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Oddly enough Skinkaruk was a guy who I really wanted at that draft
I just thought about this. I remember expecting us to pick Shinkaruk because a lot of pundits had us grabbing him, just like I was expecting us to pick Barzal a couple years ago. It's such a crapshoot drafting 18 year old kids.

Reactions: Billdo

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I just thought about this. I remember expecting us to pick Shinkaruk because a lot of pundits had us grabbing him, just like I was expecting us to pick Barzal a couple years ago. It's such a crapshoot drafting 18 year old kids.
Every time I want to prove NHL executives are the worst in all of pro sports the first thing I cite is all the teams who passed on Barzal. The second is all the teams who passed on Middlestadt (Who was no worse than the 3rd most talented guy in his draft class) because he couldn't do a pull up at the combine. Because it wasn't like he could get stronger after having just turned 18 and had tons of God given hockey skill or anything.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Every time I want to prove NHL executives are the worst in all of pro sports the first thing I cite is all the teams who passed on Barzal. The second is all the teams who passed on Middlestadt (Who was no worse than the 3rd most talented guy in his draft class) because he couldn't do a pull up at the combine. Because it wasn't like he could get stronger after having just turned 18 and had tons of God given hockey skill or anything.
Well to be fair Ive worked with children ages 8-10 who can do multiple pull ups. Middlestadt is skinny too. No excuse why he couldn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad