Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think anybody cares. It's basically a bust for bust trade.

Shinkaruk was one of the favorites on this board to draft at #9 along with Nichushkin. I also seem to recall a few posters here pining for Rychel via trade.

That draft seems really bad outside of the widely hyped top 4. Lots of players not living up to expectations and a bunch of outright busts in the first round. Only Horvat seems to have stepped up and exceeded predictions.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Butcher was drafted that year too, so in a roundabout way we'll have 4 picks from that year on the roster with Wood, Santini, Butcher, and Mueller.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I will grant you much of that. I’m not alone (see the post above, thank you very much) but those who think like me and along with me - we are definitely a minority. Time will tell. But then I’ve never been a big big Tavares fan. He’s a superb player to be sure. But “the greatest signing in the history of free agency” or something like that said above: I really don’t know about that. (I’d have taken Hossa and 2 cups in Chicago if indeed they got him in free agency). Anyway nobody can settle that debate.

My biggest criticism and doubt is that he hasn’t been a guy who has necessarily made the team around him all that much better on the Isles. (I will take Hall last year with us over him without hesitation as a transformative teammate). This stint with Toronto is going to tell us one way or the other just how major a talent he is.
Do you think PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson scoring lots of goals on his wing was an accident. I hate Pajama Boy because he turned out to be a fake phoney lying dishonest fraud and a snake (Don't believe me? Go read all the interviews he did the last several years talking how much he loved the Isles, how the team meant so much to him, how he would never leave and how the idea of going to Toronto was ridiculous. Why do you think everyone thought he would stay? They believed what he had repeatedly said) but he is still a great player.

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Do you think PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson scoring lots of goals on his wing was an accident. I hate Pajama Boy because he turned out to be a fake phoney lying dishonest fraud and a snake (Don't believe me? Go read all the interviews he did the last several years talking how much he loved the Isles, how the team meant so much to him, how he would never leave and how the idea of going to Toronto was ridiculous. Why do you think everyone thought he would stay? They believed what he had repeatedly said) but he is still a great player.
Just like parise was and kovalchuk is.

But @Camille the Eel , I really cant think of a more dynamic and gamebreaking free agent in history. I mean the title sounds nice, but all it means is "he was the best player ever available in free agency... for now......"

Most players either sign for life, or get traded away in a megadeal (or for Adam Larsson :sarcasm:)

Reactions: sabremike

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The most important FA's ever (at least post-cap) were Chara and Nieds, but the more glitzy names with offensive talent are JT and Kovalchuk. Maybe JT will have enough impact to lead the Leafs to a cup, but at the moment I'd probably rather have prime Chara or prime Nieds over JT.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The most important FA's ever (at least post-pcap) were Chara and Nieds, but the more glitzy names with offensive talent are JT and Kovalchuk. Maybe JT will have enough impact to lead the Leafs to a cup, but at the moment I'd probably rather have prime Chara or prime Nieds over JT.
prime chara was a steal, though i don't remember him being a gamebreaker when he signed with the bruins. didn't he peak after he joined them? also, not to mention the hindsight of his longevity as a productive player makes him seem more like a steal, but idk if he was that highly touted when he joined.

then again, i wasn't really paying attention back in '06

Reactions: devilsblood

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
prime chara was a steal, though i don't remember him being a gamebreaker when he signed with the bruins. didn't he peak after he joined them? also, not to mention the hindsight of his longevity as a productive player makes him seem more like a steal, but idk if he was that highly touted when he joined.

then again, i wasn't really paying attention back in '06
I thought he had already won a Norris before he was with the B's

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A poll on the main board, does FLA make the playoffs?

80% vote yes.

I don't think Bleed on Cage voted No yet, but that team has way too much talent not to get in.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The most important FA's ever (at least post-cap) were Chara and Nieds, but the more glitzy names with offensive talent are JT and Kovalchuk. Maybe JT will have enough impact to lead the Leafs to a cup, but at the moment I'd probably rather have prime Chara or prime Nieds over JT.

Good D, who can push the play ahead, make forwards better

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I don't think it's a lock they get in. If Luongo has any sort of slippage then they're in trouble

Plus they were absurdly healthy last year. Not sure it happens again. Also not impressed with the defensive abilities of their D. Teams will get chances on them and plenty

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A poll on the main board, does FLA make the playoffs?

80% vote yes.

I don't think Bleed on Cage voted No yet, but that team has way too much talent not to get in.

Yes well, I'm sure 80% of the main board had us missing the playoffs last year too.

Momentum from late season runs doesn't necessarily carry over to the following season. They had a 38 year old Luongo post the second best save percentage of his career, played their top two centers 21+ minutes a night, and had healthy seasons from their key forwards (which for Barkov is practically a miracle). While I certainly won't be surprised if they do make the playoffs, if Luongo regresses or Barkov misses 15+ games again, they could still easily miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't think it's a lock they get in. If Luongo has any sort of slippage then they're in trouble

Plus they were absurdly healthy last year. Not sure it happens again. Also not impressed with the defensive abilities of their D. Teams will get chances on them and plenty

Lu missed a lot of time with injury and Reimer was outstanding for a long stretch.

They were extremely healthy overall last season aside from Malgin so that can factor in.

But on paper they are a sure bet playoff team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lu missed a lot of time with injury and Reimer was outstanding for a long stretch.

They were extremely healthy overall last season aside from Malgin so that can factor in.

But on paper they are a sure bet playoff team.
Reimer isn't even that good.

There you go again, hyping up mediocre goalies.

Just like Mrazek over the last two years, who has been horrifically brutal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Florida has the high-end pieces at the right positions so playoffs should be more likely than not for them.

I’m still skeptical about goaltending though. Luongo plays like a glorified beer league goalie now as he’s gotten older and I would have to think it catches up to him one of these years. Reimer reminds me a lot of Kinkaid where you have absolutely no idea what you’re getting from him most nights (and years).

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

To be fair - The Isles gutted their staff just before he became a free agent. New owner, new management team, new coaching staff. The organization he was talking about no longer existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad