Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Philadelphia and Florida locks for the playoffs? :laugh:

The rest seem like pretty safe bets for a spot, but there are still no guarantees. I don't see Carolina or the Rangers even competing for one.
Frankly, I don't even think Pitt is an absolute lock. Up to the last week or two they were in real danger of missing last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Frankly, I don't even think Pitt is an absolute lock. Up to the last week or two they were in real danger of missing last year.
We finished tied with Columbus in points, and only 1 point behind Philadelphia, 3 points behind Pittsburgh, and 8 behind Washington and Toronto.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
These 7 are locks to get in:

Wash
Pitts
TB
TML
Philly
FLA
Boston

We battle Cbj, Rawly and the Rags for that final spot.
Only you would think Florida are a lock and the Rangers would even be in the hunt for a spot.....

Also very surprised you didn’t pick the Islanders to compete for that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And also remember

Every year there's at least one ''lock'' team (if not two or three) that miss the playoffs.

For instance, how many people were picking St. Louis to miss the playoffs before the start of last year? How many people were picking Ottawa and Montreal to miss the playoffs? Remember when Florida won their division and made the playoffs in 2016? How many people were picking them to miss the next year?

Because those last three teams that I mentioned really weren't locks any more than teams like Florida or Philadelphia. St. Louis coming into last year was probably a lock right up there with a team like Washington, Pittsburgh, TB, etc.

Reactions: Blender

Camille the Eel

These 7 are locks to get in:

Wash
Pitts
TB
TML
Philly
FLA
Boston

We battle Cbj, Rawly and the Rags for that final spot.
I don’t consider Philly, Fla, or Boston to be any more locks than us or Columbus. I would not be surprised to see all or a bunch of of these clubs, including us, finish within 4 or 5 points of each other.

When it’s that close it’s a few head to head matchup games.

Also Florida’s and Toronto’s alleged improvement, and Buffalo being tougher to play (maybe) means many more competitive games for Boston.

Who gets off to a hot start? That was so important for us last year. Because you can seize a position and then play a lot of 500 hockey and hang in the race that way.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We finished tied with Columbus in points, and only 1 point behind Philadelphia, 3 points behind Pittsburgh, and 8 behind Washington and Toronto.
I wonder what this board would have thought if we didn't rest players for the final game and won. We would have been been in the top 3 in the metro instead of a wildcard ahead of Columbus and Philly, and just 1 behind Pitt. I'm thinking those two points would have affected a lot of people's mindset.

-edit-
It's interesting how t would have affected the draft tough. We would have ended up picking 20th and probably missed out on Ty Smith. Perhaps we would have snagged K'Andre Miller instead.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
And also remember

Every year there's at least one ''lock'' team (if not two or three) that miss the playoffs.

For instance, how many people were picking St. Louis to miss the playoffs before the start of last year? How many people were picking Ottawa and Montreal to miss the playoffs? Remember when Florida won their division and made the playoffs in 2016? How many people were picking them to miss the next year?

Because those last three teams that I mentioned really weren't locks any more than teams like Florida or Philadelphia. St. Louis coming into last year was probably a lock right up there with a team like Washington, Pittsburgh, TB, etc.

NYb will be much better than expected, but will prob fizzle out around March.

The Rags will be right there in the mix

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
NYb will be much better than expected, but will prob fizzle out around March.

The Rags will be right there in the mix

The Rangers are awful. They got absolutely destroyed after their selloff and did nothing to improve this offseason. They will get Shattenkirk back but that is about it. Lundqvist is 36, they have 0 1st line players, and basically no one on their team suppresses shots against.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Rangers are awful. They got absolutely destroyed after their selloff and did nothing to improve this offseason. They will get Shattenkirk back but that is about it. Lundqvist is 36, they have 0 1st line players, and basically no one on their team suppresses shots against.

For the Rangers to be respectable, they need one of Andersson/Chytil to be their Nico, one of their defenders to surprise and be a Butcher, and for a lot of other things to go right.

It's not impossible, but it's far from likely.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah, in the Eastern Conference, as far as locks for the playoffs go, I see:

WSH, PIT, TBL, TML.

As for probably in:

BOS, CBJ.

I think we'll be battling around PHI.

To me, CAR, FLA, NYI, and BUF are anyone's guess.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
For the Rangers to be respectable, they need one of Andersson/Chytil to be their Nico, one of their defenders to surprise and be a Butcher, and for a lot of other things to go right.

It's not impossible, but it's far from likely.

Oh sure, I would almost never rule out a team from making the playoffs in August, and while the Rangers have no 1st liners, they have about 7 2nd line guys - there's scoring depth. I just don't think that's enough to overcome a terrible defense and average goaltending.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I see the Rangers as being anywhere from a 70 point team to an 85 point team.

So I see them finishing somewhere between the 15-16 Devils and the 16-17 Devils.

If I recall correctly, DD was the only one not convinced in mid-March that the Rangers were completely done. That was even after they said they were giving up on the season and didn't give a f*** about it anymore.

He also said as of last November that they'd finish 14 points ahead of us by the end of the season last year, but that we were on track to pass them within two years....

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I see the Rangers as being anywhere from a 70 point team to an 85 point team.

So I see them finishing somewhere between the 15-16 Devils and the 16-17 Devils.

If I recall correctly, DD was the only one not convinced in mid-March that the Rangers were completely done. That was even after they said they were giving up on the season and didn't give a **** about it anymore.

He also said as of last November that they'd finish 14 points ahead of us by the end of the season last year, but that we were on track to pass them within two years....
I believe I said I'd never stop worrying about them until they were mathematically eliminated. But by the time they announced they were rebuilding, I changed my mind.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I believe I said I'd never stop worrying about them until they were mathematically eliminated. But by the time they announced they were rebuilding, I changed my mind.
I think they swept the Western Canada trip by beating Vancouver (sucks), Edmonton (Dumpster fire) and Calgary (Free fell out of a spot late in the season) and they even needed a 50 save performance to win one of those games. They looked pathetic even when they swept that trip.

That breathed life to them not being done yet, but I don't think many people thought they'd get in by that point.

I remember saying possibly after that (it may have been right before) that I saw them finishing with no more than 82 points at the absolute most. What did they finish with? 77 points?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Rangers already started their rebuilding last offseason but few noticed. When you trade Derek Stepan and a top backup goalie for futures, you're not truly a win-now team. They just couldn't be so overt about it until the trade deadline but they're clearly in full rebuild now, if they contend for a playoff spot it's strictly by accident.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think we finish 7th or 8th this year. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say one of Pit or Washington miss.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I saw this concept earlier and liked it.

This jersey is beyond sweet. I really miss the Xmas jerseys. 5ey absolutely have to wear the red green more then one time a year. And these whites are beautiful. I wish they changed the black to green

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad