Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So we'd have to pay him like 15m lol

So basically the NHL will consist of teams in FL, TX, LV to avoid taxes and the Leafs since everyone will play there at a discount because they are all from TOR. The rest of the league will fold because players will refuse to sign anywhere else.

Facetious obviously but at times it’s getting nutty with players seemingly only wanting to extend with a fairly small number of teams and some common themes are emerging.

Reactions: Billdo

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I have a cool theory that Hall wants to win SO badly he will take 9.5 for eight.

There are only a very select few in this league Id think would do it - Ovechkin was one of them before he won. Hall is too.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I have a cool theory that Hall wants to win SO badly he will take 9.5 for eight.

There are only a very select few in this league Id think would do it - Ovechkin was one of them before he won. Hall is too.

Don't sleep on this scenario. I can totally see Hall doing this.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Man the Sens are completely delusional.

... Had Ryan been included in any deal, the notion was that the team taking both Karlsson and Ryan would’ve had to fetch over less in return to absorb Ryan’s contract.

But according to Darren Dreger, that’s not how the Senators saw it. Speaking on TSN 1050’s OverDrive with Bryan Hayes, Jamie McLennan and Jeff O’Neill, the TSN Hockey Insider explained that the Sens were high on Ryan, despite him not exactly living up to his contract.

"Vegas sources indicating that Ottawa wouldn't put a value on taking the Ryan contract. Ottawa's perspective was, 'No, you're getting a decent NHL player here who happens to have an ugly contract. But it's a hockey trade.'"

From: https://www.bardown.com/nhl-insider...an-wasn-t-included-in-karlsson-deal-1.1172789

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Don't sleep on this scenario. I can totally see Hall doing this.
I think he is a very smart man and realizes he has made a lot of money already - more than most by his age in the NHL, as is his #1 pedigree. Him making 9.5 is fair for us and him, when normally its favored toward the player

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think he is a very smart man and realizes he has made a lot of money already - more than most by his age in the NHL, as is his #1 pedigree. Him making 9.5 is fair for us and him, when normally its favored toward the player

if he’s a very smart man he’ll realize that this is the biggest contract he’ll ever sign and he’ll want to take advantage, as he’s entitled to. he didn’t bring in a new agent to give us some sweetheart deal at 9.5, of which he’ll lose millions in taxes.

Reactions: Oneiro

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
if he’s a very smart man he’ll realize that this is the biggest contract he’ll ever sign and he’ll want to take advantage, as he’s entitled to. he didn’t bring in a new agent to give us some sweetheart deal at 9.5, of which he’ll lose millions in taxes.
Agree to disagree but not everyone needs extra money. Some people would rather have other things, such as better teammates which requires more cap.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think Hall will end up at 10.5-11M.

The team has the room, he's literally the most valuable player in the league relative to his team and there are too many comparable players who are less valuable and getting paid too much. You play hardball with guys like Wood and Severson, not the engine of your offense who has yet to slow down. As has been stated many times, we are probably getting the best of Hall before we give him his big payday but it doesn't matter when no one else is on the same level and there are sensible deals at nearly every other position.

Should he progress accordingly, the sweetheart deal I'm actually hoping for will be Nico's.

The one that worries me the most is Vatanen and possibly Mojo. (EDIT: This probably belongs in the other thread.)

Reactions: OmNomNom

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I would be happy with $10.5-11 per in hopes that in 4 or 5 years it looks like a steal. The cap will still most likely go up each year

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I also think a major factor with Hall is that he's seen how it is in a city like Edmonton where the fans and media are constantly hounding you compared to here where he can basically walk around as an unknown and have his private life actually be somewhat private.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
When he sees that D he's gonna revive that post-game where he's like, "they look like they lost their ability to play the game. I've never seen this before."

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

That answers my question from last week, I guess.

Imagine if he brought Stevens in too? Gross.

I don't think he will though, or else Stevens probably would have been there already. I'm sure Lou already offered him a job and if he accepted it, he would have taken it/it would have been announced before September most likely. I wouldn't rule out Stevens eventually coming in next year or in the coming years, but it looks like a foregone conclusion that he won't be there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad