Around The League 2018-19 Offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Guy may even stay put if cheapy man decides he doesn’t wanna pay him to go home and not coach anymore. Although the Sens are near the top of the league in coaching turnover since Melnyk has been there, so it’s not like he hasn’t paid over a half a dozen coaches to go home with years left on their deals since he’s been there. Unless he’s finally at the point where he won’t do that anymore either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Our recent situation was never THIS bad. It's one thing to have a broke owner, it's another to have a completely incompetent GM who handcuffs himself trading his best players and to have your two best players in a nasty public spat because of off-ice drama.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Our recent situation was never THIS bad. It's one thing to have a broke owner, it's another to have a completely incompetent GM who handcuffs himself trading his best players and to have your two best players in a nasty public spat because of off-ice drama.

Who knows... maybe San Jose said for an extended Karlsson you get Hertl. If he won't extend, you get less. Karlsson probably played a big part in where he went and what the return was. You can't tell me other teams weren't offering more.

The "insiders" started saying "San Jose is making a BIG PLAY for Karlsson" Turns out Wilson was probably laughing the entire time.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Looks a lot like what we paid to get Kovy, which doesn't bode well for the future of the OTTAWA Senators...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not even sure if the GM really is Dorion. He might be a complete and total figurehead for Melnyk.

When Bryan Murray was still alive and was GM there, he had to operate under Melnyk's budget, but he wasn't running the team into the ground. I'm guessing because Melnyk let him be and let him have complete control, because he was a long tenured and respected GM in the league for a couple decades. Come to think of it, he may have already been the GM there when Melnyk bought the team? Or maybe not?

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I compare it to the 2012-2013 Devils. After losing in the finals, JVB was broke. Players were getting paid late. Sponsors were backing out because the Devils were not honoring their side of the deals.
Any proof of this part? I don't remember this being rumored anywhere at the time and I feel like Rangers, Flyers, etc fans would never let us forget it if our team couldn't pay its bills.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Any proof of this part? I don't remember this being rumored anywhere at the time and I feel like Rangers, Flyers, etc fans would never let us forget it if our team couldn't pay its bills.
It was reported at the time that JVB was broke and that he requested an advance from the league on money they owed us, which was supposed to be paid at the end of the year, to help with payroll.

However, in a story exclusive to the New York Post, Josh Kosman (as in, this Kosman and this Kosman) reported today that Vanderbeek and the Devils may be in serious trouble. Citing a "source with direct knowledge of the situation," Kosman reports that Vanderbeek missed an interest payment of about $3 million in April. He also reported that the NHL advanced about $5 million to the team, the team apparently needs to sell some kind of minority stake in the team to raise cash, and that the league must approve all major financial decisions.

More Financial Problems for Vanderbeek & Devils?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

The league was paying the players’ salaries at some point. VBk had stiffed several vendors. My brother’s brother-in-law who’s an I-banker showed us industry reports that there was an enormous balloon payment due that he had no means of satisfying. The team was heading for bankruptcy if there wasn’t a sale.

It’s the reason why anyone who somehow thinks Harris/Blitzer are bad for the franchise and reminise that at least VBk “cared” should do everyone a favor and become Ranger fans.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I really feel bad for Sens fans. Their incomptent management over payed for Duchene and traded this years up coming draft pick to Avs, which is gonna f*** the Sens big time thanks to this trade that is going to only going to make them dog shit this year, which means they are gonna miss out on Jack Hughes or another top 10 pick.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
And they drafted Brady Tkachuk with the pick they did have. Brutal.

Karlsson to SJ is a good situation. The player and the team windows line up.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I still don’t understand at all the thought process of taking a lesser return so that you don’t have to play against a former player as much. If eastern teams were offering a better deal I think you have to take it minus maybe a huge rival.

Camille the Eel

Wow what a day after so much quiet.

It really doesn’t seem San Jose gave up that much for Karlsson. Besides the 1 first rounder (that won’t be high in that round) none of the other guys are prominent names. Tierney is hardly a game changer. Ottawa basically got a bunch of young warm bodies. Purchase of youth in bulk. I would hate to be an Ottawa fan. What on earth is going on in Canada’s capital city. No reason that shouldn’t be a bedrock franchise but instead it’s the pits.

Then nearly 10 million a year over (what?) the max eight years for Seguin in Dallas. I’d say 10 million per is now the floor for Taylor Hall. (Why do you suggest 9.5 I wonder Emperor Eddy? - Hall is better than or equal to Seguin and the caps going up and there’s general inflation too). Anyway Seguin was the only player around who is a legitimate comp for Hall in my view.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I still don’t understand at all the thought process of taking a lesser return so that you don’t have to play against a former player as much. If eastern teams were offering a better deal I think you have to take it minus maybe a huge rival.

It's especially idiotic if you're a rebuilding team that likely won't be in direct competition with whoever you're trading him to anyway. Part of me hopes Karlsson signs with another Atlantic team this summer now.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wow what a day after so much quiet.

It really doesn’t seem San Jose gave up that much for Karlsson. Besides the 1 first rounder (that won’t be high in that round) none of the other guys are prominent names. Tierney is hardly a game changer. Ottawa basically got a bunch of young warm bodies. Purchase of youth in bulk. I would hate to be an Ottawa fan. What on earth is going on in Canada’s capital city. No reason that shouldn’t be a bedrock franchise but instead it’s the pits.

Then nearly 10 million a year over (what?) the max eight years for Seguin in Dallas. I’d say 10 million per is now the floor for Taylor Hall. (Why do you suggest 9.5 I wonder Emperor Eddy? - Hall is better than or equal to Seguin and the caps going up and there’s general inflation too). Anyway Seguin was the only player around who is a legitimate comp for Hall in my view.

Seguin is a Center. Hall is a wing. The lesser value of the position should bring the price down to 9.5, which is still a big big contact.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree, but maybe the offers from eastern conf teams were not all that much better?

There are 2 levels of concern regarding Karlsson, the first is, you have to sign him, the 2nd is he will be a huge cap hit that will carry him well into his mid 30's.

I'm not that surprised, even with how good Karlsson is, that teams weren't lining up to give them good young players.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree, but maybe the offers from eastern conf teams were not all that much better?

There are 2 levels of concern regarding Karlsson, the first is, you have to sign him, the 2nd is he will be a huge cap hit that will carry him well into his mid 30's.

I'm not that surprised, even with how good Karlsson is, that teams weren't lining up to give them good young players.

Hell Tampa and Dallas were balking at giving up too much when a possible extension was on the table supposedly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hell Tampa and Dallas were balking at giving up too much when a possible extension was on the table supposedly.
ya, again, a signed Karlsson still brings the negative of a monster cap hit.

No one wants to give up a ton of young players and then pay a monster salary.

Or at least I thought it was bad call.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
sorry but i don’t see any scenario where hall signs for less than $10. he’ll probably be looking to make $9.5 after taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad